Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Should I switch to Linux?

- Sun, 26 Jul 2020 08:47:35 EST z4P3v2uV No.122987
File: 1595767655967.jpg -(2921808B / 2.79MB, 4160x2340) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Should I switch to Linux?
So I want to try a Linux-OS on a laptop.
Can't use my PC (Windows) for this because everytime I tried Manjaro I got this error-message on start-up (look @ pic) and no sound (guess Linux has no support for Creative-soundcards?).

What Linux-Distributions do you recommend (for someone who doesn't want to learn and use cmd-boxes all the time) ?

Are there laptops that don't run with Linux?
>>
ThomasDettingwudge.dwg - Mon, 27 Jul 2020 19:08:50 EST NlGmT4NQ No.122988 Reply
>Can't use my PC (Windows) for this because everytime I tried Manjaro I got this error-message on start-up (look @ pic)
The partition you're trying to install to isn't valid. I don't know why. Nothing to do with your PC.

>and no sound (guess Linux has no support for Creative-soundcards?).
I wouldn't know. Most people haven't had a sound card in 20 years.

>What Linux-Distributions do you recommend (for someone who doesn't want to learn and use cmd-boxes all the time) ?
Linux Mint. Or just stay with Windows if you don't want any control.
>>
DorisBrecklesuck.gid - Tue, 28 Jul 2020 00:56:23 EST kgCMib9H No.122989 Reply
>>122987
If you are using a 64 bit system and windows 10, reinstall windows. It will take out a lot of hassle to just reinstall windows. You pretty much have to by the way things sound and look. You can torrent it, it is not a copyright violation to have/download a trial version of windows.

Your best bet is reinstall windows 10, por is best. Give it like 45 gigs. 46888 MB, 43898 is fine for a laptop.

Linux can and will support SB.

If you had vista on laptop it should support win10 just fine. Even win 7? 8 computers should work installing 10.

Just download a torrent of win10 ISO if you do not have a dvd. burn it to dvd, or install to usb. for now.

https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/ Burn a darkstar ISO
and burn it or run from USB, I can pretty much assure that it will recognize onboard
sound. If this what you actually mean. 64bit computer you must have.
-
Run the live Linux dvd and see if it recognizes your sound. If so, reinstall windows, then run the linux dvd
you burned, navigate down to install the media after you booot the DVD, you may want to do F-12 to get a boot menu, depending on the computer, may be F-1, etc to get a boot menu. Select cd/dvd with the linux boot media in the media drive.

Install 8575 or 8000, select / then select your ram amount, since dual booting you cad use the default.
Then select the rest of the space as pulldown menu as /home with the rest of the space as ext3
filesystem. It's really quite simple when you do this a few times.

I can explain or somebody would maybe why ext3 for home/
Look up Ext2Fsd so you may access, your linux /home ext3 file system.

Manjero eh, it's a bit tricky to deal with. But do run the darkstar live, and see if it seems OK for you.
I'm not knocking .deb based systems, but I find I install whatever distribution, I just end up
removing it for whatever reasons.
--
Not sure what type of sb card you have, sometimes onboard is actually preferable. Or card may need to be
removed before installing windows, linux etc. Then reinstall the card and see if 'any' linux chosen is recognized
after installs. This applies to PC video cards as well. Linux and windows. Look up Cspctl I am pretty much
darkstar from the link will recognize your card correctly but onboard may be better. Don't confuse DarkStar Linux
with PclInux DarkStar community project release. Do understand if the sound card or video card in installed,
that can cause install issues. If it is internal card, don't worry about it much. Laptops can either be easy or
I have screwed up at least two or three by opening them up. If installs work fine you can see if onboard or
SB is preferred. And choose what you like through settings.
>>
DorisBrecklesuck.gid - Tue, 28 Jul 2020 01:15:00 EST kgCMib9H No.122990 Reply
>>122988
>>Can't use my PC (Windows) for this because everytime I tried Manjaro I got this error-message >on start-up (look @ pic)

>The partition you're trying to install to isn't valid. I don't know why. Nothing to do with your PC.

I think it would have issue with the sound card not being recognized correctly.

>> and no sound (guess Linux has no support for Creative-soundcards?).

>I wouldn't know. Most people haven't had a sound card in 20 years.

My first soundblaster card was 32 bit, for $15 timeline is around as long. Still have it.
Sound Blaster is still recognized and respected with gaming.

>>What Linux-Distributions do you recommend (for someone who doesn't want to learn and >use cmd-boxes all the time) ?

>Linux Mint. Or just stay with Windows if you don't want any control.

Windows is fine. One just has to understand they run and control windows and the software that follows, not the other way around.
>>
WilliamSaffingden.aif - Sun, 09 Aug 2020 16:52:19 EST dZj+mvKl No.122998 Reply
>>122987
You can just run Windows in a VM anyway.

Sure. Do it.
>>
NellPeddlehone.asc - Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:50:37 EST uovo6uZJ No.123001 Reply
One can run linux in windows, or run windows in windows
>>
SophieMuggleked.msg - Wed, 12 Aug 2020 00:53:35 EST O0GTYx0G No.123003 Reply
>>123001
Virtual machines, vmware player, or whatever, virtualbox, run from a install dvd or ISO file. Win 10 I believe you can install a guest VM if you have win 10 pro or student editions.
>>
HenryCusslemotch.dll - Fri, 28 Aug 2020 03:50:51 EST 6xlYwwyN No.123028 Reply
1598601051143.jpg -(55547B / 54.25KB, 666x728) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>122987
Try linux mint? I've heard good things about it. It's debian based and runs well out of the box. Another very easy one (although less good because of dumb things like 'snaps') would be ubuntu MATE, or ubuntu studio. Ubuntu is debian based aswell, get the newest LTE version.
I personally use debian on my main machine and it works perfectly.
Manjaro has always been a little finicky for me, I wouldn't use it as an absolute beginner.
Make sure you always install with ethernet plugged in if possible, so then the installers can get the non-free firmware required for the weird shit the vendor crammed in your laptop. Maybe you should watch a youtube video of someone else installing first before you do too.

