Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Dwarf Fortress by James Randi - Thu, 24 May 2018 11:39:37 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720038 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1527176377964.png -(180076B / 175.86KB, 860x516) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 180076
If you haven't played dwarf fortress yet what are you even doing?
Have you ever wanted to manage a bunch of drunk ants and commit genocide at the same time?

Try dwarf fortress.
I'm currently in the middle of one of my longest lived fortresses to date. It´s 13 in game years old.
It´s a reclaimed site that failed after one year when a hoard of zombies marched on my newly established fortress.
After the reclaim the first 3 years or more were spent collecting corpses and cleaning gore and banishing ghosts.
Being raised around constant filth of corpses and ghosts then later invasions that involved alot of zombie and goblin death have cause most people in my fortress to have the tag `Didnt feel any thing when`with all their memories....
so most of the fort are sociopaths.

But after that I´ve repelled every invasion and have recently been made by the local undead and goblin forces.

But the most recent raid included 53 goblins
I lost only 3 military dwarfs and most of my animals.
I just discovered deep caverns and am slowly moving all my live stock into the cave.

My current project is building giant pyramid over the pile of dead bodies of invaders and dead zombies so that when a necromancer shows up he cant raise them all as an army.
>>
Tidus - Thu, 24 May 2018 15:54:14 EST ID:WIXipuvJ No.720065 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1527191654440.png -(669056B / 653.38KB, 2905x2677) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Fukin love them Dorfs.

What settings do you play with for such long fortresses? I always get sad about the FPS death but I haven't experimented too much with retiring a fortress.

I love the libraries thing and my goal is to make a legendary one. I usually check in every couple months or so for new updates. Is that raiding party thing released?
>>
Laura Croft - Thu, 24 May 2018 17:37:26 EST ID:FqTfAZAX No.720076 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Yeah how have you not achieved FPS death by 13 years? I keep hard cap low on both visitors and population, and the dwarven atom smashers occupied, yet 13 years is still impossible for me.

>>720065

>Is that raiding party thing released?

YES? What are you doing not keeping yourself updated?

Toady has adopted a frequent update schedule my man. Instead of packing as much new features into the next update, it's released per one feature now. It's great!
>>
Franziska Von Karma - Fri, 25 May 2018 00:51:24 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.720111 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I like generating a world with hidden history, and then going out and playing Archeologist or pretending my fortress is actually a dig site.
>>
James Randi - Fri, 25 May 2018 04:07:56 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720119 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720065
I set population caps in the raw files for everything.
Books are currently too economically difficult for my fort to produce.
>>
James Randi - Sat, 26 May 2018 05:23:54 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720231 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720119
also i still dont understand the practical use of books other than an expensive trade and leisure item. it seems most books contain little to no usefull info for my dwarves
>>
Sander Cohen - Sat, 26 May 2018 19:27:32 EST ID:FqTfAZAX No.720267 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720231

Apparently sometimes your dorf scholars can make a major breakthrough that makes a difference across your civ. But mostly they'll focus on reproductive behavior or write sub par prose trying to make guides to someplace in the world.

A lot like how real universities function.

You can ignore this part of DF as much as you like, but personally I think that a fortress with enough surplus to keep a useless library going is way more prestigious than a purely economical one.
>>
James Randi - Mon, 28 May 2018 08:16:33 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720363 Ignore Report Quick Reply
My other current project is to try to dig into hell.

You guys have any other interesting things I can build or do while I'm in search of hell?

I don't have access to magma, but I have water. I was thinking of some sort of drowning traps or something to kill invaders.
Maybe I'll try for a big library and allow more people to visit with my tavern
>>
Hanzo Hattori - Mon, 28 May 2018 11:08:49 EST ID:FqTfAZAX No.720370 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720363

Dunno how you arrange your forts, but putting some effort into making it grand is always a good goal.

Personally I enjoy making 3-5z high "hallways" in a cross-pattern, then carve out balconies and entryways into the rock face with rooms in the wall. Kinda like the ancient city Petra, only underground.
Alternatively you can carve out an underground "skyscraper" where the upper class lives, with lower classes delegated to the walls around it. Or just carve out houses in a massive artificial cavern.

