Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Cheapass gamers

- Mon, 13 May 2019 03:03:58 EST b42yZ7wv No.736838
File: 1557731038076.jpg -(70014B / 68.37KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Cheapass gamers
Anyone else?
I haven't bought a new full priced game in years. 60 bucks is and will always be ludicrous
Nothing tickles my anus more than finding a great game for $20 bucks or under.
Also helps that I'm patient and I don't play many online games so I don't have to worry about the community still being active
>>
April Ryan - Mon, 13 May 2019 07:23:02 EST 93voU8ra No.736842 Reply
>>736838
Same here. Though occasionally I will shell out $30, if I absolutely have to. Last game I did that for was Kenshi.

I think I paid full price for a game at some point, but honestly I can't remember which.
>>
Sly Boots - Mon, 13 May 2019 08:20:33 EST UcENjjuY No.736845 Reply
I'm a consumer whore and buy whatever I want. But I generally don't buy games when they're full price though, maybe once or twice per year.
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Mon, 13 May 2019 12:00:58 EST gNBJa0Vj No.736854 Reply
I've been doing this since like 1998. Just buy what ever was from the last gen for super fucking cheap and enjoy all the gems you know are good from the 3 or 4 years worth of reviews and youtube coverage and chan talk.

Back then I would go to the Book and Music exchange and buy a Snes or N64 game and some CD's then go home and play the good shit and take the bad shit back, building up my library with essentially free rentals. I remember trading in Kid Rocks first CD the one with his goofy ass flat top for 50 dollars worth of swag.
>>
Smiling Jack - Mon, 13 May 2019 13:25:08 EST iu14qoYO No.736860 Reply
1557768308614.jpg -(64285B / 62.78KB, 488x488) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
What really kills me is that there is a bunch of games I want to get for my switch but it seems that first party titles never go down in price. DK tropical freeze for instance is STILL $50+ and it's basically just a goddamn port of a game that came out in 2014. Bullshit, fuck you nintendo. Luckily I mainly use my switch for smaller games like dead cells, SMB, Celeste, etc which are usually in the 10-15 dollar range. My next purchase is probably going to be cuphead which is 20
>>
Yuri - Mon, 13 May 2019 16:27:39 EST I+d0TStq No.736870 Reply
>>736860
If you're a fan of Nuclear Throne, Blazing Beaks is a fuckin' blast and I got it for 7$ because I have a previous title of the publisher's.
>>
Gunther von Esling - Mon, 13 May 2019 16:45:24 EST TVkL0/J6 No.736874 Reply
1557780324841.png -(1909086B / 1.82MB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>736838
same here.
New games aren't as "new" anyway. Old concepts remade with shitty mechanics.
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Mon, 13 May 2019 21:13:24 EST gNBJa0Vj No.736895 Reply
>>736859
Nah not really. That shit isnt going anywhere. I didn't finish watching TNG until like 2017. Every episode was still new to me.
>>
Hugh Darrow - Mon, 13 May 2019 21:33:34 EST 8Gf56vEE No.736897 Reply
1557797614219.jpg -(24847B / 24.26KB, 294x367) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I sincerely apologize but I have to defend my honouere

>>736893
>>736896
??
If you don't think literally everyone is on the internet now and uses it in different ways that don't necessarily overlap in the year 2019, I can't help you. I honest to god don't know why you'd think that was some kind of statement of superiority or why acknowledging that fact would reflect poorly on me unless you're a crusty old virgin who spends all day lurking imageboards. Which, you know. Fair enough. No need to continue that argument here because I've been castrated and stallionized and am a pathetic worm who wants to be stepped on by a butch giantess, etc etc.

