Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Drugs from Yeast

- Tue, 19 Nov 2019 14:28:29 EST +/RBoDwy No.79685
File: 1574191709885.jpg -(469912B / 458.90KB, 976x1280) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Drugs from Yeast
>We combined enzyme discovery, enzyme engineering, and pathway and strain optimization to realize full opiate biosynthesis in yeast. The resulting opioid biosynthesis strains required expression of 21 (thebaine) and 23 (hydrocodone) enzyme activities from plants, mammals, bacteria, and yeast itself. This is a proof-of-principle, and major hurdles remain before optimization and scale up could be achieved.

The opioid crisis is about to get a lot worse and the potential here is limitless. Psilocybin, THC, cocaine, you fucking name it can all be made with this technology. Genetically modified yeast are going to be the Nagasaki and Hiroshima of the war on drugs.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924617/
>>
Cedric Bungermedge - Tue, 19 Nov 2019 21:37:19 EST 0TndV3eQ No.79686 Reply
>>79685
ye most of the papers claim they add stuff to prevent illegal use (some gene that requires a very specific signal molecule/nutient) but realistically I am sure these will be able to be cracked.
Most drugs/foods/chemicals will come from these sources in the future. Look up Ginko labs for an example of fabrication of perfume using yeast.

My largest concern is not cheap drugs but that these microbes might get into the environment and fuck stuff up in very bizarre ways.
>>
Lydia Ficklekeg - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 01:30:22 EST 0m/jM2RG No.79687 Reply
>The opioid crisis is about to get a lot worse and the potential here is limitless.
I think you confused the yeast with a laboratory where chemical synthesis of extremely potent chemicals are done for stupidly cheap amounts of money.
>>
James Randi - Fri, 22 Nov 2019 03:47:59 EST r0HEuDIp No.79689 Reply
>>79686
I think you're right, the danger is if this yeast escapes into the wild and starts reproducing.

God damn it humanity.
>>
Fuck Hicklefield - Fri, 22 Nov 2019 20:25:56 EST YNPx/U60 No.79690 Reply
>>79686

That's the number one GMO argument.

the way that the DNA is inserted into the organism and then selected for is a simple bit of code for making an enzyme that disables an antibiotic.

so uhh, yeah, the standard is making antibiotic resistant organisms that have modifications...

it is probably fine. nature isn't so special anyway
>>
Wesley Snodford - Fri, 22 Nov 2019 21:13:30 EST 0LOysLDU No.79691 Reply
Haters gonna hate but this is awesome.

>claim they add stuff to prevent illegal use (some gene that requires a very specific signal molecule/nutient)

Can't wait for the MeNDeL scene group to release a crack for this organic DRM.
>>
Caroline Sattingwill - Thu, 28 Nov 2019 03:27:16 EST YNPx/U60 No.79695 Reply
IN BREAKing news He has disappeared.

So first scientist to perform CRISPR on twin girls to prevent AIDS got blackbagged by china.

looking forward to the great leap forward
>>
William Cannerdock - Sat, 30 Nov 2019 12:29:12 EST iTw4Wqu4 No.79703 Reply
If i understood this correctly the yields of this process are so low that it would only be viable on an industrial scale, so you can forget about fiddling with jam jars and carboys in your garage, at least for now.
>>
Beatrice Huddlefoot - Thu, 05 Dec 2019 15:29:38 EST zCQgmjjm No.79705 Reply
>>79703
Well then what's to stop anybody from building a large scale bio-centrifuge out of a washing machine or something like that?

Also as I understand it the impressive thing about crispr tech is that this isn't limited to one specific organism.
So I'm looking forward to THC blueberries

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.