Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Action-Cams and SD-cards just suck dirty Donkey-Pubes

- Mon, 20 May 2019 16:58:36 EST IpasVrxx No.122284
File: 1558385916786.jpg -(20583B / 20.10KB, 500x334) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Action-Cams and SD-cards just suck dirty Donkey-Pubes
Got myself an old GoPro from a friend and bought an YI Discovery Action Cam and a 29.- Cam from Victure.

>GoPro destroyed (?) two MicroSD-cards. Won't recognise inserted SD-Cards
>"Please insert SD-Card Error"
>Format SD-Card with over Action-Cam-Options (takes over 2 hours for 64gb!)
>"Please insert SD-Card Error"
>Trying different SD Card, different speeds, different sizes
>testing SD-Card with Smart-Phone and SD-Card-Reader:
>SD-Card not damaged. works fine.
>tired by spending so much $$$ on fucking SD-Cards and waiting weeks for them to arrive
>trying external tools from "SD-Card-Formatter" to "USB Disk Formatting Tool"
>cam still an asshole, not wanting to accept any SD-Card!

>Same problems with YIDiscovery

>trying cheap ass "Victure Action Cam"
>using integrated SD-Card-fromatting
>after 45 minutes: Can use cam !!!
>Happy with the results I decide to ditch the GoPro and YI

>buy another Victure
>"Please instert SD-Cam"-error all over again.

Can someone please kill the Action-Cam-market with a fire?
How the fuck is this even acceptable?!
>>
BasilMinningtidge.pct - Tue, 21 May 2019 03:00:30 EST cgnvADF/ No.122285 Reply
>>122284
I think the sd cads expect are expected to use FAT32 being 32gigs and under. While cards over 64 gig cards expect exFAT. I would use Windows, or linux to format as opposed to the cams. Unless it is just working correctly.

One thing I have noticed that a filesystem on a card can become corrupted. Card not readable, no card found, cannot format, etc. Same with external HDs,

Where wiping the card or drive, zeroing it out prepares a card to accept a filesystem, like formatting from the format utility in windows that 'had' said, "cannot be formatted", if the filesystem had became corrupted.

I have found command line wiping (zeroing-out) of a corrupted external hd, SD card within a linux distribution is an easy fix if a card seems to be fried.

S0, I don't own a gopro, but deleting files, or then using the reset option I believe it may
damage the filesystem, to render it seemingly useless.

So I think keep it simple, use fat32 for 32gigs, Over 64 use extfat. backup card before deleting files.
If card is unreadable don't necessarily expect formatting to work. But zero the card. Then format the card to correct filesystem. I also assume the utility to format from the go-pro may not always work-out
how the card needs to be formatted.
>>
WilliamBroffingfire.chm - Wed, 22 May 2019 17:08:42 EST C7IrPxTW No.122288 Reply
Micro SD cards are quite fragile.

Meaning the number of write cycles that a particular sector/cell can do before it is no longer usable. This is especially true if that SD card has been used in a phone before to store apps/extend the memory.
To mitigate this issue don't cheap out, get a brand sd card which has a better controller chip that can detect bad cells better. You can also format the sd card to a little less than full capacity (lets say you have 64gig, format it to 60gig)
To do that delete the partition on the sd card and create one that is slightly smaller.

There might also be a way to "detect" bad cells on the pc by some fancy formatting tool like you used to be able with hard disks and bad sector check but I am not aware of any such tool that I could quote from memory.

TLDR, yes it's probably both your SD cards and not your cameras. Buy some new cards, srsly they are cheap as fuck.
>>
WilliamBroffingfire.chm - Wed, 22 May 2019 17:17:54 EST C7IrPxTW No.122289 Reply
I did forget to mention the technical reason:

Flash memory cells break all the time while you are using solid state storage. What happens is that the controller chip automatically remaps the dead cells during operation onto fresh ones based on integrity checks. But that can only work if the controller firmware is good enough to do it and if it has enough spare cellls to map to.
So the worst thing you can do is to fill a sd card to the brim with content and constantly write to it.
>>
BarnabySellerpetch.bud - Thu, 23 May 2019 16:26:12 EST WiHnLmtE No.122290 Reply
>>122289
SD cards are not doing a lot of this and their write endurance is relatively low.
They do wear leveling, not overprovisioning. They don't have spare blocks, at least nothing like the 7%-15% an SSD does, they just try to preserve the ones they have.
>>
CyrilSerryten.ico - Fri, 24 May 2019 08:36:45 EST C7IrPxTW No.122292 Reply
>>122290
Interesting, I always thought you can't have one without the other. This certainly would suck and would make sd card essentially a consumable (will break after a few time of being filled)

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.