Also on topic I usually don't buy games that aren't on sale, but sometimes I do if it looks cool and people seem to be into it.
>>
Rock Howard - Mon, 13 May 2019 23:27:58 EST Mz5DvYKJ No.736898 Reply
>>736874
Not all of them and a lot of the shitty mechanics are 100% due to consolization although now it's becoming an even worse cancer which is phoneshit. Like the snap to a wall mechanic I can't fucking stand and both Deus Ex HR and Mass Effect 2 tried pulling it, plus Witcher had a problem they both did of no jumping and crouching. I still cannot understand why console shit won't let you jump. Is it something to do with the buttons? Fucking why can't I jump? Dead Space, same shit. And none of these were even terrible games except Mass Effect 2 which was pretty shitty, it's just how they were made for consoles.

Goddamn I fucking hate snap to the wall mechanics.

But I have bought certain select games at full price like XCOM2 although come to think that was awhile ago wasnt it? I'm finding "recent" is a lot longer ago the older you get. And the only reason I rarely pay full price is because lolsteam. Why should I pay an extra $10-40 than if I just waited a few months? I'd imagine this actually pizses a lot of sellers off because they don't want to get saddled with all the steam sales but then again I see lots of publishers/devs doing these sales on their own, which probably works for pushing up sales generally as a whole.
>>
Cyan - Tue, 14 May 2019 00:09:08 EST vrQiXcHX No.736900 Reply
1557806948566.jpg -(242772B / 237.08KB, 1280x719) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I generally pay full price for games at launch. There are a lot of games I buy on release day that I dont end up playing until later too. Game industry arguments aside, I like to show my support for something I love the day it comes out.

Especially companies like Xseed and Compile Heart. I feel like preordering or launch day purchases are a way I can say "yes, please keep bringing this to North America."
>>
Kazuma Kiryu - Tue, 14 May 2019 00:22:44 EST YEMY0fYF No.736901 Reply
>>736898
>Fucking why can't I jump?
Because your character is white.

But seriously, try jumping. People can't fucking jump, we can vault and we can try to span a gap but overall it's an action game contrivance. Most of the games that don't have jumping don't really suffer much for it.

Granted, in the Deus Ex universe in particular if you can get power arms you could definitely get power legs and jump substantially, so that's a bit of a point you've got.

>Dead Space
Jumping and horror games don't really mix. Jumping is too much freedom for most horror games.

>I'm finding "recent" is a lot longer ago the older you get.

Yeah, but it's also the slower advancement of computing power and the longer lifespan of consoles. Games just don't feel like they age as fast as they used to. Most don't really feel dated until a sequel comes out as a direct reference point.
Deus Ex is a huge example. Human Revolution has some absolutely wonky proportions they did away with in Mankind Divided and cutscenes that look like your cat vomited all over them, as if NO effort was made to color or lighting match them. Plus they looked bad in 2012, and atrocious as you turn the details up and play the game on 1440p. But for games that focus on in-engine cutscenes they really don't date like they used to.
>>
Rock Howard - Tue, 14 May 2019 01:08:19 EST Mz5DvYKJ No.736902 Reply
>>736901
When there's a power box or a root I should be able to step over in real life and suddenly becomes an impenetrable wall I have to walk around yeah it's a problem. There's fucking no reason for it. In PC games I can at least try to climb a hill with that button similarly to IRL. It's entirely on a 2D plane which makes no damn sense.

As for age it wasnt a vidya reference. I mean it's hard to remember 2016 was 3 solid years ago. At least that's
Fuck. No XCOM2 came out in 2015 didn't it? See time speeds up once you get older. You stop counting years and start counting decades. Your body has fully congealed by late 20s which is also around when you notice not being able to smoke and drink like you used to. I mean time just feels different.
>>
Tron Bonne - Tue, 14 May 2019 01:24:58 EST CMAOPcJv No.736904 Reply
>>736902
>When there's a power box or a root I should be able to step over in real life and suddenly becomes an impenetrable wall I have to walk around
i like when they overcome that by just having the leg skeleton bits loose and the feet latch onto things so your character looks like an octopus 'walking' over stuff on the seabed.

