Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

3D Printer

- Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:24:05 EST cy21VhZy No.6739
File: 1436991845751.jpg -(24485B / 23.91KB, 320x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 3D Printer
So I was thinking about buying a 3D printer, now that I have a bit of revenue to spend. I want to buy a delta printer for its taller build space, but I'm not sure it's even worth it to buy one at all. I thought it might be fun to produce a bunch of high quality cosplay stuff, which would otherwise take a lot of effort with pepakura, or whatever else, but I don't know what I would make with it other than that. I searched online for things like "Must have for 3D printing" or "Best 3D printed items" to convince myself that it would be worth the money, time and effort that a 3D printer kit requires, but my father brings up the point that I have no real need for one.
TL;DR -Convince me to buy a 3D printer.
>>
Jenny Blunnerfut - Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:26:10 EST cy21VhZy No.6740 Reply
>>6739
Apart from the fact that they are pretty awesome.
>>
Dogshit Stacy - Thu, 16 Jul 2015 01:09:22 EST I7pQzF2r No.6741 Reply
1437023362750.jpg -(811506B / 792.49KB, 883x1076) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
yeah sure you could buy one and play around with it but what if it had real utility, using it like a tool. maybe printing metal? What's your take on how far you want to go?
>>
M - Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:20:12 EST r+NyDE5p No.6742 Reply
I`m sorry but I`m on the side of your father. I really think 3D printers are awesome but they`re just too expensive for most people, I`d use one for weeks, maybe months, but after that, I`d get bored and stop using it because I ran out of stuff to print.
But in the spirit of convincing you: You can print for other people, take a look at 3DHubs, it`s basicly lending your printer to other people for a few bucks.
And if you decide you don`t want one, you can print your stuff with them or maybe through a local makerspace (if you have one close by).

I hope this helps in making the choice.

also;
>>6741
printing metal is not really a consumer thing at this moment, it costs a fortune to buy one.
>>
Oliver Mengermudging - Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:43:13 EST i0do9h1M No.6748 Reply
Many Hacker Spaces have 3D printers which they allow people to use cheaply. I would visit local Hacker Spaces first and see if anyone of them have one and if they do, visit them more and use the printer they have then you'll see if there's any point to have one of your own. Also a good way to meet more people and to get help and input on your projects.
>>
Jarvis Fuckingdock - Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:22:15 EST 9qWH7ZsP No.6753 Reply
>>6748
Chuffing good suggestion, mate.
Top-hole. I shall investigate some of these hacker spaces post-haste!
>>
Sidney Fablingwater - Thu, 13 Aug 2015 01:47:07 EST m9eqGuJq No.6768 Reply
>>6739

Have you even attempted to make something by hand in the past several years, without immediately giving up? I honestly cannot figure out why, beyond cool factor, that these simple devices seem impressive to people. The vast majority of people who use them, either make something once or twice with it, that would had been faster to make by an unskilled hand than to prep the data file for the machine, or mass produce garbage that could had been ordered for cheaper and at higher quality from a factory.

You'd get better results commissioning a professional artist for your cosplay stuff, snf providing them with sketches and clear examples of what you want. Just make a craigslist post in the gigs section. If you're not a douche, it should be easier, cheaper, and give you far better results.
>>
Emma Fucklewater - Mon, 17 Aug 2015 19:00:57 EST cymD6AGd No.6777 Reply
1439852457509.jpg -(50930B / 49.74KB, 562x434) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>6768
I made a wooden butter knife yesterday, forged a wall hook with my friend the day before that, and I made this papercraft armor last summer. It's still got some details that need some work. (I got impatient and didn't do the bondo part, like that weeaboo noted in the comments)

http://cosplay.kotaku.com/master-chiefs-suit-is-made-of-paper-1659837544

(Also, they spelled my name wrong)

I just want something that can give me a higher, more accurate level of detail, as well as easier (if slower) construction of difficult-to-manufacture parts and pieces.
>>
Graham Bardville - Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:19:01 EST m9eqGuJq No.6779 Reply
>>6777

X_x higher level of detail does not come cheap with these machines. Unless you're spending as much as a new car, expect to do as much work as you did on the wooden knife, on every single part to touch it up, unless there's been a major breakthrough in the past six months of which I am unaware.

Did you find any maker/hacker spaces around, where you can get a peek at the equipment in person? They aren't the miracle machines people make them out to be.
>>
Eliza Chaddlemare - Wed, 26 Aug 2015 21:08:31 EST jvhopbea No.6784 Reply
>>6779
Truth.

No, actually I'm on vacation, but I'll have a look when I return. I'm in between jobs atm, so I'm still sorting that out. But there's a company that sells Cartesian and Delta printers that's HQ is like 15 minutes away from my house, so I don't have to pay for shipping, I can just drive down and pick it up. Even with $200-$500 printers, you can expect a decent level of detail, especially for something as large as cosplay pieces. Sanding is probably necessary, but apart from that, it should be ok. Case in point:

http://imgur.com/a/cFsu4

I personally think it looks AMAZING at the primer stage, but he must have used shitty paint or something, cuz I think it looks worse when it's completed.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.