My most ambitious project, which failed spectacularly thanks to a werebeast, was an underground Hanging Gardens. I carved out a massive ziggurat underground, and arranged a complicated system of waterways to spread mud where I wanted. The plan was to allow cavern fungus to spread across the ziggurat gardens, with ponds in key areas and rivers flowing down its sides.
It turned into a mausoleum with no gardens though thanks to that fucking werebeast, with the survivors working for months to make coffins for the 70 or so dead.
>>
R.O.B. - Mon, 28 May 2018 18:56:22 EST ID:MfBgmL/W No.720399 Ignore Report Quick Reply
am I the only one that prefers to build fortresses inside mountains instead of just building the entrance in the middle of an empty field? as a tolkien fan, I want my dwarves to be mountain dwarves, damnit. in my last successful dwarf fortress, I completely hollowed out a mountain before I started digging down (with the throne room right in the very tip of the mountain).
I was pretty proud of that one.

unfortunately there was river on the surface, and after a while I realized my fortress wasn't going to get much farther without running water for electricity. this bummed me out so I kind of stopped playing.

yes, I know there's deep cavern rivers but taking advantage of that with most of my dwarves living on the surface seemed like a fucking nightmare project.
>>
R.O.B. - Mon, 28 May 2018 18:57:26 EST ID:MfBgmL/W No.720400 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720399
unfortunately there was NO river on the surface*
>>
Cranky Kong - Mon, 28 May 2018 19:50:44 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720401 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1527551444897.png -(85236B / 83.24KB, 250x304) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>720399
If you need a river to generate power, build one.
You can get power from the water flowing down the river, and when the water gets to the end, pump it back to the start of the river.
>>
James Randi - Tue, 29 May 2018 05:56:52 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720415 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Tell me how you guys do your forts.
I typically burrow int the side of a mountain, I make one long entry way with a first storage room so i can immediately take apart my wagon.

Remove all the slopes near the entrance

Then I dig into a soil layer near a pond. Build a farm next to it with doors to stop the water from running into the fortress.

I also ussualy try to connect ponds to rivers and streams so that I can latter build an underground aquaduct. You can survive a seige way longer with a functioning well inside the fort.

I dig down several layers then start making a big first work shop hall with small stock piles.

Then I also never make stairs straight down, it allows uninvited guests to move to quickly through my fort.
I build spiraling star cases connected by long hallways. I build the rooms off of the these hall ways.
Then I fill the hallways with traps, occasionally pasturing war dogs in random places so they can detect hidden enemy's.

I currently have one pretty good Army consisting of 3 squads.
1: The ClaspedHammers lead by an Axelord who is also a ledgendary hammerer. He is also the Sherrif, one time expadition leader, one time mayor, currently fighting on despite missing a leg.

2:The Costal Ships
Archer squad. I have a tower above the fort entrance that I can station them during seiges to fire at the enemy from the saftey of the fort.

3:I forget this squads name and im too lazy to look.
A new squad of fighters lead by one of the more skilled members of the old squad with a good level of teaching skill

I have a legendary dining hall.
Most of the fort is smoothed and engraved now.
Statues everywhere
112 coffins to hold the dead. I originally reclaimed this fort from one that was immediately seiged by a hoard of about 80+ undead in the first year. Pop of about 80 plus visitors from the tavern plus the people who died in latter from the ghosts.

Every year since there is an anual zombie invasion.
Too much live stock
2 tame beak dogs that dont seem to want to breed

Were low on Iron bearing ores at the moment but I have enough gold, silver, brass, bronze, pewter to trade for any thing i need.

I'm working on getting a library started.
Just breached deep caverns.
I see spider silk every where.....I want to capture a giant cave spider and farm its silk.

Currently my pop is like 120 total plus livestock which i need to deal with.
I think I could probably handle 150 but the fps is already dipping a bit.
>>
James Randi - Tue, 29 May 2018 09:24:27 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720431 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720415
Also I make extensive use of moats.
>>
Strider Hiryu - Wed, 30 May 2018 21:25:56 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720579 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1527729956959.png -(1148524B / 1.10MB, 1920x1048) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>720415
It varies based on the surroundings and other circumstances. Open, cliff-side fortress are fun.

