420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
copying old parts by Wesley Clunnermodging - Thu, 26 May 2016 00:35:47 EST ID://p8h2A8 No.6963 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1464237347308.jpg -(23612B / 23.06KB, 400x296) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 23612
hey /tesla/

I'm an eletrical engineer that likes to work on old cars. While bidding on a nos battery bracket for my current project, it dawns on me, wouldn't this shit be cheaper if the people that had the parts, scanned them and got new stuff made, instead of us all bidding the few remaining parts up?

Does anyone know how I can get into making copies of the parts I have so others can use them? 3d scanning?

Some of these parts are pretty simple. Just various bent bits of metal with bolt holes and you assemble them into brackets for mounting this and that. I would think I could draw that up in autocad or solidworks. But finishing it is a bit beyond me. I have like 2 years of autocad but I was never trained on how to select metals or what I've always called "fit"

Like, how do I even draw the bold holes and the botls just right that when they build it for me, all the shit goes together just right and isn't too tight?

Can anyone help me with this?
>>
Sophie Billingworth - Sun, 29 May 2016 09:39:25 EST ID:IZhvBj47 No.6965 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but for engineering applications there isn't a workable 3D scanning solution yet.

If you have to get models from an existing part grab your calipers, open a spreadsheet and start measuring.
>>
M - Tue, 31 May 2016 04:17:42 EST ID:l8g6dMpE No.6966 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6963
Although 3D scanners exist (see link below) I`d advise what >>6965 mentioned and using your calipers to measure the parts, and either put it in a spreadsheet or draw them in free 2D or 3D CAD software (or AutoCAD if you happen to have acces to it). Mechanical parts are usually as simple as poissible and have rounded sizes in either inches or mm, so you`d probably be able to draw them without too much effort. As for hole diameters for bolts and stuff. there are tables for this on the internet you could use. Finally I`d advise 3D cad so you can draw the surrounding stuff as well. That way you can very easily see if a part you made fits or needs to be altered. If you still cant figure something out, you can probably find someone on the internet that is willing to help you out.

>>6965
3D scanners do exist with a precision of about 16microns they are probably incredibly expensive.
http://www.3dscanco.com/pdfs/3shape.pdf
>>
Ernest Fisslebutch - Thu, 02 Jun 2016 17:12:36 EST ID:IZhvBj47 No.6968 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6966
>3D scanners do exist with a precision of about 16microns they are probably incredibly expensive.
Nice.
How does it work?

I wonder if you could archive such a resolution by mounting a gopro on a 3-axis cnc router and using the stepper resolution as reference to record a light field that can be resolved into a high resolution 3D model.

Or could this be the first real application of these lidar chips published in last years research?
>>
Jack Honeyspear - Thu, 09 Jun 2016 11:45:51 EST ID:LMSWX1C6 No.6971 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1465487151420.jpg -(218680B / 213.55KB, 745x559) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Go watch Dan Gelbart's series on prototyping and get a feel of how to become independent and less reliant on premade solutions for parts that you can belt out in minutes with some elbow grease. Some shears/tin snips/wire cutter/cut off wheel to cut the rough shape out. A drill press to drill and hand shape the rest(or hand drill and rotary hand tool). Brake bend with a few pieces of scrap board and c clamps, heat the radius with blow torch if it's really thick and use some harbor freight welding gloves to handle. If it can't be simply bolted and locktighted together, or glued, than consider making a spot welder from some microwave parts at some point.
As far as material. 10-14 ga. is probably fine for most project brackets. If things are under load then the housing, struts, bearings, and suspension systems take care of that, not mounting brackets.
Old appliances like computer panels and such are free source of thick sheet. Old tins from holiday containers are another source of thinner material.

Obviously he has hundreds of thousands of dollars of machinery at his disposal, but with the suggestions I made above you have alternatives for pennies on the dollar.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dgelbart/videos

Some other things if you like having a layed out plan that helps are: dykem, paint pen, calipers, scribe, scale or carpenter square, radius gauges, and a compass.

CAD experience is kind of pointless if you don't have real world field experience. Don't turn into one of those guys that have twenty different true position tables and +/- .0001" on every dimension for a part that only needs saw and drill hole tolerances.
Get your hands dirty and make yourself a valuable go to designer.
>>
Ian Denkinkatch - Fri, 05 Aug 2016 06:56:19 EST ID:/GtFGFci No.6979 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6971

Some top quality advice from this guy. I agree with this so much it makes me wonder if I got drunk, posted this and then forgot about it.
>>
2017-01 - Fri, 06 Jan 2017 19:40:43 EST ID:cbS5u/gp No.7036 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6968
Borrow/rent some usage time from the local uni or science facility
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/the-csiro-3d-printed-a-gorgeous-titanium-bike/

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.