it's not realistic but it's entertaining to watch. also gives you fun moments where the mechanics can't decide where to put the legs and part of the model just goes bananas whenever you stop halfway on a difference in elevation like a stair.
>>
Lord of Shadowgate - Tue, 14 May 2019 02:46:01 EST qs2N6RcG No.736906 Reply
>>736901
>Jumping and horror games don't really mix.
Dying Light would like a quick word with you
>>
Sarah Kerrigan - Tue, 14 May 2019 11:50:09 EST FL0qkv/Z No.736917 Reply
>>736906
It depends on the horror game really. Dying light makes sense since it's much more action focused and has fast pacing (and really only feels like a horror game at night, and for maybe a third of the game imo)
Jumping in something like Silent Hill by comparison would be really awkward and weird

To get back to the guy who originally brought it up's point, I don't think it really ever had much to do with console limitations and in this day and age it definitely doesn't and is just a stylistic choice (or a choice out of laziness for some devs I guess)
>>
Cammy - Wed, 15 May 2019 00:13:23 EST Mz5DvYKJ No.736955 Reply
>>736917
Or also Outlast, even though it is generally all scripted. But I'm not talking about horror games. Well actually even horror yeah now that I think about it, because you aren't fucking going to walk all the way around a counter to get away from terrifying monsters. Fighting the one regenerating necromorph in the medical lab in Dead Space 1 was pretty fucking terrible partly for that reason, to such an extent I actually walked away from the game for a solid year or two before bothering to force myself and finish it. The whole thing was so fucking frustrating I spent the time being annoyed and distracted by game mechanics, and THAT is the absolute worst fuckin thing you can possibly do in a horror game. There is absolutely nothing that ruins horror games like forcing the player to become super conscious about tedious mechanics and break the immersion and Dead Space 1 actively did that at times.

But I'm not just talking about those. And it doesn't need to be unrealistic Jedi Academy feeling jumps just like it doesnt have to be that really old school inorganic feel to how you're walking, which just about every single modern game manages to avoid. There is seriously no good reason except the devs are too fucking lazy to deal with the playtesting and level building for an area rather than just having a few scripted scenes and predictable gameplay where there's only a few locations the player can ever possibly be. It is super noticeable in Witcher especially the first one where you sometimes have to walk all the fucking way around a map because there's some tree branch that even a child can step over, but then again the series in general suffers from this where you're supposed to be walled off from an area that sometimes doesnt even have a visual cue, which is just plain laziness and bad level design. Like I can even understand a tiny studio not wanting to fuck around with it but with something like EA in particular I can only imagine it's them being greedy tight ass control freak lazy fucking pricks for not allowing a player to hop. You should never, ever run into invisible walls in a modern game but Witcher does this. Mass Effect does this. Deus Ex HR does this sometimes iirc although at least in that game you can jump from heights (I forgot if you can't without the aug).

Anything that forces the player to remember that they're playing a game is a failure of design. Being constrained to a solidly 2D plane is one of the worst examples of this alongside invisible walls and janky ass broken af controls. It fails because it utterly obliterates immersion and the 4th wall and that happens when you see like I said some tree branch or a shoebox on the ground, and have to walk your ass all the way around the map because of it. It fails because this is one of the most naturally occurring things to a human, which is to simply walk over or at worst hop over an object in your path. It works that way especially because we have stairs which us by default a 3D hopping/stepping motion. By game logic a staircase would be an ascending series of utterly impenetrable walls. And you see a prize of some kind on a top shelf? Fucking forget about ever stepping on a chair. It is utterly inorganic and unnatural which to me isn't even forgivable because there's no fucking reason for it that I can even think of. We had hopping on/over shit as a game mechanic since at least the 90s. If you try playing a game like Jedi Outcast you'll immediately wonder why exactly modern devs are either legitimately mentally disabled or unspeakably lazy. The even more hilarious thing is because the old games themselves train yiy to think this way so whenever my Q and E key doesnt work something feels pretty fucking wrong. I'm not asking to leap high in the air. I'm asking to step on/over shit.
>>
Ulfric Stormcloak - Wed, 15 May 2019 00:26:47 EST 6bGQuYjo No.736956 Reply
>Thrifty gaming thread
>No faglord butting in with "hurr durr I haven't paid for anything since I just pirate everything" in an attempt to one-up everyone in the thread