My latest fort is in a flat, relatively peaceful forest, and there's a deep aquifer, so I figured I'd keep everything on the surface.

Some robots shoot anything hostile that flies/wanders nearby, and a dry moat helps keep them safe.

No one's been injured yet, but I ought to make the moat a bit bigger after a bunch of ghouls jumped across the moat and fucked up a protectatron.
>>
James Randi - Thu, 31 May 2018 07:24:59 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720608 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720579
robots?
>>
Strider Hiryu - Thu, 31 May 2018 12:17:07 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720624 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720608
Fallout mod.

A super-mutant and a child-snatcher from the slavers just arrived up as guests, should I be concerned?
They're currently in the tavern, dancing.
>>
James Randi - Thu, 31 May 2018 14:37:06 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720643 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720624
other than a tile set i play vanilla
>>
Cheetahmen - Thu, 31 May 2018 20:07:09 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720658 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1527811629691.png -(18309B / 17.88KB, 863x146) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Welp, time to seal off the caves.
>>
Caius Cosades - Thu, 31 May 2018 20:09:21 EST ID:FqTfAZAX No.720659 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720658

Aw dude, sent your militia to their glorious deaths!

Also, anyone had any luck raiding yet?
>>
Alice - Thu, 31 May 2018 21:16:36 EST ID:WIXipuvJ No.720662 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720660
A lot of times the crazy stuff is happening but it takes a lot of effort still to read through the logs and piece together the story. Rimworld is a lot of fun and easier to get into if you like a sci-fi theme. It has a cool raiding/multiple settlement feature now but I don't think it will ever reach the depth of DF. I just read about how Toady is working on making memories and experiences change a dorf's personality over time and am so hyped.
>>
Cheetahmen - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 00:55:19 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720670 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720659
I figured I'd outfit the the army to rid the surface of the buzzards that had been plaguing the haulers, as a stepping stone to taking on the giant flying armored dinosaur full of poison gas in the caves.

10 armed with revolvers, 10 armed with combat rifles, 10 armed with chainsaws, decked out in full combat armor/helmets/boots/gasmasks/pipboys and every chem we'd salvaged vs 12 buzzards.

Several months of running around the forest trying to hunt the buzzards later, we'd killed 8 of them, at the cost of several hundred rounds, and only took one casualty (he was eaten by a crocodile), the rest of buzzard flock flew away.

During this, the forgotten beast wandered off, so I'm going to call the Buzzard War a complete success.
>>
James Randi - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 11:44:27 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720694 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I've had ok luck with raiding.
If you can find a near by weak target its a great way to power level military it seems.
But the biggest risk is you have no control no the outcome and the material rewards of raids are small. You can thin out future invading armies and stuff with this but it also serves to embolden your enemies.
I have a goblin fort that I'm trying to wear down near me but every year they keep sending giant fuck off raids.

I'm currently trying to move entirely under ground and will have an area that functions like an air lock for trade wagons.

I abandoned the sun.

The most rediculous things do indeed happen in every fort but unless you know who to decipher everything you see and are willing to do a bunch of reading it's just meaningless blinking dots on a screen.

The story of my current fort is pretty fun so far.

>First attempt at striking the earth, lasts around a year until a hoard of about 50+ undead start marching on the fortress.
>I quickly got as many inside as I could but a few were unlucky to be trapped out side
>Also all my livestock were outside.
>Most of the survivors trapped underground with dwindling food supplies.
>No help from the mountain home to come and save us.
>Recruit every one into military.
>Every one armed with basic weapons no armor to speak of
>Line hall with traps
>Open the doors
>about 20+ zombies died
>The hoard marches in and devours every one
>Watch 2 childeren try to run and hide (imagine the Jurassic park scene with the two kids hiding from the raptors in the kitchen) in the bed rooms. They enter one room. I lock the door behind them
>A few surviors are still fighting near by on the same floor.
>I direct them too the kids to try and save them
>1 by one the last dwarfs are devoured by the hoard
>1 last axedorf in a martial trance fights the hoard alone (for a suprisingly long time) and takes several more corpses with him with him
>Dies infront of the children in the bed room
>Zombies eat kids
>That was fun
>>
James Randi - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 11:51:33 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720696 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720694
Attempt two

