Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Living past 122.

- Tue, 09 Jul 2019 16:35:39 EST MjqcGRw1 No.79486
File: 1562704539144.jpg -(127598B / 124.61KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Living past 122.
So far, humanity's all time high score for living is 122 years and 164 days.
That's using the old fashion technique of health, wealth and happiness.

What I want to know is, if we cheated nature a bit with current or future technology, how long could we live?
>>
trypto - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 00:21:23 EST e7DBlkgA No.79487 Reply
Jesus christ. I can't imagine living past 50 without putting a bullet in my brain. Past 120? Holy shit.What fresh hell
>>
trypto - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 00:26:13 EST e7DBlkgA No.79488 Reply
>>79486
And say you wanted that old fucker to live past 122 years and 164 days. Modern science could prolong that life for a long time. Stick an IV in there. A feeding tube. Maybe intubate if the lungs aren't working great. If the kidneys are failing, throw in a dialysis machine. As long as the heart and liver are kinda working, you're A-OK.

I don't think they ever do all those things because 1) it's extremely cruel torture, and 2) it's expensive.

Fuck quantity of life, you want quality.
>>
trypto - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 00:28:29 EST e7DBlkgA No.79489 Reply
>>79488
Also something to think about for my hypothetical torture: infection would be a huge concern. Get a bed sore, it will get infected and you die. Sweet sweet death
>>
Isabella Suffingwill - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 03:41:11 EST d7Xsimm/ No.79492 Reply
>>79486
Jeanne Calment's backstory was fake, she was really on 99 when she died
>>
trypto - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 13:15:35 EST e7DBlkgA No.79493 Reply
>>79491
LOL. Sorry.

Here's my understanding. you have the genetic lottery that makes you predisposed to all sorts of things: cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, depression, diabeetus, etc. Then you have the socio-economic lottery of what you are or aren't exposed to while growing up: carcinogens, education, physical trauma, heavy metals, emotional trauma, poor diet, etc. Then you have the lottery of what actually happens. If you don't have a predisposition to cancer, and you grow up living a healthy lifestyle... there's still a chance you can up and get cancer. DNA mutations happen. You could just get really unlucky. It's like each year, you're rolling the dice on that 0.5% chance of cancer, or cracking your skull on the pavement. Shit happens.

But when people luck out on all of those lotteries, there's still just a large chance of dying when you're past 70, and it keeps getting worse every year. The max that humans can live to about 115 if they luck out on those first two lotteries. But then aging catches up with those lucky people. Blood vessels weaken. Skin weakens. The immune system weakens. Even if you're living healthy, there's still slight damage to your lungs and heart every year. Those are the general effects of aging. It's an entire field, and people have been obsessed with it for thousands of years. 10 years ago, there was a lot of talk about lengthening telomeres (the ends of chromosomes) as a cure-all for aging, but I think that's fallen out of favour.

There's a few model organisms scientists study for clues about how to lengthen lifepan. Obviously, they're curious about turtles because they live so long. but they're really tough to study. Naked mole rats are an interesting model organism. They're rodents, but they can live to around 30 years. Compare that to brown rats, which only live 2 years. But they're pretty similar genetically. That's why they study them - because mouse and rat biology is extremely well-studied. Look up the naked mole rats.

IF we were able to slow down (or stop) the aging process, then a human could theoretically live until they're unlucky enough to get hit by a bus.
>>
Samuel Crovingsudge - Sat, 27 Jul 2019 05:29:37 EST UgVeGQim No.79516 Reply
According to Vonderplanitz many tribal people live up to 150 or beyond. The government suppresses this info of course, so that you think that all the stuff that happens to you as a result of your diet and lifestyle is due to aging. The little red spots you get on your body, your knees getting sore, stuff like that.
>>
Phoebe Bunshaw - Sun, 28 Jul 2019 05:51:12 EST 1Ow/33pg No.79521 Reply
Cyborg of Theseus problem, anybody?

With transplantation and prosthetics becoming more and more advanced, isn't it theoretically possible to start replacing old, failing organs with viable young ones? If you could get a supply of young donors, that is.
>>
Henry Tootforth - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:41:59 EST IAb14Kn7 No.79542 Reply
>>79488
You forgot one very important organ.... the brain.
It usually starts to degenerate in old age (around 60-70 for most people), and i'm not just tallking about Alzheimers. Alzheimers is long-term degeneration of the neurons, and will serve as a slow killer.

