Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Variable Expansion

- Sat, 15 Feb 2014 19:42:29 EST YZp2n0B6 No.6141
File: 1392511349325.jpg -(186753B / 182.38KB, 1571x2356) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Variable Expansion
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking for something mechanical that expands and contracts lengthwise. Something like a baton or lightsaber. Only it has to be really tiny, like a pencil. But also have a fine resolution on how long/short it is. Does such a device exist??

Please let me know if you need some clarity.
>>
Jack Fuzzleworth - Sat, 15 Feb 2014 19:45:47 EST YZp2n0B6 No.6142 Reply
I'm also considering a tiny device as small as a pencil. But also, able to shift some weights outward/inward, so if you spun it around its center, its rotational intertia would be increasing/decreasing. Again, the caveat is I want it to be really tiny and really controllable.
>>
Eugene Dummlenudging - Sun, 16 Feb 2014 01:29:23 EST H8L33pZj No.6143 Reply
The easiest way would likely just be pneumatic/hydraulic cylinders, a solid one inside a hollow one. If you had a lathe you could make on precisely, if not, you might be able to make a demo version by like taking a circle pencil, and a normal plastic pen like a bic, then using a hairdryer or heat gun to wedge the pen along the pencil, and if you can keep rotating it you could form it to the pencil, then maybe to reduce friction further, VERY lightly sand the pencil (better if you have a pencil with some design painted on it so you can check sanding).

Then use a bit of oil to lubricate the pencil down the pen shaft, and maybe use a tube from a lighter to regular the flow of liquid/air inside the pen:
1) hot glue/plastic glue one end of pen shut
2) drill itsy bitsy hole, or just wedge metal tip from a grill lighter near base of pen
3) hot glue/plastic glue tube in
4) see if you can get enough pressure to slide pencil back and forth

It may be more optimal to use something more durable like surgical or aquarium tubing, or even another pen melted+welded to the first one at a right angle.
>>
Fucking Sollyville - Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:33:44 EST CKZoWqYh No.6144 Reply
A quartz crystal
>>
Simon Noffingsock - Thu, 20 Feb 2014 02:49:46 EST SB9ZYn17 No.6149 Reply
>>6141
Sigh, are you trying to make a gravity wheel?
>>
Jack Nicklefield - Sat, 22 Feb 2014 23:33:13 EST ICNMu9y9 No.6156 Reply
so like you have your compass right
you hold down the contractor and levitate the mouse slightly above the mousepad
and all of the sudden you can remember where the buttons are without clocking out left to right like the variable expansion of a drag
Like what do you mean lengthwise it's a pencil if you wanna drag charcoal around all the time it's gonna squeal like deaf

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.