>Reclaim Site
>Corpses every where
>Gore Every WHERE
>spend 3 years collecting corpses and dodging ghosts
>So many ghosts
>Every one in fort is now an emotionless sociopath from living amongst so much death
>Every year both goblins and zombies invade
>Every fucking year (so far not at the same time)
>So much death
>Fort grows despite this
>Military becomes ledgendary
>Yearly raids agaisnt the goblins the north
>Begin trade with some how human civ in an abandoned necromancer tower to the south (Probably source of zombies) I'll declare war on them soon
>Finally banish every last ghost and bury all the meaningful dead bodies
>111 coffins
>Normal fortress life ticks on despite the constant raids
>Have inepentrable defences, raids now fairly easily dealt with until a building destroyer comes or raiders bring flying mounts
>Become barony
>Discover deep caverns
>Begin to colonize caverns
>Forget the sun

And thats where I am now.
>>
James Randi - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:02:40 EST ID:lKKHx6TD No.720698 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720696
my last fort had a funny thing happen.

I was in the middle of trading with the elves. I finish the trade when one suddenly turns out to be a fucking god damned Weremongose. He suddenly transforms, the elves with him try to take him down but are immediately turned to paste. The beast then starts eating all my animals.
I decided to send out my weak "military" made of peasants and untrained idiots.
As my military approach he turns back into an elf.
My military chase him off screen.
Take the entire trade caravan left by the elves.
Eventually this fort fell to a vampire
>>
Cheetahmen - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:19:24 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720729 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1527891564691.png -(1059586B / 1.01MB, 1917x1053) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>720670
After the Buzzard Wars, I figured a horde of untrained gunmen was a poor strategy.
So I built a massive tavern, stocked with masterwork cups and instruments.

This attracted wastelanders, mercenaries, supermutants, and BoS.
Within a few months 20+ mercs and wastelanders had petitioned to soldier for the fortress, each of which had some military experience.
The mutants and BoS never offered to join, but they'd probably pitch in if any battles took place inside the tavern.

At the same time, we managed to repair a destroyed set of enclave and BoS power armor, so the Captain of the Guard and Hammerer were given power armor, anti-material rifles, plasma lances, and trained in armor user and sniping via their own personal virtual reality pods.
I really hope no one breaks any laws.

The reorganization was just in time for a night-kin to get detected in the center of the village, trying to steal the legendary blackjack artifact.

The drawbridges were raised, trapping her in while the army organized.

Outnumbered, she fled, using stealth mid-combat, dodging bullets, deflecting bullets, or simply out-running anyone who caught sight of her.
Several times she vanished as if she'd got away, until a pet detected her.

But eventually the she was caught trying to climb out of the dry-moat, a long 3-tile wide trench circling half the village with two exits.
The militia was divided into two groups, each taking one side.
With nowhere to run, half the militia was on top of her in moments.
And she immediately crippled four of them, smashing legs, ribs, and spines in a single blow, kicking one into the wall hard enough to spray his teeth everywhere, while continuing to dodge every bullet, chainsaw, pitch-fork, and knife.
But they delayed her long enough for the Guard to get in there.

The mutant failed to dodge the .50 cals and had her legs shot out.
While the power-armor squad switched to their thermal lances, two of the crippled militia proceeded to bashed her head into gore, as they bled to death next to her.

When the battle was over, the injured were rushed to the hospital. Most didn't make it, but the one who kicked the mutant's skull in while inches from death was put into a stasis-pod. The cybernetics lab is still under-work, but one day she will lead our army.

