Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Warhammer 40000 - 8th Edition

- Sun, 04 Jun 2017 20:22:58 EST NXpeRQQM No.28557
File: 1496622178871.jpg -(538354B / 525.74KB, 1680x1050) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Warhammer 40000 - 8th Edition
I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion regarding this. Any 40k fans been looking at the leaks of 8th edition at all? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also, what armies do you play?
>>
silent protagonist - Mon, 05 Jun 2017 02:05:43 EST fIOlNKsu No.28562 Reply
I don't know crap about warhammer but I want to try it out. Any suggestions?
Also I'm going to Gen Con, I figured I could try it there, but somehow found no Warhammer events when I tried searching.
>>
Samuel Turveybury - Mon, 05 Jun 2017 22:54:03 EST NXpeRQQM No.28565 Reply
>>28562
Now is the best time to get into it. Lots of experience hobbyists will be getting new models and can offer advice on how to construct, paint, and base (making the bases look rad) your models. The basic rules of this new edition (all you need to play) will be available for free, but I highly recommend looking at the various factions and picking which you think is the one you want to play. Don't worry about how strong the faction is or how easily it can trump other armies; focus on what you want to put together, paint, and have standing on your side of the board.

Each of the factions in 40k have their own Start Collecting! box which are a good basis for beginning an army you want to play. Take a look at each one on the Games Workshop site and decide which one you'll have the most fun working on.

If you need more advice/guidance, you can find me in 420chan IRC's #dnd channel.
>>
Cyril Purringkutch - Tue, 06 Jun 2017 13:20:17 EST v+5dsxyb No.28566 Reply
>>28562
Make sure you're loaded. I've been keeping an eye on it because my friends play now we're all 30. I think it's probably better than blowing a month's pocket money for a model with metal guns that fall of it's plastic body every time a fly sneezes.

I played 2nd and 3rd back when it was just something British teenagers did. I quit as I got older because the prices shot up faster than my income and for the price of an army that actually won games I could buy a fuck load of music. I stopped playing warhammer and spend £50/month on CDs instead to this day. I remember being able to draw with my chaos terminators (well before I painted and varnished them)

Also that and the balance sucked and always has. In 2nd edition it was janky and complicated so it didn't matter so much. You had vortex grenades and devastators, dark reapers, heavy weapon squads etc were all "troops" laser cannons did 2D6 wounds and things had armour values of 21 (and still got fucked by multi meltas) and all that glorious shit. In 3rd they had armies which were only competitive with models they hadn't any intention of releasing and space marines were broken as fuck.

Now I'm an adult I'm almost tempted as my friends are playing it. However they all still earn more than me. I'd be able to make a competitive army but would have to forgo a few months saving for my future. When I win the lottery/get promoted I might join in if they're playing. Thinking salamanders with multi meltas in the tactical squads (because they're the perfect range to negate the opportunity cost that comes with most heavy weapons) and they're basically space bros, Tau because I fucking love guns or maybe IG and choosing on the day between tank columns or hundreds of men... my old squeeze papa nurgle is actually good now but I think my friend is already playing death guard. If not then I'd probably go death guard, though a noise marine army might be fun.

Gorkamorka was the best though. You could buy a viable mob for a full campaign for a few quid and I had a dozen friends in a league that played games twice a week at lunch in school. Racing across the desert with buggies full of orks, that's the first time they implemented the "what fits on and doesn't fall off" rule for ork transports.
>>
Doris Menkinnark - Wed, 07 Jun 2017 00:46:36 EST NXpeRQQM No.28568 Reply
>>28566
Or you could disregard everything Cyril said because he sounds like a jaded neckbeard from 3rd Ed who's 5 editions behind.

