Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Should I upgrade my CPU?

- Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:22:42 EST eTwrotpe No.122353
File: 1562678562744.jpg -(251138B / 245.25KB, 1191x1500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Should I upgrade my CPU?
I have an i7 2600k, it's nearly a decade old. It runs fine, but just wondering if newer CPUs are good enough to blitz this thing to the point where I'd realise a difference if I upgrade.
>>
CarolineWorthingspear.pct - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 13:33:09 EST bpzP1D2s No.122356 Reply
Yes they are.

But who even cares. You'd have to be bottlenecking your GPU or doing real CPU intensive work like software encoding for streaming to bother.
And in most software you can run a GTX 1060 or 1070 without bottlenecking badly.

If you're just playing games, no. Not unless your GPU cost more than 600 bucks.
>>
CarolineWorthingspear.pct - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 13:34:25 EST bpzP1D2s No.122357 Reply
>>122356
Oh an additional caveat: if you want to run high framerates, that puts more burden on the CPU and that thing is not likely to drive 200hz displays.

You're probably good from 60hz to 120hz tho.
>>
BasilPockstock.fnt - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 17:52:56 EST g4u/IEVx No.122358 Reply
The 2600K is still a modern processor. It's a little pokey and it's missing AVX instructions, but if you have an SSD the only giveaway that the system is old should be the lack of USB 3.
>>
DavidDuckleridge.pm4 - Mon, 26 Aug 2019 11:23:36 EST 30VWiN8Z No.122422 Reply
>>122353
My tale with CPU's...

In late 1999 I build a PII 800 which would overclock to 1.1GHz or thereabouts. It was accompanied by some type of graphics card that also overclocked well but I forget it's details. At first I used if for games (what else!) but quickly directed it's use for for work and research. Windows 2000 sat atop this beast with 128MB of RAM – good memories. In about 2008 the original power supply blew and the two replacement power supplied also failed in quick succession. The HD's, memory, CPU... everything was fine apart from the power supply. So, I did the easy thing and reasoned, 'this is old hat - time to update.' So, I bought a P4 from a computer shop ready to go without OS (I installed Windows 2000). I forget what exactly it was because it didn't matter to me at the time as I just assumed that after 9 years things would be sweet. But it was f'n terrible. The thing was definitely slower than my old PIII. After 3 months the power supply packed up... after another 6 months the under warranty power supply packed up and after another month I bought another power supply replacement as well as replacement memory and HD (the magic smoke was released from them). So in early 2009 I bought a ThinkPad with a core2duo. It still runs and I've updated it and it runs XP and 7 like a champ. It feels quicker than new laptops and I've built a home computer around the core2duo mobile CPU and I've been using that for almost 10 years now with only upgrades to SSD and more memory. It's a bit exotic but it does everything I need and I like that it doesn't need a 400W power supply and my UPS will keep it up for a couple hours instead of minutes. I could keep going on but any computer since about 2000 (apart from the first P4's) with an SSD and good amount of RAM and $60 GPU will be great to use... unless you are a cock-smoker and what to play everything in 8K. I've also had plenty of experience with heaps of other CPU's but generally I don't think it matter anymore as far as feel goes.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.