Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Can I put a wheel on a board?

- Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:58:26 EST KPwnLMSi No.6859
File: 1452625106230.jpg -(8543B / 8.34KB, 275x183) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Can I put a wheel on a board?
Posted in the law section, but it might be better placed here due to the nature of my inquiry..

I really like the idea of the self-balancing single wheel skateboard.
Goes 15+MPH, durable, sturdy, and best of all (relatively) simple.

I'm wanting to re-create it with my own looks/ideas, but the patent issues for this type of technology seem cutthroat. Some other company was shut down at CES for having a similar one but the concept is so simple.

I don't know much of anything about the laws for these types of things I'm just a creative/techsavy type. I could have one made within a few weeks but am I going to get shut down because I have a board that uses a microchip to scan various times per second as to how a rider is leaning in order to deliver thrust in one direction or another? Or is it more of a design issue? Can the original creator of the skateboard come out and sue other skateboard companies for making them later on, demanding money and claiming they caused "irreparable damage" by making their own renditions of the same thing?

In all honesty I wouldn't mind selling them once I get a really good one made. The apparent original company for these "Future Motion" is selling them for upwards of $1,500-$2,500 and realistically I think I could make the same thing (if not better) for around $700-$800
>>
Lydia Maffingchat - Sat, 16 Jan 2016 12:25:16 EST z0IUPjyn No.6864 Reply
No matter what you are doing somebody will always be around and have a patent and a bunch of lawyers who might potentially sue you. If your idea is something that you came up yourself and is not based on an existing product you are normally safe.
But if you want to build this exact thing and sell it because you think you can do it cheaper because a) normally you don't and b) duh this is exactly the kind of thing a patent is for, stop copycats.
>>
Scigui - Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:51:40 EST D4pVSMw0 No.6865 Reply
1453071100086.jpg -(75965B / 74.18KB, 458x305) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>6864

Well that's exactly it, some of these self-balancing devices have lots of patents and are hunting those recreating the products (Razer and smart balance wheels)

But some other products like electric longboards have no patents at all, and practically anyone is capable of making their own rendition. Same with some of the electric self balancing unicycles.

Pic related, just one out of 5 or 6 electric boards you can buy in the U.S right now.

They go pretty fcking fast, controlled by attached remote, can climb hills upwards of 15-20MPH depending on the battery pack you go with
>>
Hedda Clenkincocke - Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:31:02 EST z0IUPjyn No.6867 Reply
>>6865
What you can do is designing it and then apply for a patent yourself. If it is accepted you should be fine.
>>
Astroneer - Tue, 09 Apr 2019 11:39:07 EST DLs94/OR No.7226 Reply
1554824347742.jpg -(48855B / 47.71KB, 1067x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>I can feel my ankle breaking from only watching this picture.

The Terror. the screaming.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.