Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Online gaming?

- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 14:07:03 EST 6bJBRCJH No.733252
File: 1552414023189.jpg -(14380B / 14.04KB, 360x197) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Online gaming?
So this is supposed to be the era of online, multiplayer gaming right? People complain even if a new kirby game doesn't have online. So how come I can't find any good online games to play? Is it because I have no friends or because I don't play battle royale games? Not that I'm looking for any players to play anything, but some time ago I kept looking around with a friend for some games we could play and found nothing, thought it was super weird. Seems like there are only shooters, battle royale and fighting games.
>>
James Randi - Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:21:19 EST bSKc71s/ No.733255 Reply
1552418479740.jpg -(48594B / 47.46KB, 757x578) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Depends on what you think is a good game.
I play a bunch of unpopular enthusiastic multi-player games.
Ever here of space station 13
>>
Gunther von Esling - Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:42:44 EST HVlnnNcy No.733256 Reply
>>733252
Plenty of on line nerd games. Divinity Original Sin and 2 are good shit. Most XXXX games are good for multiplayer. Sports games of course. Racing games.

That said I think the era of tacked on on line is peaking. Some games work as single players, some work as multiplayers. A few work well as both but not that many. Most of those are ones that are designed with other actors with similar agency to the player in single player. Then other people can take their spots.

Hopefully the mass market dedicated multiplayer game phenomenon will be the death of half arsed multiplayer as a requirement. There are games dedicated to giving them their fix so either you make it good or they go play PUBG. DOOM wasted money and time on its multiplayer and it won't be the last.
>>
Four - Thu, 14 Mar 2019 08:47:35 EST dFnD4ZID No.733349 Reply
1552567655137.png -(378975B / 370.09KB, 768x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Try Army of Two. Good game designed to played with as a couch coop,, can’t even play it solo. Played it with my friend and thought it was great.
Also the special missions in Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2 are really fucking fun. Used to play them with my roommate and try to get the gold star for all the missions and it was intense. Awesome game.
>>
Magus - Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:59:00 EST uo28BM46 No.733353 Reply
>>733349
Army of 2 (terrible even when playing with a friend) and MW2? And you still try calling other people normies?
>>
Four - Thu, 14 Mar 2019 10:06:33 EST gsvxpxbR No.733354 Reply
1552572393945.png -(106086B / 103.60KB, 722x1106) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>733353
>terrible even when playing with a friend

Maybe you should find better friends. But listen, i know CODMW2 is as normie as it can get but the special ops missions were awesome. Also the zombies were kind of fun. Its just not a lot of people get the chance to try them out. They're so much fun.
>>
Sheogorath - Thu, 14 Mar 2019 10:50:08 EST OH/OGlHP No.733357 Reply
I mean what games are you into lmao

twinkle star sprites has a steam port with netplay now and there's shit like rival megagun coming out so even a shmup autist like me is set for multiplayer
>>
Magus - Thu, 14 Mar 2019 10:58:00 EST uo28BM46 No.733358 Reply
>>733354
Doesnt matter if Ao2 is played with a friend or not, the game sucks. We beat that shit in 1 night and returned it the next day. Then again we only played the devils cartel, maybe the 2 previous ones were better. And those special ops missions are fun the first time, but thats it. I was never into the zombies anyways though.
>>
Dr. Neo Cortex - Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:28:26 EST UcENjjuY No.733361 Reply
>>733358
The 3rd one is the worst one and killed any future the series may have had.

They were decent 3rd person shooters in their day with some neat mechanics designed specifically for co-op. I'm guessing they haven't aged well.
>>
M'aiq - Sat, 23 Mar 2019 06:15:05 EST 5tf/VD54 No.733880 Reply
1553336105204.jpg -(63999B / 62.50KB, 1024x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>733252
Not sure what you're into but can definitely agree on Divinity Original Sin 2, Baldurs Gate 2 is older but also pretty good and works cross platform on phone/pc. Grim Dawn is a fantasy one with hack n slash/shooter elements and magic in a victorian dystopia. Bunch of free games on steam like the space frontier of Battle Star Galactica Online or the gritty zombie apocalypse of Dead Frontier 2 among many.

If you don't mind older graphics or games then Age of Empires 2 or Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim can be entertaining for some hours, Golden Axe 1 or 2 are also a fun challenge with a friend as goes with the game King Of Dragons. That resident evil style game Hunter: The Reckoning was pretty cool too for cooperative mode. Conker's Bad Fur Day is cool with cheats to unlock extra characters for multiplayer and that one heist level.

I'm sure there's more but I just can't think of any. Goodluck, hope you find some good stuff. Let us know what you end up finding or which ones you like.
>>
Lydia - Sat, 23 Mar 2019 07:46:53 EST riK3SU73 No.733883 Reply
1553341613387.jpg -(308990B / 301.75KB, 1200x871) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
There should be no need for online for single player. I don't play Path of Exile much because I share my internets with two others. Makes it annoying to die to a lag spike.