Well, maybe there's hope for /vg/ after all
>>
Cammy - Wed, 15 May 2019 02:14:43 EST Mz5DvYKJ No.736960 Reply
>>736956
I actually buy just about every game. Except for EA. I pirate theirs just on general principle. Well, except a few I didn't know were EA until after I bought them. I feel sorry about that.
>>
Aribeth - Wed, 15 May 2019 14:25:52 EST aJpCuoa1 No.736979 Reply
1557944752040.jpg -(87066B / 85.03KB, 640x539) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I saw Steamworld Dig on nintendos eshop yesterday for 70% off which made it about 3 dollars. Even better I bought it with the points I had saved up so it was basically free. I live for shit like this
>>
infectious - Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:42:25 EST 2HpQicD7 No.739791 Reply
Ooh me, me, me. I haven't bought a full price game in years. There's always a sale going on somewhere and you can even get modern AAA games for half off sometimes. I got my Kingdom Hearts 3 for $30 and could have bought Spiderman for another $35 if I wanted and together they would have cost like $5 over the list price of KH3. Spiderman was being listed for $40 at that time on Gamestop.
>>
Dregs - Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:50:53 EST qrPHyWe8 No.739792 Reply
>>736898
You can't jump in dead space because your feet are magnetized to the floor most of the game. The parts where you're not magnetized to a floor, you're in a straight jacket or a heavy space suit or you actually can jump because it's a zero gravity sequence.
>>
Sander Cohen - Thu, 04 Jul 2019 11:08:02 EST Qf2drrUa No.739793 Reply
I used to buy games in bulk during sales, but I've realized that as my library fills up I only end up playing a very small number of them. So what sense does it make to have a library I've put thousands of bucks into when I'm only interested in a fraction of it?

I've learned to stop seeing full priced games wasted money or "I could buy 3 games with this money".
Nowadays I'd rather play one game I'm excited about instead of juggling 3 games I'm only interested in because I got them cheap. Life's too short and money is meaningless.
>>
Goemon - Thu, 04 Jul 2019 13:05:25 EST +EkvKYMb No.739798 Reply
>>739791
Sony had a sale during E3 where Spider-Man was only 20 bucks you should have jumped on that
>>
infectious - Thu, 04 Jul 2019 17:12:53 EST 2HpQicD7 No.739813 Reply
>>736956
Yeah like piracy is one thing, but doesn't make it better than saving money on deals. Pirate it if you want to try it or if you think you want to play it for a bit or whatever, but just don't care about supporting the developers. I honestly think that if you like a game you should pay for it if you want updates or future titles, but if you play a game and delete it then well whatever. I mean not all of us are made of money. But if you really liked the game and think you will play it again then support them. And fuck micro transactions and excessive pricey DLC.
>>
Kolyat Krios - Sun, 07 Jul 2019 17:43:00 EST 85DD63oq No.739953 Reply
1562535780773.jpg -(211593B / 206.63KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I bought Robonauts yesterday for 19 cents. CENTS. I even used some gold points so it was literally free. I played the demo before and while it didn't seem like a bad game it didn't seem worth it for the price it was previously at so I passed it up, but for 19 fucking cents I'll pretty much buy anything
Oddly enough this is the second best selling game in the best seller section of the eshop, probably because it's always on sale
>>
Quistis Trepe - Sun, 07 Jul 2019 20:54:58 EST Ful2TtPt No.739956 Reply
>>739953
The eShop seems to be littered with shitty flash games being sold for pennies. Makes it hard to find anything that's actually worth playing. During the E3 sale the number one game was still like some garbage asset flip about gnomes. I'm almost postive its just a way for devs to scam their way to visibility so people check out the rest of their catalog.
>>
Pitfall Harry - Sun, 07 Jul 2019 22:28:34 EST 85DD63oq No.739957 Reply
>>739956
I remember that one, it was an endless runner and probably wouldn't have topped the charts if it wasn't free because boy it was absolute trash
There is some really good stuff on there for cheap if you wade through the garbage though, I check the deals section every day to see if anything on my wish list is on sale
>>
Kos-Mos - Mon, 08 Jul 2019 16:59:54 EST RlZo9M9S No.740006 Reply
1562619594388.jpg -(39874B / 38.94KB, 568x658) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>736838
Am cheapass. Never payed for WoW because 20$ a month, only used trials to play. European buddy sent me a message one night saying he has a gamer emergency and links me a private server for vanilla WoW.

