Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

li-fi to the next level

- Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:56:15 EST JKp7jUDw No.6722
File: 1434758175834.gif -(500516B / 488.79KB, 500x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. li-fi to the next level
fiber optics are already being used to transfer data but not every machine can be directly connected amirite?
so similar to wi-fi and such is it possible to utilize light in the same manner? like specific wavelengths transmitting to a device that would decode it as binary -

in a bigger scale - would it be possible to construct a massive device that could be thrown into space and transmit a binary.. like a star flickering - we're transmitting radio waves into space right?
would this not work? - also, though i don't know much about what i'm talking about
i think lasers would also be able to do the same, though it would take a precise calculation and such.. but say we sent a satellite somewhere like Saturn and fixed it with a device that would transmit the data back to a receiver with a laser transmission i'm sure it could be done...
just trying to think like aliens - i mean.. imagining that aliens are super far from each other and they have to communicate - light is the fastest known thing so.. i would think that transmitting data in this manner would be the best and fastest way...
>>
Phyllis Sippernore - Sun, 21 Jun 2015 00:35:13 EST FJ+CwDYK No.6723 Reply
>>6722
Any electromagnetic wave travels through space at the same speed as light. So in terms of latency, light communication isn't any faster than normal radio communication that we use today. However, optical communication does provide way more bandwidth than radio. Because light has such a short wavelength, a lot more information can be crammed inside a given time frame.

Getting it to work over long distances is a challenge because it takes a lot of power to generate a light signal strong enough to be detected really far away, and the beam must be focussed at the receiver. Technology is starting to catch up to where we can use optical communication at further and further distances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPALS
>>
Phineas Grimford - Mon, 22 Jun 2015 08:21:12 EST nbIafuF3 No.6725 Reply
There's an interesting research paper about this put out by Disney (Yes, that Disney) about specifically this.
You see, an LED is not only an transmitter, but also a receiver, as there is a slight but still there change in resistance when it receives light input of specified bands, usually split by the plastic coating on it.
Hence you can image that if you were to adapt a device to receive and transmit using only one LED, then you could have two of these devices, and do an I2C style master slave transmission routine, that scales up to an arbitrary amount of devices.
I think they get like, 8kb per second over a tiny ass range, but it just werks though.

http://www.disneyresearch.com/project/visible-light-communication/
(Warning, this will start talking at you without any input, so be aware)

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.