Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

HelP me deciding on a Linux distro

- Thu, 19 Sep 2019 19:03:39 EST iVlLvQYS No.122474
File: 1568934219923.gif -(591027B / 577.17KB, 244x148) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. HelP me deciding on a Linux distro
Background
I run Ubuntu 17.10 on my laptop and need to upgrade it.
Use it for coding microcontrollers (so need proper USB support), Web development, and general use.
No upgrading Ubuntu never works because fuck I don't care why.

I am not a new to choosing different Linux distros, I was even one of these guys who did run gentoo on his home pc. But not any more, because well I don't want my OS to be a hobby just fucking use it.

What annoys me are the release cycle and fucking outdated packages you get.
So I like that arch has rolling updates but I am not familiar with it and I do not want to spend time doing neckbeard shit.

I'm this close to installing windows on the thing so help.
>>
PollySirringdock.bak - Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:35:15 EST PZTSqT8m No.122475 Reply
You're looking for Manjaro.
>>
PollySirringdock.bak - Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:37:39 EST PZTSqT8m No.122476 Reply
>>122475
No guarantees about microcontroller stuff though. Linux is often a second class citizen when it comes to embedded hardware tools.
>>
ArchieParringville.cbl - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 02:24:53 EST Qx3lfgFz No.122479 Reply
1568960693860.jpg -(12732B / 12.43KB, 400x90) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I'll just put in a word for Slackware.
Maybe it'd fall under the outdated packages in your perspective, but it's really comfy.
Everything is nice and simple and there's not so many automatic tools to fuck your system up. Just directly edit the configs, disable/enable an executable.
I've tried other distros but all of them always seem shitty and behave strangely.
Like an example, installed Debian, and in the installation process it wanted me to put a setup-file for the wireless card on an USB stick and put it in so it could install, even though I had the ethernet plugged in. It told me nothing about where to get this said file, so I had to manually type and search for this super long-ass package name (like 35-45 chars long) and it was nowhere to be found.
So skipped the step to install it, and then it fetched down all the rest of the packages to install over the wire.
But it still never damn installed the wireless. And then after installing, it wouldn't even boot.

Has just happened again and again, some other distro, don't even remember which, installed it, seemed to go fine, but apparently the installer didn't set up grub properly so there wasn't any entry for the install I just made. If it couldn't even handle things that far I didn't have any hope for the rest of the experience so I nuked it.

Slackware has always just worked though, every single time. Only times it has shitted itself has been cause I fucked about with something I didn't understand.
Every damn time I try something else, it seems like it goes well, then it shits itself for no good reason, I lose hope, install slackware again.
GuixSD really gets my boner going though. So cool.
Except surprise, if I use my native keymap it shits itself while booting, and it's only a problem for my specific countrys one as far as I can see in the bug reports.
>>
CyrilGungercocke.sea - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 00:53:14 EST iVlLvQYS No.122490 Reply
OP here.
I tried out ubuntu mate and god damn their gui sucks. HiDPi scaling messes everything up: Icons are shifted off their positions, some don't scale at all and there is no fractional scaling
Apparently there's a "killer" requirement I assumed should be no problem with modern desktop environments: Fractional HiDPI scaling.
Since the forced adoption of Wayland no support of what was already a common feature.

You might ask yourself why? It's the usual OSS snafu. "We're based on X so until X implements feature Y there is not proper way to implement feature Y(a), but you can add patch Z and spend 8 hours of your time to configure it, *closes github issue*"

Fuck that.
I'm going to install ubuntu 18.04 and going back to unity 7.
>>
CyrilGungercocke.sea - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 01:27:26 EST iVlLvQYS No.122492 Reply
>>122476
Depends on the toolkit and the manufacturer.
I use platformio which takes most of the hassle out of the equation.
And STM's tools (which I am pretty much a fanboy of) are cross platform.
>>
CyrilGungercocke.sea - Sun, 22 Sep 2019 13:57:40 EST iVlLvQYS No.122494 Reply
>>122479
I did run slackware to build a custom home firewall on an ancient PC over a decade ago or so. I don't quite remember the reasons but I think it has something to do with the requirement to apply all the patches to have it run stable enough with deficient hardware which at the time slackware was the only way to do it.