Now whenever I get pissed off at something in game I tell myself "atleast I didn't pay for this absolutely shitty experience" when running from graveyard back to leh corpse on other side of the world or whatever stupid meta it may be.

Everyone hyped for Vanilla WoW for some reason and i'm that asshole who's going to keep playing for free on private servers with high population and good PvP so....
Fuck your bullshit Blizzard, not getting my money.
>>
James Sunderland - Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:07:48 EST Qz75u/vH No.740011 Reply
>>740006
a good amount of the servers are gonna shut down when vanilla comes out so you better get in whatever fun you're getting before it ends
>>
Dregs - Mon, 08 Jul 2019 22:40:32 EST qrPHyWe8 No.740025 Reply
>>740006
I liked wow. On 10x xp and loot drops, with 100x honor awards. With a teleportation nexus that brings you where you want for free.

So basically I didn't like Wow at all. I just liked the MMO it could have been if they didn't make everything a needless grind.

I bought the game when it first came out the let the subscription lapse and went to free servers after that. Glad I didn't get sucked into the BS of vanilla WoW.
>>
Yorda - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:54:09 EST Z3rp+Sl/ No.740075 Reply
1562759649660.jpg -(54643B / 53.36KB, 1280x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>736838 >>736842
>>736854 >>736860
>>736874 >>740006
I got all you punks completely beat.

I went out a while back to acquire an extra computer through this sort of work-deal. I was to get a 1ghz+ machine, which was to be a P4 class machine or Athlon equivalent. So I was safely expecting an Athlon XP. But I didn't really want to use it for gaming, I wanted to designate the strongest system I could acquire just a spare machine, and designate something weaker as a gaming system to load with stuff I've overlooked before. So, for this purpose, I was hoping for a coppermine based system, a level that was deemed just plain too shitty to be useful for anything, but also too new to be smelted down for serious amounts of gold like a 486 or many pentiums. But maybe confused here, I possibly was just doing the whole cheapness thing wrong, I mean, there were questions as to what I needed such a whole damn arsenal of computers anyway when the common man humbly makes do with just one.

Oh yeah, and besides that, I was looking at scooping up this Pentium E mini-ITX system there, which I was actually expecting to pay for. It was an IBM at least, but still, that's a fucking current leaking Prescot chip crammed into a box suitable for a VIA C7 or Atom CPU, and then if you factor in a video card, that's a noise and thermal management nightmare ... now, putting up with *that* would be serious, serious cheapness.

Well, I didn't get it, but only because I didn't think I had a sensible way of taking it home. I would have *tried* to do something else with that thing, but I doubt I could have even underclocked it, and it had a pin-filled reverse-socket, the type that transfers the risk of damaging the CPU to the motherboard, and with that I couldn't swap in a Northwood P4 or a VIA C7. Yeah, I probably would have tried loading up as many games as possible on a VIA CPU box if I could have, but all I came across was one apparently broken C3. Hell, I came across an AMD Geode, err, wait, probably an even older National Semiconductor Geode based thin client, I was itching to install Freedos onto that kind of ultramini-machine. It did seem like an especially underequiped, poorly suited machine for such a purpose though.

But yeah, I got pretty hardcore with the cheepness. I wanted to put in more hours to have something for my resume, and they were saying "fuck you" to that, although not entirely blatantly, they were expecting to put me on *their* resume, but things didn't work out for them too, things managed to not work out for them over and over and over, there was a history of the lives of people involved with them going thoroughly to shit. But I didn't let them make a PR creature out of me either, that does qualify as ardent cheapness, doesn't it?

