Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Computer fans keep running at full speed for no reason

- Fri, 06 Dec 2019 13:42:23 EST qVCc0pAW No.122633
File: 1575657743860.jpg -(45172B / 44.11KB, 540x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Computer fans keep running at full speed for no reason
Hey guys, I'm a brother from /psy/, first post here.

I bought myself a custom built PC second hand for a fairly good price and the fans keep running at full speed ALL THE FUCKING TIME, non-stop, FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON.

I tried disabling in the device manager one of my graphic cards (the Intel HD Graphics 4600 that came with the mother board) to keep only the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, but that didn't change anything.

I really don't know what to do and it's driving me crazy.

Plz halp?

Here are some specs in case it helps:
Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 quad core, 8 threads 3.60GHz
RAM: 16gb
Graphic card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 by Gigabyte
Power supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W
>>
OliverGammerhedge.log - Sun, 08 Dec 2019 00:27:16 EST bzH2p3jp No.122635 Reply
The intel HD isn't a graphics card. It's a gfx core on the CPU itself. And it's not running if you're using the dedicated one.

Sounds like you need to update your drivers. YOu bought a PC and didn't even do a fresh install of Windows...?
>>
FrederickSunkinwill.phtml - Sun, 08 Dec 2019 00:33:27 EST NrREumew No.122636 Reply
>>122633
go into the bios fool.. or download msi afterburner and turn the voltage down on your cpu
>>
LydiaPickbanks.pct - Sun, 08 Dec 2019 02:56:17 EST gD8SneD5 No.122637 Reply
>>122633
I would actually try removing the installed graphics card to see if that makes a difference, using the onboard graphics instead. It should be 64bit windows, but if it is 32bit that could be an issue.

Possibility is a bad ram module or one that is not seated properly. You can safely take one out, restart,
if no change try the other. Do this without the graphics card installed. Reverse the changes you had made beforehand.

Windows can usually immediately adapt to removing a card, removing or adding a ram module. This should cause no issue in the operation of the system. Always discharge static by touching the chassis, a metal part of the computer before handling ram or cards.

Being a custom built computer that could make things difficult. If you know the motherboard, is the bios up-to-date. If not, see if there is a known issue with the bios version that could affect the performance.

Could be a simple BIOS setting. Like onboard graphics/video being set incorrectly. It could be the graphics card its-self. So try to run this without the graphics card first, I would assume. Another possibility is seeing if there are updates to the graphics card. It is known that that card had
memory issues. Which I don't know would actually affect your system. Google around.

Bad drivers?

I have an under powered system, under powered power supply. Replaced with one I had I had lying around that was a quick fix
when I found that it was frying hard drives.

A graphics card I had used before with little issue, simply I gig card, did in fact make the fan always run on full speed after replacing it with the under-powered power supply. The PSU being under-powered was definitely the issue. Taking the card out and using the onboard graphics, it ran correctly.

I don't know much about hardware, really. But Power supply, graphics card, bad or unseated ram,
drivers, un-updated card drivers, Bios settings.

You can try to set bios to factory default. Poke around the setting first. It may have an option to turn on off the native graphics. Or automatically detect. Doing it within windows, that can make things difficult to revert back, from what I have seen from messing around with device manager. Eh, if you see a yellow ! point. That could give a clue, I am sure you would understand that aspect.

I would actually reinstall windows if that is what this comp came with and this was and is the ongoing issue.
Install without the card installed. That is a definite yes.

Maybe beforehand lookup the bios version and see if there is an update, or reset bios to factory defaults before reinstalling windows.

Either way I would reinstall windows by default if it came with the computer. Know your motherboard. Install without the graphics card, get the cards drivers and whatever drivers you may need. Possibly the DVD its-self needs drivers, an external
dvd drive or usb install should bypass possible issues of needing drivers to get through the windows install process.

Yea, but focus on your onboard graphics first, if that works, then all is cool. Worry about whatever after.
>>
CorneliusFunnerfut.mdb - Sun, 08 Dec 2019 13:29:49 EST qVCc0pAW No.122639 Reply
>>122635
I did a fresh install, yes.

>>122636
I'll look into it. Thanks.

>>122637
Lots of good information here, kind sir. I will check if my BIOS is up to date, and check all other drivers, concentrating on the graphics card. I'll try to avoid doing the fresh install all over again, my hope is that I can solve the problem by following the other leads you proposed.

The PSU is a good one (600W), so I wouldn't worry about that for the moment. Everything seems to be powered fine. Both rams (8gb each) are running smoothly.
>>
BarnabyCraffingspear.gif - Sun, 08 Dec 2019 17:31:47 EST FuCgqGRv No.122640 Reply
>>122639
For laughs, maybe try putting in a different fan. Look around at the connections to see if anything looks wrong. Is it possible that could cause this? Sure why not.

