Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Do STEMfags have anything at all between their ears?

- Tue, 09 Apr 2019 00:44:49 EST AtxvGGY2 No.79348
File: 1554785089240.jpg -(6798B / 6.64KB, 268x188) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Do STEMfags have anything at all between their ears?
The STEM meme has been floating around for so long now that the people who associate themselves with it have a track record of behavioral patterns to analyze. One common behavior of the typical STEMfag is to loudly proclaim that they're more intelligent than those people who study the humanities and the evidence they provide of this is always someone else's achievement, usually the achievement of someone like Issac Newton who was an extensive studier of non-STEM topics and was able to achieve insight by not being a closed minded know-it-all. What is it about the humanities which upsets STEMfags so much? Why are those cringing cowardly sissies so frightened by things that can't be directly quantified? It seems so lame.
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Walter Weshnone - Tue, 09 Apr 2019 20:39:35 EST QiRUncgI No.79351 Reply
People are inherently hostile to things they themselves have difficulty understanding. Much moreso if other people seem to handle it without a problem. It shouldn't be very surprising that people with a high degree of ability in the hard sciences would have a low degree of ability in the humanities, and vice versa (it's been hundreds of years, as you allude, since leaders in the sciences were also sometimes leaders in the arts, and this has mostly to do with the time investment required for increasing technical specialization.)
So while I'm sure there's a lot of egging-on of this sort of behavior (who doesn't like to feel smug and superior to others?) I think mostly this is just a visible, cultural manifestation of neurodiversity.
>>
Ian Fallytetch - Wed, 10 Apr 2019 17:32:13 EST W+NmfR6e No.79354 Reply
>>79348

You are right. I mean you could type that and communicate with us over the internet with satellites in space, using a pc or another device with a built in computer chip, literally the most complex thing humans ever built, without engineers and scientists. You and all your beloved ones would also grow old without problems without the achievements of modern medicine. But none of us could live without knowing Plato's The Cave or Kant's Categorical Imperative or ever reading Macbeth by Shakespeare. So why not make a deal? You won't touch anything discovered and invented by "STEM" (nobody actually uses that word except marketing people/politicians) people while none of us "STEM" people will ever open one of "your" books. We will all die out within days while you will a happy life without stress and fear, that is a win win, isn't it? If not I'm going back to reading Being and Time by Heidegger while laughing at these "STEM" peasants, I got plenty of time because I'm chronically unemployed with my comparative feminist literature degree but they deserve paying me social assistance because I provide value to society, in contrast to "STEM" idiots. Checkmate, "STEM" fucks.
>>
Jarvis Honeydock - Wed, 10 Apr 2019 18:46:52 EST WRTudS/z No.79355 Reply
1554936412369.jpg -(26898B / 26.27KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>79354
Once you're done rewarding yourself credit for other people's achievements you should open a history book and read about how Newton, Kepler and all the rest of the gang were all well rounded individuals with broad knowledge and interests. You might also find out that their widely dispersed areas of study allowed them to combine ideas from diverse fields to solve seemingly unrelated problems. Newton was a philosopher, so was Ernst Mach, they both were able to take advantage of broad perspective in a way STEMtards never will. You and you ilk don't have it within you to understand even the most basic equations in any more depth than whatever the minimum acceptable academic standards are, meaningful thought or discovery is out of your depth.
>>
Nigel Fagglebury - Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:07:30 EST QiRUncgI No.79356 Reply
>>79355
I don't know if a fledgling /STEM/ can handle the icy chill of these stone cold facts.
>>
Molly Blatherville - Thu, 11 Apr 2019 13:29:33 EST 20fvFpf2 No.79358 Reply
1555003773162.jpg -(137460B / 134.24KB, 500x332) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>79355

Did you even read my post or are your reading skills just bad? You didn't answer my questions. But whatever. Storytime.

When I say I read Plato, Kant and Heidegger I actually read them, not just saying that to mock you. I didn't give a fuck about "STEM" until I turned 20 or 21. I speak German and Russian fluently and learned Latin for 9 years and English for 7 years (yes, I learned English as my 4th language). I majored in English and had to read and write about Macbeth, it was rather boring because the old Greeks already wrote about that son-kills-father-and-fucks-mother type of stuff, the shit that got Jung and Freud so hard. Some people of whom I have works on the bookshelf beside my desk: Nietzsche, Thoreau, Rosseau, Kierkegaard, Tolstoi, Sophokles, Aristoteles, Wittgenstein, Foucault, Derrida, Heisenberg, Russell, Sartre, Camus, Benjamin, Kripke, Rilke, Adorno, Benn, Schopenhauer, Goethe. This is a small selection, just so you get the gist. But wait, one funny thing: Asimov. Apart from his great fiction, I got 'Chronology of the World' by him. From wikipedia: "Asimov's Chronology of the World is a 1991 book by Isaac Asimov, in which the author explains in chronological order important events that happened from the Big Bang until the end of World War II. Each chapter covers a certain time period. The chapter is then broken down into headings for each important empire or country of the time and describes the events that happened there during that chapter's time period."