So, anyway, proceeding with the focal point, they had these like 900 or 1000 mhz machines which they deemed not useable that had completely pristine cases, and they were full ATX sized desktop cases, so really quite unusual by that time, I figured they'd have been quite acceptable for living room use, although today people would surely disagree. The #1 issue with them was the complete lack of an exhaust fan, so that probably would have implied some dremel work, ooooh, and guess what??? I'm too cheap for a dremel too, I just use tin snips! I don't even remember if it had room for a 92mm fan, to at least have that one advantage over a basic case with an 8cm slot.

They were also against selling cases, to avoid having "the wrong kind of people" crawl in there.

"Wrong kind people" obviously implies those that would effectively resist ending up spending loads and loads of time being involved there, way, way more than one machine was supposed to cost.

It also would have been neat to scoop up a number of such sub-ghz machines, hook them up into a LAN. But that wasn't really on my mind.

On a bigger level, it was a completely bizarre event, cause they had a small fuckton of computer hardware that was really only desirable for gaming purposses, which would have happened to have been a horrendously awkward thing to point out or bring up.

SVU:"Stocks & Bondage" pic quite related, there was a lot of "Human Ashtray" type people involved with that place, and they in fact mentioned needing to take a proactive stand against risking any association with people with hobbies of such a sort.
>>
Cheetahmen - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 18:25:12 EST irlMPp4B No.740099 Reply
>>740075
Yea tldr.
What makes you think people are gonna read your wall of garbage?
>>
Smiling Jack - Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:20:57 EST gHtEwB2u No.740101 Reply
>>740099
What makes you think I didnt read it? Cause I did. Almost all of it.
>>
K. K. Slider - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 04:55:02 EST Z3rp+Sl/ No.740120 Reply
>>740093
>>740099
Awww, wonderful for you, maybe you need a pat on the head for your difficulty in handling seeing some else able to get way more elaborate at being cheap at game-acquisition than you?

Various possible reasons for why it could be worth reading:

-it deals with hardware
-it relates to issues crossing over between gaming and other computer issues
-it touches on concerns of gaming discretely
-it touches on gaming hardware durability issues
>>
Wolf O'Donnell - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 05:29:06 EST 6P0Z5Xue No.740121 Reply
1562837346435.gif -(159986B / 156.24KB, 500x282) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>740120
You're trying to be cool but you sound like a dick?... Not sure what you're going for but you sure don't portray yourself well enough to captivate our fullest interest. Here, you earn a cookie as a reward from typing for reactions, now run along and have fun!

Shmonk moar weedles
>>
K. K. Slider - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:54:54 EST Z3rp+Sl/ No.740126 Reply
>>740121
That's cute, you need anything to be in some rubrik of hero ideology to not be offended by its presence? That's a silly point for you to attempt, I already approached that issue.

>>I didn't let them make a PR creature out of me either

I was not eager to be "portrayed well" and be used "to captivate" and to seize people's "fullest interest".

I doubt I could be enough of a dick either,the place had a seriously detailed anti-dickness code and nobody attempted to invoke it against me.

So, what is your issue? You expected this thread to be full of easy to pick out information about games which are captivatingly cool and devoid of dicks and would be $60 but are possible to dig out for $20?
>>
Alyssa Hamilton - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 07:49:08 EST Dhgxx5dj No.740128 Reply
>>740126
Youre the real cute one. When are you gonna show us that big ass dick?
>>
Wolf O'Donnell - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 08:11:25 EST 6P0Z5Xue No.740129 Reply
1562847085435.png -(755057B / 737.36KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>740126
To be honest at this point I'm just skimming over what you read and detect all kinds of emotions that I'd love to soothe with a drizzle of hot candle wax on and ram out of you with a dildis.

Your effort to respond and capacity to exude some form of care entices us, is your body ready? We're ready.