But for a Desktop/Laptop I just want things to work. Nothing against having the option to configure everything via textile. But in 2019 the OS should just be able to install all the necessary drivers based on the Vendor/Device IDs without additional user input.
>>
AlicePoppersun.pm - Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:19:17 EST Qx3lfgFz No.122495 Reply
>>122494
>But in 2019 the OS should just be able to install all the necessary drivers based on the Vendor/Device IDs without additional user input.
Yeah, I most definitely agree. It should.
Things just working is the reason I still keep with slackware though, as I wrote in depth. Still haven't met a distro that takes care of stuff automatically AND correctly. Weird shit that would take more effort to fix than to just do the manual stuff in slack, and the automatic stuff will never bork your system on its own.
Once set up, you're set up. JustWerks forever. It might be like carving rock but once you're done you're done.
>TL;DR
Not trying to argue or convert you to the glorious tasty goodness, just kinda. Not having to muck about with unnecessary stuff is the prime reason as to why I keep using it.
>>
EugeneDrillyneck.dun - Tue, 01 Oct 2019 13:02:59 EST AIHcleTp No.122512 Reply
>>122474
https://pclosusers.com/communityiso/KDEandMiniMe/

Need 'actual' help go here, https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/
They will tell you to look it up yourself when it's something
you can find, if you can muck through all the 'ubuntu', help
pages.

You can install this system in about 5 minutes, update
in about 5 minutes. It will recognize your hardware
without issues. If an issue arises, the forum will help.

If a software is outdated, just ask. If it isn't ready or
has some flaw it will be reverted until issues are
resolved.

In all it is a minimal system that you can run out of the box,
or make it, say as 'interesting' to work with as you like.
>>
DavidGozzlechure.pif - Sat, 26 Oct 2019 18:13:36 EST zxOUTR2Q No.122552 Reply
>>122490
>I tried out ubuntu mate and god damn their gui sucks.
Really? I use Mint Mate, and think it's great. I wonder if the ubuntu versioin is very different?

I like Mate because it doesn't really try to re-invent anything. I think of it as a combo of OSX and XP. Most of the interface is like old windows, but then it also has support for multiple workspaces, and doesn't look terrible.

>going back to unity 7.
Every time I try unity, I nope the fuck out very quickly. It feels like OSX where they try to hide functionality from you. Or they make some random change that makes zero sense. Plus, fuck the default amazon search.

I like Mint, but the packages can outdated. I do a clean re-install every six months, and rarely run into issues. But, never say never. I remember like a year and a half ago, I had a pretty new install of mint, and was trapped in absolute dependency hell trying to get fucking AUDACITY to work. One of the most popular packages, but there was some obscure problem with pulseaudio or ALSA and my hardware. I still have flashbacks to those terminal screens.
>>
SimonDrapperpit.dd - Wed, 30 Oct 2019 22:02:33 EST Zl/SHN6M No.122562 Reply
>>122552
>I like Mint, but the packages can outdated.

They generally become updated around 6 months after ubuntu releases. Usually for the sake of being known to be stable.? Then the distributions releases are made suitable for use with their distributions, packages, dependencies that work with their distributions. Mate, KDE,etc. The distributions like mint will work on these for their releases in the meantime before they officially update their release and packages, in the meantime

You can or could recompile these yourself, likely without much issue with dependencies if you wanted to keep packages up to date yourself without much isssue. I used to update packages that require openssl to be updated when they were not updated in a timely manner. I do not care for ubuntu or many distros based on ubuntu. I did like Mepis as an all time favorite for a pretty long time. I believe it always kept up up to date with ubuntu
updates. Package releases.
>>
ReubenPacklefure.mod - Sat, 08 Feb 2020 18:16:36 EST GvgHF1Dk No.122753 Reply
Xubuntu, LXDE & Ubuntu MATE are all pretty stable, Xubuntu being my favorite.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.