Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Spacetime Inertia

- Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:31:41 EST RVngPBEo No.6499
File: 1411677101937.png -(135958B / 132.77KB, 923x573) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Spacetime Inertia
So does the "Spacetime fabric" have a capacity for inertia? It's stuff, isn't it? so if you applied enough inertia, you could warp it. And could this relate at all to zero friction, which, apparently impossible, could be approached with fluids of varying viscosity in a torus?

Some OC from our concerned TAs
>>
Reuben Trotwater - Fri, 26 Sep 2014 22:04:48 EST 01krkNKo No.6500 Reply
>>6499
Inertia is the ability of an object to resist a change in motion, such as angular velocity. Space and time are constituents of motion, so it certainly sounds plausible. Fluids of any viscosity will generate friction. On the other hand, fluids of zero viscosity (superfluids) are frictionless, and no torus required unless you want to create a special magnetic field around the object, or something. Why? Are you trying to build a warp drive?
>>
Hedda Duckstone - Sun, 28 Sep 2014 22:20:05 EST RVngPBEo No.6502 Reply
>>6500
Aww, y'know...

Just hypothesizing 'n whatnot.

>Yeah, if you kept applying energy to speed up a frictionless liquid to near light-speed, you might alter or break"spacetime fabric", because you've approached that sexy lightspeed.
>>
Shit Pusslespear - Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:45:25 EST 01krkNKo No.6503 Reply
>>6502
Interesting. How would you speed it up?
>>
Clara Marringwill - Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:09:35 EST RVngPBEo No.6505 Reply
>>6503

Indeed, how to speed up a frictionless substance. Maybe with a polar magnetic field.
>The struggle is real.
>>
Hugh Binkinshaw - Mon, 06 Oct 2014 20:30:32 EST 01krkNKo No.6507 Reply
>>6505
hmm... I think that would increase the current (not the flow of the fluid but the flow of electric charge). Maybe you can use that to your advantage though.
>>
Martha Hemmertat - Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:44:26 EST 5gD9lQi4 No.6519 Reply
>>6499
Never mind, Lockheed Martin got it figured out.
>>
Walter Doblingten - Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:31:00 EST 01krkNKo No.6520 Reply
>>6519
I'll bet they're using superconducting magnets to achieve it.
>>
TWO QUESTIONS - Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:37:17 EST 2s0Y1xJY No.6551 Reply
>>6499

>Why are fusion reactors the size that they are?
It seems like we can't get enough energy to sustain the reaction. So, if we size it down, while pumping the same amount of energy, wouldn't that help?

>Why can't it be sustained?
What about fusion reactors isn't working? Why isn't the reaction sustaining itself.
>>
Betsy Gobbletitch - Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:57:08 EST 01krkNKo No.6555 Reply
1414724228110.jpg -(24056B / 23.49KB, 750x580) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>6551
>if we size it down, while pumping the same amount of energy, wouldn't that help?

That's the reason inertial confinement fusion works. It took a 500,000,000,000,000 Watt laser pulse aimed at a fuel target the size of a water droplet, but for a brief flash of time, they finally got more energy out of it than was put in.

>What about fusion reactors isn't working? Why isn't the reaction sustaining itself.

The problem with ICF is that it takes a long time to build up a light pulse that only lasts for a fraction of a second, and the few milligrams of fuel is consumed in just as short a time. The problem with tokamaks and stellarators, is that the magnetic fields aren't strong enough. We already know that we can create uncontrolled fusion reactions (thermonuclear warheads), and the National Ignition Facility has demonstrated that it can be done in a controlled environment, without the need for a fission bomb to create enough compressive force. So now, how are we supposed to sustain these powerful forces... how...
>>
Frederick Barrynatch - Tue, 06 Jan 2015 00:30:37 EST 2dRItDh3 No.6604 Reply
the spacetime fabric would be the mesh that our universe is operating in, so the units would be flying past us at wichever rate the observed system is moving, in relation to the set position of the universe?

Pixels on your monitor, they just change data value to represent a different "color"
>>
Angus Cavingbanks - Fri, 09 Jan 2015 14:57:13 EST FbnGM6LP No.6610 Reply
I have your zero viscosity fluid right here. Liquid helium will enter a superfluid phase when cooled to below 4.2K. You can increase the flow rate using pressure in a tube. Unfortunately, liquid helium will freeze but the pressure required is enormous, approximately 26 bar... SO I hypothesize your superfluid helium would freeze solid long before light speed due to inertia alone. All other frictionless fluids would have the same problem, but much much sooner.
>>
Reuben Honeydock - Tue, 03 Feb 2015 17:07:47 EST RVngPBEo No.6634 Reply
>>6610
Bingo.

I've been AFK on this thread for a couple months and came back to find some really cool responses. Thanks y'all.

If only there were a way to electromagnetically compress a DT vapor, while blasting it with a bunch of lasers or a particle beam.
>>6555
>>
Reuben Honeydock - Tue, 03 Feb 2015 17:09:23 EST RVngPBEo No.6635 Reply
which would allow control towards a constant level of fuel in the reactor...
>>
William Purrysodge - Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:05:11 EST Jk2UBRNv No.6643 Reply
>>6499
Last bump I'll give this thread:
Where can I learn more about fusion? I want to help the world, but I don't know where to start learning. I want to learn as much as I can about this jazz without becoming Grant Green. Thinking what can I do to help the process along? Good sources of info. I figure one more mind working at the matter couldn't hurt.
>>
>>
Fucking Nonningfoot - Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:22:36 EST u3tdwnEw No.6649 Reply
Not on the subject of space-time fabric, but is there a principle limit to superfluidics? I had read that for certain materials, superfluid rotation is accompanied by vortices in the material. With sufficient size, would there be a competition between the vortex speeds and cooling due to expansion, etc? I imagine by definition a superfluid is in an "optimal" configuration of atoms, so what would happen if it was exposed to expansion forces which exceeded some property of the system?
>>
Jack Brabblesack - Thu, 23 Apr 2015 01:05:07 EST 11+UlMUB No.6684 Reply
>>6634
Why not sound? Suspended into a combined magnetic webbing of some sort (mind you this is just me spitting shit) maybe use these magnets to potentially coax a "flow" of electrons from the "æther" or whatever you'd wanna call it. I honestly doubt what i'm thinking will output the however required to bend the universe but then again i'm just spittin shit

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.