The idea of reinstalling windows, sometimes a 2nd install is needed.

One can install windows with simply an sd card inserted. The install will install and seem like it works fine. But this can just screw with seemingly unrelated things.

A reinstall in my opinion simply takes moments in time. I have done this trip of installing with a video cards installed, unseen sd cards and the results are conclusive, it may work.

Basically windows when installing is asking for your onboard video, generic monitor etc, and will apply generic 'get you going' drivers.

That would be why after an install, the screen may be all out sync of screen resolution. It is not confused at all, it is doing what it is needed to get things going and is working properly.

I am just saying this, if you did install with the card inserted. It may just be best to reinstall. Let the install recognize your onboard graphics, your monitor. Maybe tell it to update, even before you do anything else.

Then apply chipset video, sound drivers, what have you that is specific. Windows in my opinion does a correct job on-it's own of installing correct up-to-date drivers.

You can run CPU-Z with card installed and, it seems to accurately identify hardware correctly.
Never seen it get anything wrong aside from maybe not recognizing something.
>>
AliceBardford.bat - Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:21:26 EST qVCc0pAW No.122650 Reply
>>122640
Alright, so... The reason why I think everything is plugged correctly is because I sent the computer to a tech once I got it, because in fact NOT everything was installed correctly (I mean, hardware wires and connections). The tech said it was a mess in there, and supposedly corrected the mistakes of others. This being said, it is really possible that he might have missed something.

So I looked into it, and I really can't see anything not functioning properly because of this. I'm no pro, so I may have to send the computer back to a tech to double-check.

I updated the drivers, talked to Nvidia, and the problem seems to be coming from somewhere else. Right now I'm thinking about updating the BIOS, but I really wanna be sure of my shot before heading that way. I dropped a line to Gigabyte to see what they say and I'm still waiting for them to reply.

Fans keep running, and it makes kittens cry.
>>
AliceBardford.bat - Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:48:00 EST qVCc0pAW No.122651 Reply
1576079280607.png -(22688B / 22.16KB, 634x477) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Hey I just installed SpeedFan and these are the temperatures it is reading... Seems like one chip is overheating like crazy, and the others are OK. Do these temperatures seem normal to you!??
>>
WesleyPanderderk.avi - Wed, 11 Dec 2019 23:12:17 EST uimox/V3 No.122652 Reply
>>122651
127C is probably as high as the sensor goes. It's definitely a false reading because there's no component in your system that will tolerate that kind of heat.
>>
HenryNubblebury.png - Thu, 12 Dec 2019 04:15:29 EST B7KkkJxA No.122653 Reply
>>122650
Does your windows install work correctly, aside. From your card?
>>
JohnFuckinglock.cmf - Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:41:14 EST qVCc0pAW No.122654 Reply
1576165274245.png -(1391213B / 1.33MB, 859x625) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Alright boys and gals, I found out what the problem was. Or maybe part of the problem. So I installed SpeedFan and it lets me control the speed of three internal fans (motherboard, GPU and one other, I think). But I still have 6 other fans on the computer case. These, on the other hand, are not controllable via my BIOS. So I'll need to install an external hardware controller that I'll install on my case. That was my conclusion yesterday and Gigabyte said the same thing in their response.

On the other hand, whenever I set the internal fans on "smartguardian" (controlled automatically by the motherboard), the fans speed up anyway, so my initial problem is not completely irrelevant.

I'll buy an external controller and set the other fans with SpeedFan and I'll bare with it. The fans on the case are noisier than the others anyway.

>>122652
That was a false reading, indeed. I tested the readings with HWMonitor and they all seemed OK.
>>
AngusClublingfure.mpp - Thu, 12 Dec 2019 15:50:13 EST NbDFv8Xr No.122656 Reply
Do, if you have win 10. Just reinstall, make sure you have motherboard drivers, install before windows update. (leave your comp internet disabled) You can install win 10 without a connection. Reinstall without the vid card.

Know your motherboard, it should need no updates,
>>
FuckGrandhall.xif - Fri, 13 Dec 2019 17:06:04 EST psoj+pHn No.122657 Reply
>>122654
You can also get slower fans for just regular case airflow or in some cases actually make an adapter to run them at lower voltage.
Most fans won't spin up on the 5 volt line. But you can also reroute the negative pin from a molex adapter to the 5 volt line and the result is that they get the difference between the 12 volt line and the 5 volt line. 7 volts. Most fans actually will work at 7 volts.
>>

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.