Apparently she's 283 years old, despite the world being 77 years old.
>>
Cheetahmen - Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:38:58 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.720732 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1527892738691.png -(64419B / 62.91KB, 1710x202) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>720729
The survivors of the militia seem pretty traumatized.
>>
James Randi - Sun, 03 Jun 2018 07:59:08 EST ID:Y+ytSMAY No.720798 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Do you guys ever use siege weapons? I'm about to mount some on the roof of my fort to thin invading hoards of the undead. I figured if I just fling big rocks at them with batista while their still approaching that would work.
I may also set up a batista just inside the main hall on a pressure plate (can you connect balista to plates so they trigger if a monster steps on it???)
>>
James Randi - Sun, 03 Jun 2018 08:01:44 EST ID:Y+ytSMAY No.720799 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720798
Fling big rocks with a catapult*
>>
Mayor MacCready - Sun, 03 Jun 2018 14:26:23 EST ID:X6tPd+tk No.720807 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528050383078.gif -(671715B / 655.97KB, 180x169) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>720799
Fling big rocks with a catapult
>>
Lydia - Fri, 08 Jun 2018 02:15:54 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721067 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528438554575.png -(819749B / 800.54KB, 1914x1052) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
wtf I unretired a fort and the underground volcano started erupting.

In hindsight it might have been a bad idea to house the entire metal industry around the smelting/forging pit.

It's not unrecoverable, I didn't need that cavern layer anyway, and migrants are a renewable resource.
>>
Katt Monroe - Fri, 08 Jun 2018 14:48:52 EST ID:FqTfAZAX No.721083 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720798

>(can you connect balista to plates so they trigger if a monster steps on it???)

No, I think you need siege operators working them.

Personally I find siege weapons more of a hassle really, collapsable hallways and drowning rooms are much more efficient.
>>
Kilik - Mon, 11 Jun 2018 23:33:17 EST ID:KTYk04BK No.721414 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>720729
bump for more stories

how steep is the learning curve if you've never played a game like this? Are you given a limited amount of time between "steps"? Like, it seems as though there is a lot of reading, do I have time to go through all of that?

Are there difficulty levels so I can maybe start on easy a few times and get killed and then after I get the hang try something harder?

There's talk about addons/updates in the first few posts, do they come built into the game now or is there like a vanilla version, as another person said they didn't play with all the updates?
>>
Mileena - Mon, 11 Jun 2018 23:58:21 EST ID:IN5Lvrt6 No.721417 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721414
The learning curve is steep but you can get over it within a week if your on the slower side. You can get through it faster than that too, depends on you.

The thing is that an awful lot of the game uses diffrent keyboard inputs menu to menu. Now you you've got time between moves, there is no onus to move at light speed. But truthfully you'll want to get a rythm going or else you'll bore yourself.

The key is taking the game in chunks and getting the interface down. Its not something you'll get all at once. But thats okay if your really determined to play it you can make it.

There aren't difficulty levels in game (unless they added some since hte last time I played a few years ago). But you can mod the game to be a little bit harder if you really want to. Believe it or not once you get going its not as hard as your expecting. Bad, crazy things will hapeen but thats the entertainment of the game basically. If your not in it for fun loses, you wont like this type of game.

Theres a vanilla version then a handful of versions that contain modpacks. You get them all at the same website, just do a little bit of poking around.

There's a good amount of reading to do. But the games fun and rewarding once you learn it. I'll check back here and if your having issues I'll try and help you out. If you read this and decide I don't got the patience for that shit, eh don't blame you. Its up to you playa.
>>
Bad Mr. Frosty - Tue, 12 Jun 2018 00:00:11 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.721418 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528776011053.png -(394619B / 385.37KB, 1000x1288) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>721414
>how steep is the learning curve if you've never played a game like this? Are you given a limited amount of time between "steps"? Like, it seems as though there is a lot of reading, do I have time to go through all of that?

A) Massive, if you've never played any city builders/roguelikes/management games, B) pic related is a good idea of what the "steps" are in the game, C) yes, although the wiki is probably one of the most helpful for any game.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Unfortunately, the only way to adjust the "difficulty" is to already know what makes a fortress difficult to run, so you have to know or memorize a list of things to avoid.