One thing is getting a stroke - get a blood clot or an aneurysm in the wrong part of the brain ends it right then and there.

Another condition is getting hundreds to thousands of small "micro-bleedings" in the brain. Not only might it be the leading cause in the case of "natural death", but onset and expiration due to this might even be completely symptom-free and unbeknownst to the patient, and might even happen if the patient is otherwise completely healthy.
If any symptoms of this are even discovered, it's often just a bout of mild headaches or dementia comparable to very early Alzheimer's stages.

Keep in mind, the human body is only built to last maybe 40-50 years in nature... science only made sure that we don't fall apart after that point... and then only for a small part of the body. A good deal of the age-related degeneration of the body has very little chance of getting cured.
While the body itself might degenerate quicker, and parts can be replaced and transplanted - the brain is ultimately the hard limit on our lifespan. Keep in mind that a brain upload might only create a copy of you, not keep the actual you alive.

If you ask me, a consistent life expectation of 100 years is pretty realistic, but 110 or 120 will be stretching it. 130 and beyond? I don't hold much faith in that.
Keep in mind that little to none of those people did fad diets or did an excessive amount of excercise.... look at the nation with the highest life expectancy in the world, Japan. The national cuisine is well-rounded and includes a lot of nutritional food. Hell even their traditional fast food, sushi, is healthy af. Combine that with a well-oiled healthcare system and a healthy outlook on old age, you can see why rather quickly.

On the other hand, what you often see with the people that grow really old, is that they don't stop engaging and activating themselves after retirement age. They usually either keep working or keep themselves engaged with a hobby or interest into their old age...
>>
Thomas Hunninglork - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 11:01:07 EST zCQgmjjm No.79543 Reply
>>79521
> Cyborg of Theseus problem, anybody?
Well at least in a trivial case of where the normal biological function of the body replaces every molecule with another one several time of the lifetime of the organism it's not an issue.
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Sat, 17 Aug 2019 12:33:14 EST uEs3Hpo/ No.79544 Reply
>>79487
>>79488
It's quite a foreign feeling seeing posts like this on the futurism board...

Anyway, once you transfer your brain into a completely cybernetic body (which is the obvious implication), it's just a matter of maintaining the brain. So what do we have to do to supply the brain with what it needs and how long can we do that? I mean for all we know you could live forever but being in an unfamiliar shell might give a person some sort of debilitating mental disorder.
>>
Rebecca Sorringkadge - Tue, 20 Aug 2019 09:32:18 EST SiTjvWrH No.79546 Reply
>>79542

> what you often see with the people that grow really old, is that they don't stop engaging and activating themselves after retirement age. They usually either keep working or keep themselves engaged with a hobby or interest into their old age...

This is very true. All the old people I know that you wouldn't immediately classify as "old" (despite being as old as 80) work, or are members of neighborhood associations or some sort of clubs or are avid bikers or swimmers or the like. You can't live forever doing nothing. Boredom kills in many ways, most indirect.
>>
A_Wizard !cMZsY.BCnU!!vVWR8L52 - Sat, 07 Sep 2019 02:03:46 EST u5q+UPgU No.79578 Reply
>>79486
Just extend your damned telomeres. Done.
>>
Eugene Mullerlire - Tue, 10 Sep 2019 04:15:16 EST W+fNKKVr No.79579 Reply
>>79486
IIRC we're part of generations that will actually die younger then the generation before them, mostly becasue of shit diets and lack of exercises.

Tough titties op, you gonna die young.
You too thermo, you can't escape death it will take you and you're alcoholic liver
>>
>>
James Chirringfoot - Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:34:54 EST W+fNKKVr No.79592 Reply
>>79580
Holy shit, i didn't now that? Sure that obesity isn't a cause? It seems so likely when i see all them whales wobling around
>>
Beatrice Denkinshaw - Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:04:23 EST cbqxINXZ No.79593 Reply
>>79592
Well, sometimes fat people hate themselves for being fat, which can lead to drugs (OD) and depression (suicide).
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Fri, 04 Oct 2019 03:19:46 EST uEs3Hpo/ No.79615 Reply
>>79579
>>79587
Wtf my diet consists of home cooked meals made with organic and grass fed ingredients and all that shit, either grown in the garden or bought from local co-ops. I also walk daily. Plus i'm not an alcoholic, I don't even drink much really.

Unfortunately i'll actually probably die super ugly due to mouth cancer from non-stop cigar and pipe smoking. Shame it can't be prevented.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.