Show that D
>>
Nights - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 19:48:56 EST XlKsZNvJ No.740146 Reply
>download torrent client
>every single game for $0

problem?
>>
Navi - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 20:51:45 EST XIVU9ZWq No.740149 Reply
>>740146
The golden rule is to purchase a game you torrented if you really like it
>>
Alec Mason - Thu, 11 Jul 2019 23:32:37 EST MyIZdrX8 No.740157 Reply
>>740149

This. Pirate everything to try it/play occasionally, pay for games you intend to play frequently for a duration of time.
>>
Dregs - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 14:19:51 EST qrPHyWe8 No.740180 Reply
>>740157
Indeed. Support your likes or they will cease to exist. Tried Saelig the other day. Even though it's pretty good, I don't think I'll buy it yet. Unfortunately, The Guild 2 is still better. But if it ever meets the standard of gameplay that the guild 2 had, I'd buy in an instant. Seems the dev is just working on the politics stuff now, and maybe we'll see some more useful items and a combat system in the future.
>>
ToeJam & Earl - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 14:53:00 EST qqJaVydR No.740181 Reply
1562957580170.jpg -(634797B / 619.92KB, 1302x1301) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>736838

A walmart nearby was recently instructed to mark down any game that didn't have a brand new release spot on the display to $5 USD.

My friend ended up getting me the PS4 version of Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr for my birthday which contains the base games and all previous expansions. Five dollars!
>>
Pitfall Harry - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:05:31 EST IcB310ea No.740186 Reply
Heck no. All the unfun bullshit I have to pay for, I'm at least treating myself to new hardware and games. You can get so much bang from your buck with gaming these days so I get it. I just really enjoy playing games on release day, especially multiplayer stuff. I find it's a unique experience when literally everyone is a noob, learning the game for the first time.

Shit I remember when something like Altered beast, a shitty side scroller, was like 50 dollars. And you barely had any access to reviews. Now you can just pop into a live stream and ask some nerd questions about any game, let alone all the reviews.
>>
Cyan - Sat, 13 Jul 2019 19:51:30 EST vrQiXcHX No.740229 Reply
>>740226
The hate ESO gets is baffling to me. I have it on XBO and PS4 with most of the expansions and loved it to death. If you get social and make some good friends it's as exciting as any MMO can be.

I really like wandering around and relaxing in it too. Theres so much to explore and little quests are everywhere. All I can imagine is people wanted skyrim again. And those same people bitch every time skyrim releases.
>>
Quistis Trepe - Sat, 13 Jul 2019 20:41:48 EST 18SHMmrm No.740232 Reply
1563064908889.jpg -(612205B / 597.86KB, 2191x1904) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>740229
Never tried ESO after hearing about some weird features, PvP server crashing, and some problems with armor upgrades and aesthetic appeal. I know that if you get the imperial pack you start with a horse, but I haven't heard if there's any other microtransactions or pay-to-win content.

Here is a slew of questions I have.... In your opinion based on experience how is the combat system in ESO compared to Skyrim? Is it something you can truly train in any skill or with any weapon or is it just a class locked skill system? If the classes are all locked to their own set of constraints is there enough appeal in the leveling or grind system to persist in completing tasks on an agenda? Just curious.

>TL;DR is ESO worth it compared to other Elder Scrolls games?
>>
Cyan - Sat, 13 Jul 2019 21:49:45 EST vrQiXcHX No.740234 Reply
>>740232
A lot of the paid content is expansions, more quests, and aesthetic things like clothes and pets. It's not entirely pay to win up front, but with items like experience scrolls someone paying is going to get a character with desirable stats easier. You'd still have to know how to do your build right, and it's entirely possible to grind a character up through normal play.

That said, the PVE and PVP is a fraction of what the game has to offer, and the story content scales to your level, so you'd be stupidly burning money on exp scrolls if Cyrodiil wasnt your end goal and you know, you just wanted to enjoy the game.