If the game has good netcode, fine. But I like having a single-player or offline option.
>>
Donkey Kong - Sun, 24 Mar 2019 19:32:28 EST qSiCLraI No.733969 Reply
1553470348754.jpg -(28713B / 28.04KB, 600x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
OP here, I forgot about this thread cause I'm dumb.

Honestly, all the suggestions on this thread just seem to me like they would be waaaay better to play alone, so maybe I'm just too anti social for online multiplayer. Seems like most game that pick up my interest anyway are just mainly single player games where they put online in it just because everything must have online nowadays, and it always feels like the multiplayer experience is...I don't know, doesn't feel like it adds anything. Like, I don't see the point on playing divinity 2 or grim dawn with someone else. Sport games and that space station 13 seems like a good idea though, even though ss13 seems a pain to get into.

I can think of some single player with multi that I have; streets of rogue, risk of rain, terraria, divinity 2, online doesnt seem to add much. Feels like playing chess against a bot but with a friend on your team so you two are controlling the same pieces on a game meant for one player and it just feels weird and wrong. I used to play a moba some time ago and I tried a little bit of counter strike, those were very cool to play online, I guess because the whole game was designed around multiplayer. Single player games that just get multiplayer shoved in there "just because" feels like sharing a sandwich with your holmie, its just wrong, you eat less and you have to be careful you both dont bite at the same piece at the same time cause then you would have to say "no homo" and not see each other for a couple of weeks.
>>
Grayson Hunt - Sun, 24 Mar 2019 19:50:20 EST HVlnnNcy No.733971 Reply
>>733969
On line multiplayer at its best is about the joy of a shared experience made possible only by another person. Sometimes because they play less than optimally or something because they do things an AI cannot and sometimes just because you have the company. It's not a sandwich, it's a day out to the zoo and you walked in on the hippo shit farting everywhere and that'd be funny if you were by yourself but if it was you and your homie you'd both be laughing and egging each other one and one of you would make a joke and the other would point out the hippo's expression, oh yeah you'd have missed that and days later you'd both be laughing about it in a way you wouldn't otherwise. The other person makes the experience. At every second enclosure they spot something or drag you somewhere else and you see something new and the rest of the time you're doing it for them.

Actually some of those games, especially divinity the other player is the hippo shit farting but I digress.

Do you actually have offline friends?

I mean as far as I'm concerned there's nothing better than good company and then having something fun to do with them.
>>
Haggar - Sun, 24 Mar 2019 20:02:32 EST qSiCLraI No.733973 Reply
>>733971
>Do you actually have offline friends?

Yeah fam, but I think some activities are better by ourselves and some things are better with others. Like watching movies, I never understood why people like to watch movies with others since you are just standing there watching a non interactive story. Don't think my holmies would make my fapping experience better for instance.

The few times I played cs:go was with a friend, having him around 100% made the experience a lot better. When I played moba I would find a friend there every now and then and playing with them on the same team made things a lot better too. But when I tried the mainly single player games with friends it just felt like a hassle, I can finish divinity 2/ terraria/ streets of rogue/ risk of rain 10 times faster by myself, guess what I'm saying is it feels like 2 people doing a 1 man job, like 2 bodybuilders moving a body pillow around and pretending it's some heavy furniture, though I guess there are some exceptions I have not found yet.
>>
>>
Brucie Kibbutz - Mon, 25 Mar 2019 02:12:34 EST t+p/jCic No.733986 Reply
1553494354524.png -(452881B / 442.27KB, 600x1004) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>733255
Was right about to mention this. I find most main stream online experiences to be dry exorcises in meta gaming. Like Reach firefight matchmaking, we all have unlimited ammo rocket launchers, lives are unlimited, it's a score attack for 25 minutes and a Cr payout, it is not fun.

The games that are fun are games like SS13. You aren't there to "win" you are there for the experience and the game play is fleshed out for an experience. It's in games where the players must cooperate on some level out of want rather than need or of demand by the game that you find the best multiplayer. Games like this are rare but you can hit most of the genres, Arma 3 has tight communities, sim racing typically has people trying to race clean and youll get a variety of sportsmanship, and of course SS13 can range from robust head trauma to 3 hour long sessions of space clue.
>>
Brucie Kibbutz - Mon, 25 Mar 2019 02:18:51 EST t+p/jCic No.733987 Reply
1553494731524.gif -(10330B / 10.09KB, 576x448) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>733971
I haven't had a tight gaming group since all my high school friends went on with life a long time ago. We all waited to play together for co-op games and played the whole story together. You'd think this would be easier today but the opposite is true now that we don't have to schedule a time to all be in the same room together. Today you get a random match up with some faggot who already knows what to do and walks you passed every thing at speed or drops the second you aren't being a maximum meta gamer.
>>
M'Aiq the Liar - Tue, 26 Mar 2019 19:27:39 EST HVlnnNcy No.734042 Reply
>>733987
It's definitely about the company. I've been playing DOS2 since last christmas and we've got to the final act and just hit 20 last night. We stopped playing for a few weeks because my life got a bit busier and his got insanely hectic and that happens pretty often, then we play several times in a fortnight. We have very similar senses of humour and so we're cracking jokes and laughing about the same stuff.

