Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Aliminum to "Extend" Audio Jack Cable

- Wed, 03 Oct 2018 22:52:21 EST VoJoQBVu No.122027
File: 1538621541151.jpg -(62755B / 61.28KB, 446x660) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Aliminum to "Extend" Audio Jack Cable
Hey guys!

Alright, I'm really bad when it comes to things like this, hence this (very likely) stupid post.

The right side of my Audio-Technica headphones isn't working anymore. I don't know whether or not it's merely the cable.

Here's the thing though: I can't test it with a spare audio jack because of its design. It is too deep than for me to reach the actual port.

The picture highlights the aforementioned problem so that hopefully by now you understand what I'm going on about. So to sum it up, the "overextending" part of the cable is supposed to go in as well, so that it is far enough to make contact.

So finally here comes my question. Could I just put some aluminum foil at the end of the cable in order to reach the port and establish a connection? Or, is this the worst and dumbest idea in the history of /tech/? Also what would be the potential risks (assuming it is even worth trying).

Well at least I'm asking before doing anything since I really don't want to wreck my headphones, which I truly love and miss so much.

Thanks in advance my friends. Any tip on how to test if it's just the cable or not will definitely be greatly appreciated.
>>
CharlesHivingwater.ram - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 23:57:57 EST WPhxa/LE No.122028 Reply
Aluminum foil might be usable for diagnostic purposes, but I would bet against you. I'm guessing you don't have a multimeter to test the cable, but don't you have anything else that can take 3.5mm stereo input like a computer?
>>
NathanielMangerbanks.phtml - Thu, 04 Oct 2018 00:35:14 EST VoJoQBVu No.122029 Reply
>>122028
The cable is male on both sides. So yeah, I can definitely output it to my computer.

But again the problem is the completely unreachable input coming from the headset end.

Like, none of my jack cables fit through that hole.
>>
CharlesHivingwater.ram - Thu, 04 Oct 2018 03:57:54 EST WPhxa/LE No.122030 Reply
>>122029
If you can output to your computer, you can work out whether both audio channels are coming through the cable.
>>
PollyNushwud.ds - Thu, 04 Oct 2018 09:07:18 EST bFee7tEo No.122032 Reply
I thought M50xs came with 3 cables.
>>
ErnestClabbletire.cdt - Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:18:01 EST b7iD2Hzl No.122037 Reply
>>122032
I have a m40x and it has 2 cables. The thibg i don't like about it are the movibg earpads. Seems fragile.
>>
HannahSonningtot.log - Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:36:37 EST YBprVGkT No.122081 Reply
>>122037
The thing I don't like it is I had an M50x with the swappable cables. Well I jiggled it around 'cos I had the one cable I liked and it would generally bring the left side back to working. Thing is, when I tried the other cables, it turned out that it's the single non-replaceable part of the connection that broke.

Call me paranoid but it seemed intentional.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.