The combat is nothing like Skyrim. If I had to compare it to another ES game I played, it would remind me more of morrowind in that you and the enemy kind of stand there exchanging blows and he with the best stats wins. You cant beat many stronger enemies by being clever. You either have the stats or you dont. That's where making friends is useful and encouraged, because if theres something you want to do that's more difficult a team makes it easier.

It doesnt feel at all like Skyrim in the progress either. You can equip any weapon, and most skills are available regardless of your class. But there is a set of skills for each class that can only be used by that class.

So really, grinding is pointless aside from having a more useful arsenal and PVP. I wouldn't even say the game is very challenging as far as NPC quests and story go.

If you want another Elder Scrolls game that works like Elder Scrolls, this isn't it. If you want a giant map of Tamriel to explore full of lore, history, and other players to interact with, give it a go. The mechanics will feel limited compared to main ES games. The world will feel bigger.

As mentioned, you can pick up a used copy for $5, at that price I cant see why anyone who's curious wouldn't give the main quest a shot and see if they like it.
>>
honk - Sat, 13 Jul 2019 22:20:14 EST hRfsG87y No.740235 Reply
>>740232
I think comparing it to Skyrim is unfair, I don't even think they're in the same engine. It's just a really solid MMO in the Elder Scrolls setting with Elder Scrolls lore. I had a blast with it with a couple of friends over a couple of years and at some point it just stopped being fun, so I quit, but it was a really fun game for a while. Really big world to explore, it actually feels lively compared to modern day WoW and you see people running around and doing their thing all the time, there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore and I haven't had any technical issues with it.

I also didn't put in any additional money into it other than the initial $10-15 buy in and then whatever I paid for Morrowind when that came out. There is a non mandatory sub and you do get some QOL things, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on any of the game without the sub.

If it looks at all interesting, give it a go, but if you are too used to another MMO or just don't like that type of game in general then it's probably not for you.

>>740234
I agree with pretty much everything that you've just said except for maybe
>it would remind me more of morrowind in that you and the enemy kind of stand there exchanging blows and he with the best stats wins

You can definitely play it like that, but I found it much more action-y than WoW for example. You can dodge roll, kick your opponent around, stun them, hail a rain of arrows on them, shit like that. I don't think it's nearly as boring and simple as you've described it.
>>
Trainer Blue - Tue, 16 Jul 2019 07:00:42 EST Z3rp+Sl/ No.740330 Reply
>>740146
Well ... yeah, problebs are kinda an inevitability ... the kind of problems that I've come across and have been griping about would presumably be the class of problems you'd be having.
>>740128
>>740129
So... I really snagged your attention with the reference to the "Stocks & Bondage" "Human Ashtray", and you're pretty disappointed and craving more along those lines?

Well, no surprise, that kind of stuff is obviously right up your alley, you must be constantly impressing all those around with your huge bold ability to proudly care about nothings.
>>
Naija - Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:44:54 EST Y/UytUdG No.740340 Reply
>>740235
Yeah back when I played ESO (when it came out) it was a pretty decent MMO game. It's certainly not like most of the other Elder Scrolls games however, so don't go in with that expectation and just have a good time.
>>
Bloodmongo McFerguson - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 06:05:06 EST +ibqzY1D No.741547 Reply
1565690706024.gif -(47469B / 46.36KB, 183x229) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I still play old games like KOF roms.
>>
K. K. Slider - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 21:10:27 EST oQKhLI8b No.741561 Reply
>>740075
I gamed on low end systems and last gens hardware for ages but I was poor as fuck for ages. Can actually relate to it
Like the detail about it cause I basically lived off emulation for forever comically its even more viable now
Lowend gaming is actually a wonder to behold nowadays with all the old games ready to go
>>
Trainer Red - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 00:59:14 EST RJ+z6ASz No.741564 Reply
>>740634
I read it and regret it, the dude wasn't even building to a point just rambling out his train of thoughts with details that mean nothing to us and none of the details we'd need to understand what the fuck he's actually trying to talk about

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.