Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

PS3 gone wrong, what HDD should I jam in it?

- Thu, 04 Jul 2019 16:02:29 EST GPz567yS No.122337
File: 1562270549178.jpg -(3464397B / 3.30MB, 4000x3000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. PS3 gone wrong, what HDD should I jam in it?
After 9 years my PS3 slim is finally acting up, it has three beeps and red lights which means it's got issues with overheating. I suspect the HDD is on its last legs because it got really slow, just look at that time requiring to copy a PS1 game to the HDD. I was like "wow that CD speed is crazy slow", so I tried playing MGS2 for PS2 (not HD Edition) when the PS3 shut itself off, just before some really scary sounds coming from what I suspect was HDD. I tried backing up my saves but it's so slow I halted it as HDD was making those dying sounds again. It could be the power unit is dusty and clogged up but I think the HDD is the culprit here, hence asking the question here instead on video games board.

So most likely the HDD is dead and I want to replace it but for the love of fuck can't decide which one. Toshiba L200, P300, WD Blue or HGST Travelstar (specifically Z7K500) all 1TB. Please tell me your experiences or recommendations if you have.
>>
LillianBlesslenug.xls - Thu, 04 Jul 2019 16:22:10 EST GPz567yS No.122338 Reply
Forgot to mention that reviews for said HDDs are all in the range from four to five stars on Newegg, Amazon and other shit. Some say to never buy a WD, some Hitachi, Sandisk and so on, the information is very conflicting.
On a somewhat unrelated note, opinions on Adata?
>>
ShittingBoblingheck.xls - Fri, 05 Jul 2019 01:08:10 EST /hoc9j4v No.122340 Reply
>>122337
The wiser folks who have been around seem to know or say WD is what to get. I have never had a WD fail after basically every other brand known did fail at some point.

WD blue is maybe what you want. But any drive can fail at any time. The others are fine as well.

May sound lame but never used it either but grc spinrite, I think is freeware, nobody complains
about it saving data correctly if it can.
>>
MollyFiffingshaw.msg - Fri, 05 Jul 2019 11:02:02 EST L2C5g5UB No.122341 Reply
>>122340
Why did I never heard of SpinRite, this will certainly serve its purpose, thanks for this.
>>
JennyPevingwurk.asp - Sat, 06 Jul 2019 19:00:37 EST x0tX8H5O No.122345 Reply
>>122341
A simple note, the more often one boots up a failing drive the more difficult it will be to recover data. If it is failing. As it will be incorrectly writing data to the drive.

If it is making kinda grumbling sounds while seeking data it is almost certainly failing.
>>
IsabellaHucklewill.dun - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 11:05:22 EST SvorcNit No.122354 Reply
>>122345
Yeah, it's definitely failing. I'll try to recover a couple of savegames if possible and replace it with a Toshiba L200 when it arrives. Rip ye olde PS3 hard drive, you've served me well all those years.
>>
CarolineWorthingspear.pct - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 13:21:15 EST bpzP1D2s No.122355 Reply
>>122341
Spinrite kinda sucks in this day and age. There are a few things it can do, but it's getting to be a pretty dark ages tool at this point. Most failures these days are things Spinrite just can't fix.
It's also a more dangerous tool than other recovery methods as its main mode relies on flipping bits and rewriting them, which could be bad depending how far gone the drive is. But if you can't boot it and don't have a better tool go for it.
But I had a drive with an NTFS filesystem on it that just needed a specific recovery utility to get past the fact that Windows would refuse to mount it. This thing had an actual head crash when I dropped my laptop, and spinrite would have straight up killed it.

I say this knowing spinrite would have actually fixed my SSD, which proved difficult to image thanks to a grand total of about 12 megabytes of read errors left over from when it actually had failure and I had to reinstall Windows.

But 20 minutes of RTFM later and I got dd to pad the unreadables with zeroes. Rewrote the drive and it was fine.

But anyway the rule of thumb is anything you want back but not so bad as to get expensive forensic hard drive recovery is a good candidate for spinrite.
>>
EbenezerPopperhall.css - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:38:45 EST WcG+z847 No.122359 Reply
>>122354
Damn, I had a lot of relly cool pictures. But windows was acting odd, I know what program did it. So my ultimate fix is reinstalling. installing Windows is usually
trivial. But lost a lot of really cool pictures. So then I immediately learned to create a drive for storage in case windows fails.

I do see PS3s at thrift stores, for like really cheap. i have no idea what i can really
do with one.

A thought, older satellite receivers may have larger capacity desktop hard drives.
So thrift stores, are a good place to look. May find storage receivers, that are like 6 bucks with a gig hard drive in it. Cable satellite companies have upgraded equipment, so people donate their receivers to thrift stores. A gig HD or better for 3 6 bucks, that is the reason to buy these. As well, PS3s are very common.
>>
EbenezerPopperhall.css - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:57:32 EST WcG+z847 No.122360 Reply
>>122355
Well, spinrite as grc is concerned, was a good option. SSD drives are a new environment. Last I looked spinrite was upgraded to utilize SSD drives. But,
filesystems etc, it is definitely more difficult.

There was a definitely greatest recovery program that was free. I forget it's name. They claimed that they would never charge $ for it. But the [program was soo great I would have no doubt paid for it. But in the end they had a 'free download,'
that would recover even difficult to recover options. So you ran the program, it was correct. In recovery. But then said, pay $ to keep running this program.

This is almost across the line on file recovery programs. If they would simply say, this will recover your files, but you must pay to continue the program, that would be fair. I guess.

So in the end, spinrite, which I believed to be free? It may not be able to handle today's issues. But, whatever.
-
If a drive may not fail, simply create a storage partition, and if the system fails,
the storage drive should still be intact
>>
FannyNickledale.ps - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:14:55 EST DVt6agVO No.122365 Reply
>>122360
It's free if you don't want to pay for it.

But hey, that guy's trying to eliminate passwords from the world, so maybe give him money. That's god's work.
>>
GrahamSangermidge.bmp - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:39:55 EST yP4bEv++ No.122370 Reply
>>122359
You know what I saw at a thrift store recently? A 60GB IBN Deathstar hard drive for $3, bought it right there on the spot, tested it and has like two or three tiny bad sectors. I'm not going to stick it into anything, it's just one of those items you get "just because lol".
>>
HenryTurveyshit.bfc - Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:10:49 EST g5wawLiT No.122371 Reply
>>122370
Keep your eyes open for thrift stores. Can build a high end home heater system for basically nothing. Some stuff may be still in production, or was like 1500 bucks
retail. For good reason people will buy these for a very good price. As the saying goes, older doesn't necessarily mean better.
>>
BeatriceNicklefield.bat - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 08:22:41 EST GZ9lN10B No.122412 Reply
>>122337
Any decently fast 7200RPM HDD with a good deal of cache.

Switched out the 500 gig stock HDD in a ps3 slim I recently got with a 250 GB WD Scorpio Black (7200 RPM, 32 MB cache) from my old laptop. Less space, but much, much faster than the stock one (5400RPM and 8meg cache if I recall).

Better yet if you want to invest a bit more - drop in an SSD. It makes loading super fast, and a decent 250-500 GB SSD can be obtained pretty cheaply nowadays...

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.