Play for fun. There's no need to make "competitive" lists because it is, at its very core, a *game*. You don't need to play to win and if you find someone who is intent at doing that, don't play with them. Win-At-All-Cost players are cancer and no fun to play with.
>>
Albert Nickleworth - Wed, 07 Jun 2017 03:00:46 EST PJbvvYLD No.28569 Reply
I was also surprised there wasn't a thread until now. I play grey knights and hot damn did my guys get nerfed. The new psychic phase and rules seem to have really handicapped my army. My dreadknights seem are out and paladins are better than terminators. At least my squads of interceptors are safe in the new books. Kinda sucks but ive heard lots of different armies complaining so maybe they did achieve the balance they were looking for.
>>
Doris Menkinnark - Wed, 07 Jun 2017 13:32:31 EST NXpeRQQM No.28570 Reply
>>28569
I main Guard and I am nothing but pleased by this turn of events.
>>
James Cemblemock - Thu, 08 Jun 2017 13:19:31 EST 7SPeQabO No.28571 Reply
1496942371923.jpg -(14173B / 13.84KB, 225x225) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>28568
You could even read my whole post. You didn't, you just read a few words and assembled a strawman and it wasn't even because I made a long post, you're a 40k player so that's not an obstacle. You just don't like to admit that GW's model is rather cynical even if the WH40K universe holds a spot in a lot of hearts. Though a few corrections.
>I do not sound like a neckbeard I am a cranky old man
>I am stuck in second edition when you had save modifiers (which they finally brought back) and vortex grenades (everything in the area dies if it's not got a displacer field fucking lol)
>third made some of the biggest changes ever. The difference between subsequent editions is tiny compared to it. Codexs actually carry over between editions now like fuck they would have done that in 2nd and 3rd.
>seriously the stats weren't even the same, the great unclean one was T8 W10. 4+ unmodified save except against force weapons, locational hit tables on tanks "damage" stat on weapons, terminators having a 3+ save but on 2D6...

When I was a kid I had a few friends who played but when you're a kid the person with the most money always wins because they always have cool new units and you don't. So you'd buy a new unit with the hopes of beating them after saving for 3 months and they'd buy 2 more units the next week and back to status quo. If I had more money I'd consider 40K again because I'd be able to splurge some money and get a bit of everything and the games would be down to who picks smarter and players better on the day. Apparently whichever codex just got released is best though.

Being competitive doesn't mean I GOTTA WIN EVERY TIME. It means you can compete, as in put up a fight, be competition and not just a faceroll. If my friends didn't go out drinking for one month they'd probably be able to buy about 4000 points worth of shit for a given army and continue saving up, paying their bills etc. They'd be able to get 1 or 2 of every unit and be able to pick whatever comp they want for a game and once you've got enough money to do that (or to do it over 6 months because everyone needs to make and paint that shit, I hated fielding unpainted models, not sure I ever did) you're on par with everyone else. The fun in a strategy game is in part the narrative but even a good fluffy army needs money and honestly a lot of people really enjoy matching wits with others.

Anyway I'm old school as fuck. I'm actually also hopeful that maybe 8th will be balanced. It will be a first. I'll forgive them a cynical business model if they can at least grasp concepts like "they shall know no fear is better than +1 leadership". Fuck I remember the "shaken" space marine rules too.
>>
George Grandwell - Wed, 14 Jun 2017 03:22:48 EST PJbvvYLD No.28573 Reply
1497424968486.jpg -(2123674B / 2.03MB, 3264x1836) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Picked up my first dreadnought ever last week. Looks like they'll be replacing my dread knights. Any suggestions on where to buy twin linked auto cannons for thme? I'm trying not to go through forge world.
>>
Hamilton Turveybury - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 06:27:21 EST t6Ae7n0O No.28604 Reply
1500460041915.jpg -(75609B / 73.84KB, 1628x916) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
jumping back in. Bought a china recast off ebay of a forge world salamander dreadnought. Have to say for the price I'm very pleased. I live in Australia so GW fucking love price gouging us. So I am planning on doing a salamander army with mostly GW and another space marine army with all recasts. Also have dark eldar sitting around since 3rd with 3rd and 5th edition models.

pic is the dreadnought next to a space marine from the hw box set crica 06
>>
William Nirringpet - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 14:28:51 EST r27cJs8P No.28605 Reply
Hey guys,

If I wanted to get into WH/WH 40k where do I start? Im more interested in building a cool army but I probably wont be playing against other people. I was looking into a Tyrannid set but I dont know.
>>
Hamilton Turveybury - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:56:54 EST t6Ae7n0O No.28606 Reply
>>28605

What do you want? army of big fuck off nids or army of smaller bite your face swarms?
>>
Walter Grandford - Thu, 20 Jul 2017 05:40:42 EST PJbvvYLD No.28607 Reply
>>28605
The start collecting box sets are a good price. You basically get a $40 unit for free.
>>
James Pimmlesed - Tue, 15 Aug 2017 03:38:40 EST d3Rfwh70 No.28617 Reply
1502782720291.jpg -(457498B / 446.78KB, 1600x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I main Guard, but I now have some Death Guard and Primaris Marines because I got the box set.

Havent tried the Guard out yet this addition, but thusfar I'm liking a lot of the changes that have been added to the tabletop and the lore progression.
>>
Sophie Wunningbanks - Tue, 29 Aug 2017 02:36:34 EST NXpeRQQM No.28623 Reply
>>28569
Have you seen the new Grey Knights codex? Zero to Hero real quick

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.