>There's talk about addons/updates in the first few posts, do they come built into the game now or is there like a vanilla version, as another person said they didn't play with all the updates?

The game gets updated pretty regularly, but (at least if it's still anything like it was 6 years ago) every update is likely to cause as many bugs as it fixes. So people like to play the most stable recent versions.

There's a thing called "The Lazy Newb Pack" which is a bundle of the lastest version along with a lot of necessary utilities, so get that if you have any interest.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:Lazy_Newb_Pack
>>
Bad Mr. Frosty - Tue, 12 Jun 2018 00:03:46 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.721419 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721414
Incidentally, the most difficult part of the learning curve is all the keyboard shortcuts.

There are several multi-layer menus that have things mapped to each letter, so it's kinda like playing a musical instrument.
>>
Reaver - Tue, 12 Jun 2018 00:39:56 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721433 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721414
>how steep is the learning curve if you've never played a game like this?
It's nearly as bad as the others are posting, you can plod along and just learn a new thing when it seems useful.
Definitely use this: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622 and keep the wikipedia open in a new window
It comes with actual tilesets instead of text-based tilesets and Dwarf Therapist so you can read all dwarfs skills and set their labors at a glance.

>Are you given a limited amount of time between "steps"?
The game pauses when you go into menus to do stuff.

>Like, it seems as though there is a lot of reading, do I have time to go through all of that?
Other than the menus, you don't have to read anything, but the available if you want detail.

>Are there difficulty levels so I can maybe start on easy a few times and get killed and then after I get the hang try something harder?
Well you can always start in a location that's peaceful, but finding strange, new ways to lose in new ways is part of the fun.

>do they come built into the game now or is there like a vanilla version, as another person said they didn't play with all the updates?
The game comes with all the updates, but some mods don't update or are slow to do so, and sometimes major updates break old saves so some people don't update.
>>
Reaver - Tue, 12 Jun 2018 11:14:27 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721474 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721433
*it's not nearly as bad
>>
Haohmaru - Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:08:22 EST ID:MOn18dK/ No.721546 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528855702323.jpg -(175130B / 171.03KB, 750x750) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The graphics suck too fucking hard. I'm sorry, but even with the graphics mods it still looks like Habbo or some shit. I just can't get into it, I've tried but nope. Shame because it sounds like a lot of fun.
>>
Master Hand - Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:22:32 EST ID:G4F2twiA No.721548 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721546

Just play it without graphics then.
>>
Isa Jo - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 06:06:22 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.721575 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528884382084.jpg -(21822B / 21.31KB, 400x285) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>721546
>>
Kirtaner !Ub4TCdRjOM - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 17:38:11 EST ID:E6kbmKhH No.721619 Report Quick Reply
1528925891647.jpg -(152179B / 148.61KB, 976x814) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
considering playing dorf fort now that i have good enough hardware
>>
Servbot - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 18:23:36 EST ID:FqTfAZAX No.721623 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721619

DF is still not designed for multiple processor cores though, I've been told.

I usually run 70 pop fortesses and I get FPS slowdown about around when I reach the 'candy'. FPS death follows a few years after that. And I have a quad core that handles everything else I throw at it.

I probably should reduce the hard cap for visitors. I do build dwarven atomizers to get rid of stuff not needed in order to reduce load.

>>721414

The steep learning curve is bullshit. IT IS A LIE.

Thing is you just can't transfer your regular gaming logic into this game. And that together with its bullshit keyboard setup makes it obtuse for new players.
Once you get the interface, and general shit like providing your dwarves with 3x3 farms and a few stills for alcohol, you're basically set.
>>
Kirtaner !Ub4TCdRjOM - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 22:31:44 EST ID:aAym+zf/ No.721651 Report Quick Reply
>>721623
do you think 5.3ghz will do better once i get it under water
>>
Edgar Ross - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 23:05:50 EST ID:VMUEZM15 No.721657 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721651
Ffs, now you're going scuba diving? You're life sounds so much more interesting than mine.
>>
Starfy - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 23:20:07 EST ID:KTYk04BK No.721660 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721651
I looked at the sys reqs, it doesn't seem to require all that much power, are you just trying to bigger dick right now?
>>
Blaze the Cat - Wed, 13 Jun 2018 23:24:08 EST ID:urTs3wyJ No.721661 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721651
You could probably run it on air if you delid that boy and use the liquid metal.
I absolutely wouldn't want to void that warranty though.