You probably want to learn at least a little bit about the command line. There is no reason not to. With it you can do a lot of crazy stuff that would be difficult or impossible on a michealsoft window install.
Its ability to parse large amount of files and perform large operations is super cool.
You can also use it to easily do a lot of nice little things (very simple and easy to learn) that make the linux expirence great.
There are a million commandline programs that do downright amazing things.
Eg. youtube-dl, or megatools (fast and easy download of anything from MEGA), or a program to burn dreamcast disks, or a program to decode the radio that busdrivers use (its fun).
Plus you can use it to compile a bunch of cool software and get the most bleeding edge releases of anything first. You can even compile a lot of programs that don't have linux releases.
If you learn you get the real experience, and will be able to do all sorts of crazy shit.
>>
OliverBardbury.ost - Tue, 01 Sep 2020 03:51:05 EST Sd7kj5AP No.123052 Reply
>cool software and get the most bleeding edge releases of anything first

Mint is OK. I would recommend it. It is overrated IMO.

>You probably want to learn at least a little bit about the command line.

That is where the fun comes in. Even with windows.

>compiling.

If you like hours or less of code passing by, and seeing what finality fails and fixing it, fun.

In short, Linux in general helps one to understands windows, but should it e a replacement
altogether?
>>
JohnFemblebury.lgo - Wed, 23 Sep 2020 01:31:49 EST 79qOabBZ No.123072 Reply
1600839109364.png -(3072551B / 2.93MB, 2421x2522) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>123052
I've used Linux exclusively since 2011. I like it. I mostly use it for scientific computing (R, Haskell) and writing papers in LaTeX.
>but should it e a replacement altogether?
Unless you have specific games to play, or are into heavy Adobe app use, then probably yes. Linux is good for browsing, programming, and document workflows, almost as if it were a copy of some shitty 70s OS or something. Most low-tech humans do everything in the browser or an office application already, so nothing is missed with Linux. Being able to put together nearly anything you want is great.

I will also say that Linux on the desktop fucking sucks.
suck:
  • Systemd fucking sucks
  • The entire OpenDesktop.org ecosystem is a dumpster fire of suck
  • Gnome and KDE suck
  • Python dependencies suck (mitigated by virtualenv, but it shouldn't be a problem)
  • Flatpak, Snap, and Appimage are all abominations and suck
  • Debian is okay but the community fucking sucks
  • Canonical really sucks and they leave a pile of abandoned projects and depreciated libs every two or three years
  • The spin offs Ubuntu are almost decent (Mint and elementaryOS) but most of them suck
  • Gentoo is good for scientific computing when the optimizations actually matter, but without a dedicated distcc host it too fucking sucks
counterexamples:
  • CentOS 8 oddly enough does not suck, but the way RHEL names packages idiosyncratically borders on suck when you install something off Github
  • Artix and Alpine are the best distros in general right now but if you haven't used Linux for a decade it might suck for you
  • Slackware is a perfectly preserved specimen like a bug in amber and never got around toward sucking
  • Valve's Proton oddly enough doesn't suck, same with Vulkan
  • BTRFS with ZSTD or ZLIB is seriously the best fucking thing
  • The suckless.org software does what it says on the label
>tl;dr: the "desktop environment" experience on Linux is wretched and stillborn, but the rest of it is pretty fucking cool. Fuck Lennart Poettering.
>>
LydiaDocklefoot.asc - Fri, 25 Sep 2020 17:58:30 EST I6us8Cr4 No.123075 Reply
1601071110673.png -(220415B / 215.25KB, 800x452) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>123028
Mint is a pretty based OS. Cinnamon flavor is one of the best DEs out there IMO.
I also highly recommend Kubuntu. It is super modern looking, and everything has worked out of the box for me.
>>
ThomasNazzlecocke.api - Sat, 03 Oct 2020 23:11:41 EST mJkepMWw No.123086 Reply
>>122987
There is some problem with UEFI and secure boot
disable it and enable legacy mode in BIOS and it should install with no problem

'
>>
CharlesDondledale.xcf - Sat, 10 Oct 2020 00:15:05 EST 0ddw9h43 No.123094 Reply
Linux Mint or Ubuntu

Everything else is for spergs.
>>
EugeneBennerfuck.bfc - Mon, 19 Oct 2020 16:40:58 EST LMmomKRh No.123101 Reply
pclinux darkstar will work. (KDE) If something does not work go to their website and under support pages somebody will help fix , they want you to figure stuff out yourself though before asking questions. Hence they call themselves 'radically simple.' Pclinux Darkstar simple distribution, everything should work out of the box, build up from a minimal distribution, 10 gigs is fine. Uses, synaptic package manager.
>>
SophieLightfield.wmf - Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:25:42 EST aTjigv3n No.123102 Reply
>>123094
So, keep windows 10 professional, at 45 gigs, and roll out pclinux darkstar after, at 10 gigs. Then with darkstar create a storage partition with the rest of the space, call it /home.

When all is said and done, use ext2fsd, simple program. use / as ext2 use /home as ext /3

you can torrent to /home it is pretty easy. So you have access to torrents with windows and under linux. Considering you created a /home partition.

I have done this a hundred times. You would see how simple it is. May take a few installs. Ilearned linux (minimall) whenXP updates failed,appreciated windows
when they fixex their issues and learned a few linux dustributions. So if you want
to switch specifically to linux, hold on to windows as well.

Go ahead an look up windows pro.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.