Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Real working lightsaber

- Mon, 26 Aug 2019 16:47:38 EST 8UA92SFd No.79565
File: 1566852458568.gif -(32215B / 31.46KB, 600x531) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Real working lightsaber
I have come up with a method. I just lack the technical know how.
You would need basic laser technology, but modified so that the laser gas is generated from the surrounding air with an oxygen concentrator. If you could manage to push enough energy through it, you could have a cutting laser. Now, there are ways to magnify the laser into more of a blade, but the issue is a laser just goes on and on, it doesnt stop. So you would need a way to stop it. I suggest a telescoping heat resistant pole that extends when activated, at the end of which is a circular beam trap. Instead of one laser, this design would call for a circle of beams around the inner pole which would make a wider blade. The inner pole could also likely be used to block. The lasers would only be for heat.

Cons:
Cant be used for stabbing
is like a first gen prototype and not so combat worthy
im not sure a metal strong enough exists
im not sure enough power could be made portable unless a mini generator was invented

Pros:
would absolutely cut and burn,
would definitely resemble a lightsaber.
is absolutely possible

add ideas or use this stuff guys, lets become jedi
>>
Nathaniel Fiffingseck - Tue, 03 Sep 2019 19:43:33 EST zCQgmjjm No.79573 Reply
>>79565
Do you know this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRAyIXgWBWc

There's also another one where they go more into technical detail on how to archive that with real tech. I think it was using a plasma arc.
I don't remember the link but they also were using the telescoping pole idea.

The problem with lasers is that they aren't efficient enough even if you had the power to drive them (a few MW ,that's an M for mega yep)
Using the air as lasing medium is neat in theory but has the problem that you'd also radiate energy in all directions

All in all if you had sold state lasers that have 100% efficiency (It's somewhat achievable if you cool the lasers down enough so the thermodynamic equilibrium is flipped, system efficiency is still below 100%)
They've done that with LEDs.
Which brings me to the other point: You don't need 100% coherent light so do not need lasers, LEDs would suffice

Another technology that could in theory generate awesome amount of light energy are nantennas. (nano antennas)
There's research on using nano-scale structures to capture sunlight and turn it into electricity. This process can be reversed.
The advantage is that the upper bound on efficiency is only dictated by the resistivity losses which can be zero if you use superconductors.

I'll post the link to the how to build a real lightsaber tutorial once I find it.
>>
A_Wizard !cMZsY.BCnU!!vVWR8L52 - Sat, 07 Sep 2019 02:01:51 EST u5q+UPgU No.79576 Reply
>>79565
>pole
>laser
>circle of beams
None of these is a lightsaber. Why the fuck does A Wizard have to come to /stem/ to fix this shit for you?
PLASMA! A lightsaber should be PLASMA!
>but why
Because a plasma will work properly and allow you to go through steel with it and not have to worry about loss from reflective surfaces and all that other shit... but more importantly, a plasma can be held in form by a magnetic field. Now, by using a plasma instead of a simple laser, the only question is by what means you will be generating and shaping this magnetic field, to hold and sustain the plasma while you flail it around at things.
So, you don't need a pole, you don't need anything on the other end, you just need to generate the field in the appropriate shape and with some serious strength... hmm, well I answered the question.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.