Moral of the story: fuck Intel, fuck thermal paste. Any CPU over 500 bucks should be soldered to the heat spreader, no exceptions.
>>
Tyrant T-103 - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 00:36:54 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721665 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528951014101.png -(2782748B / 2.65MB, 1678x1073) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>721546
Armok Vision has come a long way, if graphics are your hangup, try that.
>>
Buck Bumble - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 01:47:08 EST ID:KSsHN8aM No.721669 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721660
Dwarf fortress is single threaded and the CPU not the GPU is the bottleneck. It is also very scalable by the user. Most games are written to play out at a certain speed and the game will just try render images of what's happening as fast as possible. Dwarf fortress is written kind of like a physics simulator. How fast the simulation plays out is based on how complicated the simulation is and how powerful your equipment is. The game actually gets better not prettier with better hardware.
>>
Ness - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 02:48:01 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.721675 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721665
Did someone actually make open cliffface bedrooms, or is that just how it renders?
>>
Blaze the Cat - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 03:40:49 EST ID:urTs3wyJ No.721679 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721669
Someone port Dwarf Fortress to run in OpenCL.
Slap that bitch on the GPU. Simulate them Dwarfs on Volta Tensor cores.
>>
Tyrant T-103 - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 07:55:56 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721691 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528977356101.png -(3074639B / 2.93MB, 1680x1076) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>721675
Most of the fort is etched into the side of the cliff.
It hasn't been so bad, but I'm considering starting a swimming program after half the militia decided to leap off the cliff while fighting a single ghoul.
>>
Ness - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 08:00:47 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.721693 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721691
I'd imagine they'd be picked off by anything that can fly. I used to always have a open outdoor space at the top of my fort for animals and farming, but it just served as a way for undead eagles to get in.
>>
Kirtaner !Ub4TCdRjOM - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 09:02:47 EST ID:aAym+zf/ No.721696 Report Quick Reply
>I looked at the sys reqs, it doesn't seem to require all that much power, are you just trying to bigger dick right now?

i'm joking, but historically DF has been punishing on whatever you can throw at it

>>721661
>You could probably run it on air if you delid that boy and use the liquid metal.

already delidded, made sure it POSTs and immediately gave it the liquid metal treatment. on air it's almost unusable at stock speeds unless you slap a gigantic noctua on it, AIO water coolers not much better, we're talking 30-40c idle to 110c at 100% load within seconds but with that many cores you don't even notice the throttling

custom loops basically needed to get everything out of this thing, monoblock and gigantic radiators already ordered

rockit cool has replacement full copper heat spreaders now for $20, going to try that out too
>>
Tyrant T-103 - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 09:03:10 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721697 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1528981390101.png -(877974B / 857.40KB, 1666x1071) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>721693
A few guards are always on the bridge, the tavern usually has some BoS, mutants, or mercs hanging around, and the side is open, and everyone has some sort of ranged weapon.

The real problem has been hordes of ghouls just running in and outnumbering the sentries before the rest of the fort can be mustered.
>>
Sam Fisher - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 20:55:53 EST ID:HqjDjZ8d No.721734 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721696
>already delidded
Well that's brave. I would have just got a 32 core Threadripper instead and sucked up the weak single core performance.
>rockit cool has replacement full copper heat spreaders now for $20
Meh. But that's not very expensive. Still might get a couple degrees difference out of it.
>>
Kirtaner !Ub4TCdRjOM - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:28:17 EST ID:aAym+zf/ No.721742 Report Quick Reply
>>721734
7900X performs better than the 1950X on almost every metric and costs the same.

I'd easily take better overclocking potential, AVX-512 performance, and cooler/waterblock compatibility over 6 extra cores that perform worse in standard tasks. The 7920X is also marginally more in cost and would further outperform it if you required more cores/threads.