Motherfucker do you even know what the fuck you started when you made your post? What the fuck you got yourself into when you came to this board and started to type away? I have the history of the world on my desk. At my fingertips. And you are lecturing me about "YoU DoNT KNoW hiStOry?!?". FUCK. YOU.

Another funny thing: I actually started studying philosphy. I was bored out of my mind, wrote papers about Derrida and Foucault in my first semester, getting top grades, but BORED. AS. FUCK. Everybody was stupid as fuck, wannabe-philosopher-hipster-hehehuhu while they mostly just read Harry Potter before starting to study. The only thing you could talk about with these people is what their favorite coffee shop is or where to find a good thrift shop. My interest for "STEM" was awakened by what philosophers had to say about nature and consciousness, because that was what I was interested in: TRUTH. But to actually understand that stuff, you have to study "STEM", not works of fiction or the ramblings of a philosopher. And I started to study CS with a minor in Mathematics. At one of the best institutes in the world, there is cutting edge research in robotics and AI here. Shit that actually boggles your mind when you start to get involved and get to talk to the people in charge. We got 2 Fields Medalists at the Math institute across the street. I'm a mere peasant to these gods, I'm nothing, I'm a piece of shit compared to them, you know, a 50 IQ retard, fucking illiterate. I'm willing to go on stage with any of your important philosophers still living, who do you got? Chomsky, Chalmers maybe? Dennett? Habermas? Judith FUCKING BUTLER? HAHA. FUCK. I will debate them on any topic of their choosing and I could hold my ground. Yes, I'm not going overboard, "HURDUR I WOULD DESTROY THEM", because I would not. But I could hold my ground, 100%. But I'm scared to even stand near a Fields Medalist. I AM SHITTING MY PANTS WHEN THESE GUYS WALK DOWN THE HALLWAY, SON.

I can talk about anything with my class mates, because they are FUCKING SMART. I'm an idiot compared to some of them. And we build cool stuff. For free. We contribute to the open source community, software that people actually use, millions of them. You too, OP, just in this moment, it is very likely that you use software which contains a couple of lines of code written by me. It's a pleasure, no need to thank me.

Fuck man, you are not even worth it. But between reading papers and solving problems, it is always good to take a time out and rant away. I would prefer meditation and LSD with weeklong solo retreats in nature, but there is no time for that in everyday life, obviously. Summer is near though, I can't wait. In the meantime a good rant is always welcome. Thank you, sir, for the opportunity. Now I'm going back to work (I'm working on motion and path planning algorithms and their implementation, so robots and cars and all kinds of machines can learn to fucking move and be useful to all human beings, even you, OP).
>>
Nigel Fagglebury - Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:46:23 EST QiRUncgI No.79359 Reply
1555011983105.jpg -(7850B / 7.67KB, 272x185) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>79358
>>look how sophisticated an intellectual I am, I can beat my chest about my enlightened woketude until I get to the character limit.
Stahp. You're making us humanities/science ppl look bad (can't tell which you're repping for at this point, you just sound butthurt and condescending.)
>>
Wesley Blanningwure - Fri, 12 Apr 2019 21:36:03 EST dMB264Ep No.79360 Reply
>>79358

Couldn't handle Kant, huh?

Also, lol@Thoreau and Goethe
>>
press - Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:05:32 EST P8IZvbAs No.79364 Reply
1555160732925.jpg -(19341B / 18.89KB, 342x401) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>79362
ne wirklich, halt die fresse.guck mal lieber die sendung mit der maus.
>>
Albert Bagglestock - Wed, 17 Apr 2019 23:57:14 EST AtxvGGY2 No.79375 Reply
1555559834758.jpg -(140141B / 136.86KB, 720x442) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>79364
>krautshit
User is currently banned from all boards
>>
Hugh Crammleville - Thu, 02 May 2019 14:10:06 EST OKg3wZIp No.79408 Reply
1556820606395.jpg -(1147313B / 1.09MB, 900x1186) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Read this cool children's book which eventually concludes that science and art are best in harmony, inspiring scientific experiments and informing creativity.
>>
Cornelius Hassletere - Thu, 30 May 2019 11:32:07 EST WocNHwEi No.79428 Reply
i think you forgot that academics aren't really envyed or respected by anyone but autists. you got confused in your development and now you think we give a shit, mistakenly. keked though so thanks.
>>
>>
Bombastus !uYErosQbLM!!Mybq1UbK - Sun, 02 Jun 2019 20:47:09 EST 3SBAXAcH No.79432 Reply
>>79364
imagine using same language that kant and einstein did

stallion.
>>
A_Wizard !cMZsY.BCnU!!vVWR8L52 - Mon, 03 Jun 2019 02:19:49 EST q9iuPyWA No.79435 Reply
>>79432
Einstein was a hack.... I can't really say much about kant that isn't better stated against those those neo-kants though.
>>
Charles Blopperway - Wed, 05 Jun 2019 20:24:08 EST zigV4Iei No.79445 Reply
>>79442
no one person could possibly have lived up to the absurd comic-book supergenius reputation that einstein and other "famous" scientists like stephen hawking have painted for themselves. not even gauss, newton or socrates. if you need anecdotes to back up this claim they can be supplied, therefore the ball is now in your court to prove me wrong.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.