Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Plagiarism for Excel VBA coding game

- Fri, 09 May 2014 21:30:49 EST 4KbD3NyR No.6301
File: 1399685449578.png -(206318B / 201.48KB, 600x602) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Plagiarism for Excel VBA coding game
My partner and I submitted our engineering final project to our professor by e-mail. He then responded within a few minutes that he found an exact replica of our coding used for our program online, but in Spanish. He then e-mailed the Dean and we have a meeting with him this Tuesday regarding it.

The project we were assigned was to make The Snake Game using Excel VBA coding. Our teacher taught us probably 25% of the material needed to complete this task so my partner and I went online, went through a four part tutorial on how to make a Snake Game using Microsoft Visual Basic (VB).

We followed the tutorial, went through with it and submitted it. Our teacher submitted it to our Dean and we are meeting with him Tuesday. Is there any way out of this? We got a zero for the assignment which means my partner and I are most likely going to fail the class. She's kinda freaking out. Any advice 420?

Here's the tutorial we used in order to learn how to do the game -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbEjVDA2q20

>Inb4 Engineering college using Excel VBA
>Inb4 you done goof'd
>>
Eugene Dribberpark - Sat, 10 May 2014 03:27:11 EST CKZoWqYh No.6302 Reply
There's a programming board here and it's more active than this one
>>
Thomas Funningfield - Sat, 10 May 2014 04:03:17 EST 2POYse6P No.6303 Reply
>We followed the tutorial, went through with it and submitted it.
what percentage of the code was directly copied? if you can prove the bulk (90%+) of the material is your own creation you should be fine. otherwise you plagiarized your final project and hopefully you will be expelled.

>Our teacher taught us probably 25% of the material
i would recommend against trying to justify plagiarism on incompetence of the professor. if the teacher was poor, you drop the class or approach the dean on your own or with classmates.
>>
Ian Hingerworth - Sun, 11 May 2014 07:08:20 EST GVO9rLbP No.6305 Reply
>Is there any way out of this? We got a zero for the assignment which means my partner and I are most likely going to fail the class. She's kinda freaking out. Any advice 420?

Ask the student union for legal support in hiring lawyer.

Collect all the code for unfinished versions, any screen video recordings of the coding process, any drawn planning flow charts. Establish clearly how the code has changed in each version.

Start data-mining the professor for dirt, any past complains by past students for being falsely accused of plagiarism. Make statistics on rates of students being accused of plagiarism compared to other professors or fields.

Request a detail copy of the alleged "exact replica" including documentation and earlier versions. Request a copy of the code matching engine that somehow match the online Spanish program to your program
>>
M - Mon, 12 May 2014 09:10:28 EST 06ISvFUq No.6306 Reply
>>6301
Are you a 100% sure the assignment forbids using tutorials?
I also have to do a VBA assignment and we actually are encouraged to find stuff online and use it.
If your assingment doesn`t explicitly forbid using something like a tutorial your teacher won`t have shit. Just say you didn`t know and hope for the best.
>>
Eliza Brungerfere - Tue, 13 May 2014 11:41:17 EST wSROKVi8 No.6308 Reply
>>6306
The tutorial in and of itself isn't the problem, op copy paste coding his project is the problem, this thread is on like 3 boards right now and every time someone asks if he just copied the tutorial he deflects and talks about how his prof didn't teach him how to write the program.
>>
Graham Drundershaw - Tue, 13 May 2014 20:06:39 EST ptIHeeuT No.6310 Reply
Oh god, this dope from over at /qq/

Don't try to go elsewhere to validate your warped integrity OP, you're a plagiarist and a faggot and should just drop out of college since you obviously don't wanna do the hard work anyway.
>>
Jarvis Crazzlebire - Wed, 14 May 2014 23:25:49 EST GVO9rLbP No.6313 Reply
>>6306
>I also have to do a VBA assignment and we actually are encouraged to find stuff online and use it.

There's a huge difference between:
  • incorporating other's code as a separate module in a clearly documented, clearly referenced, clearly isolated manner where your code wrap around other's code, versus
  • trying to pass off other's code as your own.
Besides, if and when they tell you that you can use something, then they will also include the correct manner to utilize that something to not be counted as plagiarism. If it hasn't explicit tell you how to include something safely, then you should assume you can't use that something just to be on the safe side.

>If your assingment doesn`t explicitly forbid using something like a tutorial your teacher won`t have shit. Just say you didn`t know and hope for the best.

Professor "won't have shit" usually will not matter to universities, since students are always presumed guilty until proven innocent. Many professors will try to lower their workload by getting their auto checks software to maximize the potential to flag any student's work as "plagiarism". If you happen to get of those professor, then it's the student's job to preempt them by properly documenting their coding process and design process. This may includes having good version control of the coding environment to show clear progression in any changes of the code, and having screen capture video recordings of the entire coding process. Universities will still get paid whether students successfully overturn any plagiarism charge or not. Professors won't lose their job if they falsely accused students of plagiarism, and any reputation risk they might suffer has been offset to the auto-checking code-matching engines.
>>
Cornelius Dullerhood - Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:27:51 EST HZh+U85X No.6681 Reply
>>6313

>Professor "won't have shit" usually will not matter to universities, since students are always presumed guilty until proven innocent. Many professors will try to lower their workload by getting their auto checks software to maximize the potential to flag any student's work as "plagiarism". If you happen to get of those professor, then it's the student's job to preempt them by properly documenting their coding process and design process. This may includes having good version control of the coding environment to show clear progression in any changes of the code, and having screen capture video recordings of the entire coding process. Universities will still get paid whether students successfully overturn any plagiarism charge or not. Professors won't lose their job if they falsely accused students of plagiarism, and any reputation risk they might suffer has been offset to the auto-checking code-matching engines.

i hate to agree with him, but, in the modern educational system (including but not limited to the public school systems), if someone in Authority so much as even whispers an accusation of this or that about you to the right ears, youre pretty much fucked, weather or not you copied/plagiarized so much as even a sentence of code from elsewhere, or did some other sort of no-no.

worst case scenario, imo, is you have to take your licks with a coke and a smile and shutting the fuck up about coincidental injustice, and try again either next semester, or wait 4 years and get into the next crop-rotation of students, or you could drop out of college (more or less) and strive for a purely educational purpose and just learn the stuff to know it, and forget any pretense of college credits or Goodly and Proper Documentation/Certification of skills-building for employment enrichment.
>>
Hugh Sublingworth - Tue, 05 May 2015 22:54:53 EST Uzk1BXOo No.6690 Reply
>>6301

I swear this is copy pasta from like 6 years ago.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.