Plus, for my use cases, macOS has native X299 support and any AMD Hackintosh system requires herculean amounts of effort to run and maintain over time. Windows is only installed for gaming.
>>
Sam Fisher - Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:47:22 EST ID:HqjDjZ8d No.721743 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721742
Oh I meant the new one. But yeah, not being out for another few more months is a bit of a performance hit.

I just wish AMD would pull ahead in raw speed and trounce Intel for a few years. Super high core count is a pretty niche advantage.
>any AMD Hackintosh system requires herculean amounts of effort to run and maintain over time
I run mine in a passthrough VM, but holy shit that was difficult to get running and installed initially. The kick in the balls is that it takes a while to boot them up, and they have to be shut down to switch the GPU around anyway, so it's basically just as bad as dual booting.
>>
Kirtaner !Ub4TCdRjOM - Fri, 15 Jun 2018 00:18:09 EST ID:aAym+zf/ No.721749 Report Quick Reply
>>721743
250w TDP... jesus christ you could fuel a thermoelectric generator with that, good luck meeting stock power requirements with current gear, might as well be a new fucking socket if not for the fact that they're nothing more than binned 1950X's that made it through fab with the two normally disabled Ryzen cores usable
>>
Sub-Zero - Sun, 17 Jun 2018 02:00:50 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721916 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1529215250130.png -(18089B / 17.67KB, 865x144) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>720038
Pic related strolled into a cavern.
A section of the stairs were immediately ordered to be walled off, while a circle of trenches and fortifications were designated so the marksmen could surround and fill it with lead before it got close.
The militias were mustered and they prepared for battle.

Except one of the miners, unarmored except for his shoes passed by the beast on his way to dig out the fortifications.
And immediately proceeded to cripple the thing with his drill.
He spent the next several hours kicking, biting, and drilling the thing, dodging every swing and spit, not taking a single wound, at one point, using his teeth to shaking the poor thing around by it's leg, tearing all the tendons.

Then he passed out on the stairs for several hours. But I guess he was just tired, not dying of poison from the forgotten beast, since he got up, and went back to work.
>>
Dick Gumshoe - Sun, 17 Jun 2018 20:11:42 EST ID:o7v2cc0f No.721981 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1529280702293.jpg -(311086B / 303.79KB, 1772x1392) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>721916
50 slavers invaded.

Some minor, unnotable catastrophes had lowered the population to 34 able-bodied fighters, most of whom were inexperienced.
Everyone was assigned the best guns, melee weapons, and armor we had, and were sent to muster in a valley next to the brahmin field.

The slavers approached, but when several of them stopped to kill the brahmin, the squads climbed over the ridge and opened fire.
The brahmin-russlers were incapacitated by the first wave of bullets, and both armies charged, at which point a previously unnoticed hauler who'd been assigned a minigun entered VATS and killed 19 of them herself.
Routed, the rear of the slaver army broke off and retreated, while the snipers fired into the opposing army indiscriminately.

The battle decisively won, all soldiers were released.
Which made some of them very angry. The fully armed and armored veterans proceeded to start throwing tantrums, and pretty soon there was a firefight outside the dining room.
After about 5 minutes of the place getting riddled with minigun, laser, and plasma-caster rounds, the fights seemed to break up as participants got tired, injured, calmed down, or just ran off, all somehow without anyone actually getting killed.

Except a few minutes later, outside the bedrooms, one of the runners charged out of a bedroom with a chainsaw, knocking them unconscious.
She then proceeded to kick his head in until it collapsed.

They're all constantly reliving the horrors of seeing their friends die, taking traumatic injuries, moments of embarrassment, or that time two years ago they saw a dead ghoul's corpse, anyone have any ideas how I can keep them from killing eachother?
Minor tantrums and fistfights aren't a problem for the hospital, and incoming migrants can replace the occasional suicide or death due to wounds, but they were actually trying to kill eachother.
>>
Pitfall Harry - Mon, 18 Jun 2018 23:01:55 EST ID:KTYk04BK No.722061 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>721981
Weed makes friends

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.