Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Suggestions for Combinatorics

- Sat, 19 Oct 2019 19:14:55 EST 5G0eWq+5 No.79639
File: 1571526895463.png -(261126B / 255.01KB, 968x970) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Suggestions for Combinatorics
I'm a rising graduate student in Mathematica who thinks one of my interests may lie in combinatorial theory. I haven't been formally introduced to it in a lecture, so I'm looking for suggestions in resources to look into.

Firstly, does anyone have recommendations for an intro to combinatorics book that is good? Something readable but also worth the effort?

Second, if anyone could give me a rundown of what topics I need to be well versed in before getting into combinatorics, I'd love to check all those boxes first.

Thanks for any help.
>>
j jihad - Mon, 09 Dec 2019 14:21:10 EST bnxv8VkG No.79708 Reply
Sure, I can recommend the book they use at a top 15 US uni to teach it. I'll pull this information from the course description.

ISBN 978-981-3148-84-0
A Walk Through Combinatorics 4th edition
Author: Miklos Bona

I took the class for a few weeks but had to drop the term for some personal reasons. I think we used a different book back then, but this is what the current professor is using.

Class title is "Combinatorics and Discrete Mathematics" - not sure how strictly on-topic the book will be as a result.
>>
trypto - Wed, 11 Dec 2019 19:22:59 EST o3YVeS9z No.79709 Reply
>>79639
IDK, But that's fuckin awesome that you're gonna be studying combinawhatsits.

Do you know about difference equations? Just another word for recursion relations, I think. Fractals and whatnot. I think it's combinatoric-adjacent.

Discrete mathematics is the fucking shit.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.