I've played every Halo couch co op and again it was all about joking and having a laugh while doing it.

With strangers it would be completely awful though. Left 4 Dead was a game I couldn't imagine playing without friends.

>>733973

I understand the analogy but it's sometimes 2 body builders lifting a body pillow around straining theatrically, giving it a dumb name and referring to Petronella by that name. Resting their drink on petronella while carrying it around. Finishing the drink, dropping Petronella and then having a pretend funeral for her and finishing the eulogy "what a shame" "Yeah, RIP" or whatever idea of goofing off you have. I mean maybe for divinity anyway. Halo co op is more like you have to move it from A to B so you take it in turns to hold it while the other person drinks from their beer or buys snacks as you haul it across town. Chatting shit the whole way, warning each other when one of you spots dogshit that sort of thing.

It's not really about playing the game I guess. It's about having something to facilitate good times with friends. If it's a good time it facilitates GREAT times. It's another activity like going to laser quest (the time I went with 9 friends and it was just 5 v 5 22-35 year old grown men charging around shooting each other with laser guns was a riot) or going to the pub, or going to that great pizza place, or going to a new city and finding the bars. An adventure that's really about the company (like the doom/stoner metal fest I went to in September which the bands were great but watching Rich get grumpy because he missed his girlfriend and the strip bars were closed "on a Sunday!"! was as good as seeing Elder).

If you look at it as
>how will people improve my games?
I guess you're right. I suppose I see it more as
>how will this game entertain the group of us?

I guess you see games as a movie and some absolutely are. There are games I'd only want to play alone. I think however some games can be played differently.
>>
Krystal - Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:51:17 EST a1Bkb6gl No.734058 Reply
1553694677064.jpg -(94763B / 92.54KB, 850x850) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Is it difficult to retrofit online to old multiplayer games?
>>
Sackboy - Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:28:25 EST a1Bkb6gl No.734115 Reply
1553758105721.jpg -(231465B / 226.04KB, 1818x1147) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>734059
Then Capcom cheaped out on 30th anniversary collection of Street Fighter..
>>
Ickybod Clay - Thu, 28 Mar 2019 16:54:40 EST Sba37UBv No.734166 Reply
>>734115
with street fighter particuly it looks like they have been cheaping out a lot.
>>
Riku - Fri, 29 Mar 2019 08:57:07 EST 6dwnW5Bo No.734258 Reply
1553864227798.jpg -(368751B / 360.11KB, 1796x2988) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
MK11 is an example of good netcode on a crappy game
Have a Cassie Cage
>>
Barret Wallace - Fri, 29 Mar 2019 20:30:17 EST Mz5DvYKJ No.734277 Reply
The problem is too many games, so anything within 6 months - a year tops will have its post release online community followed by a dead zone. Which is a damn shame too because so many looked really promising like Grey Goo, but there's simply so many games that people are too spread out to keep a stable community. What made games like CS and Starcraft so popular honestly was just that there weren't many alternatives, so literally everybody who played an online FPS or RTS was playing those two games.
>>
Rebecca Chambers - Fri, 29 Mar 2019 23:22:02 EST GSurz4Dn No.734285 Reply
>>733969
Makes a lot of sense to me. I've got AvPD and I greatly value a multiplayer game that gives you the ability to socialize but doesn't force it on you.

There are games that would definitely be better enjoyed in a single-player capacity but that can't be all games. Take Payday 2 for instance. It's an FPS focused on pulling off a variety of bank/tech robberies. You've got the option to either stealth each heist or go in guns blazing. Sadly when it comes to playing solo on higher difficulties the game's AI is fucking retarded. Doing a heist with no mic or chatting necessary is very plausible and happens all the time.
>>
Great Mighty Poo - Fri, 29 Mar 2019 23:40:56 EST oWlx09tS No.734288 Reply
>>734277
If a platform didn't have a lot of online games, it would allow for those that do exist to concentrate all those using it wanting to play it online. Maybe that could work with something from a while back that still had online capabilities, maybe Wii U?
>>
Vega - Thu, 25 Apr 2019 10:09:37 EST wzHlRjQK No.735682 Reply
>>733252

I have the same issue, wonder if it's because I'm not as social online anymore too. Love playing some Mario Kart 8 online on my switch though.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.