Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

PT and Death Stranding: Why it’s probably actually a thing

- Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:59:12 EST /mkZn/ss No.740083
File: 1562770752241.jpg -(328212B / 320.52KB, 1200x500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. PT and Death Stranding: Why it’s probably actually a thing
I know there’s a ton of wacky conspiracies surrounding Death Stranding having some huge elaborate tie in with Metal Gear and Silent Hill amid the whole PT getting deleted from the PS4 store thing but for real, hear me out on this one:

Recently Kojima shared a series of images from DS of Sam sitting down with a button prompt to “Sleep”. Knowing Kojima and his team’s style he tends to like to squeeze in some interactivity at odd moments here and there, and I think this is where PT will become a thing within DS. Looking back on MGS3, you have an entire portion of another game, Guy Savage, that’s totally playable during Snake’s dream sequence upon being locked up, and he even references it outside the dream as well. That game was canceled/unfinished, so that’s all that remains of it. However! This isn’t saying that PT is a Silent Hill game...in fact far from it. People have made the point that PT was literally just a “playable teaser” for another game with a Silent Hills title card tacked on at the end. I think this is increasingly possible given the fact that Kojima put “Moby Dick Studio” on there and obviously one of the first things you notice in the reveal trailer for DS is all the beached whales. It’s easy to draw parallels between the radio in PT talking about alternate dimensions and beings and what’s been seen in DS, especially since basically nothing about the PT involved contact with aliens or anything really sci-fi, with the exception of Lisa and the talking paper bag. But what’s most important is the line about not believing what the media tells you (in regards to this whole thing not being legitimate or possible).

Ultimately I just want to see this story-within-a-story kind of thing in games more, but especially with this scenario. There’s already a first person mode, Kojima seems to still retweet stuff by Junji Ito, and as stated, he did this before, albeit with a way lesser known game/playable teaser. I sincerely don’t think Kojima is stupid enough to call it a playable teaser and then not follo it up with a mind bending way of implementing it in what it was actually teasing. 204863 and all that jazz will probably make a lot more sense in due time. Oh yeah, and babies and missing eyes and all that.
>>
Better Friend - Mon, 22 Jul 2019 23:35:59 EST pQhPl845 No.740624 Reply
>>740083

Having read your post I want to take the opportunity to say that to my understanding that Hideo Kojima's theories try to find deeper meanings in things with not so deeper meanings.

I think he's taking advantage that many people (well, it's pop culture) are not properly educated and well-read. When people, if I'm not mistaken, try to explain some of his games they took one element from game A, to B and they crown him as the king of kings of the narrative.

An example: whales in MGS V, beached whales in Death Stranding... Moby Dick Studio.

I think, that doesn't tell me a story. Having found things in common just add the pretension of creating a big leit motif that doesn't go anywhere... If I remember correctly films like Jin-Roh: the wolf brigade, Gattaca... does a correct use of symbolism without overanalyzing every little coincidence like "Kojima...worked in Konami... KOjima... KOnami...!!!!, "Snake meets Eva... garden of Eden... the bible!!!", "solid, liquid... and then gas!!!!"

It doesn't go anywhere to find those things without a cohesive story. I think it would be more properly if It really would play meaningful role in the story.
>>
Mog - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 03:33:20 EST dWUYkb40 No.740627 Reply
1563867200421.jpg -(35153B / 34.33KB, 333x499) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>740624
Most of the time, youre right, if a bit patronising, but sometimes its people unencumbered with education that can see truth easier.
Especially when it comes to hidden truth. Educated professor might have a harder time reaching beyond his own vast knowledge, simply because experience clearly showed him that its unlikely that he of all people could be duped, which makes it easy to fall back on your self esteem and ignore information or not bother to speculate.
Unlikely, but not impossible.
>>
Better Friend - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 05:29:54 EST pQhPl845 No.740630 Reply
>>740627

It wasn't my intention to be patronising. Believe me. I only wanted to create the discussion of theories related to Kojima's videogames.

I'm not pretending to be a professor or intellectual or having a Hollier than thou attitude nor I want it to.

Also I wouldn't be so bold as you, especially, about the insinuation about someone like me wouldn't want to be duped or not to speculate.

Sorry, but you're give me reasons to insinuate whatever comes to my mind about yourself. If you're so care-free about what I am, I can apply the same euphemisms to you. So, refrain yourself about on taking this on the personal level. I don't like it.

Do you want to know who's really patronizing? Kojima. Let's look at some interactions that break the 4th wall

• In MGS 3 you have to retrieve your backpack as if you were an elementary schooler, and then your mentor lectures you DURING A MISSION about duty, how to perform, about your nation. When Snake, an adult, should have known this before going to the battlefield.
  • In Metal Gear Solid 3 The Boss tells Snakes that he cannot go around full guns blazing and making sounds "like an idiot" she says. She says to her student who trained him, not so random rookie.
  • In Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain he goes to far as to says overstament as "Remember, you're the boss, That's your decision". The game tells you something like "go take a shower. It will revitalize your body and mind".

All of this and more are giving you (the player) education with a giant spoon.

My take on the symbolism and speculation in his games are that are not congruent with the core of the story. And anybody can speculate anything connecting dots. And it is his fandom that mainly do this. Let's take that the MGS 3 was a VR Simulation... sure, interesting but are good foundations for it? Or is it wishful thinking? I'll go with the later. The game has no consistent theme to support that. It sounded cool and intriguing but that's it.
>>
Better Friend - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 05:40:18 EST pQhPl845 No.740631 Reply
1563874818243.jpg -(87629B / 85.58KB, 960x544) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>740627

You know, while I' m writing this I will invent some speculation for you regarding MGS 3. And this will show you that many speculations are created out of thin air.

Also: Speculation is not knowledge.

Remember those little frogs who are all over the game? Well, that's a way of raising awareness about nature. Also, because are little frogs and cute, Kojima says that we must pay attention to the little things in life and we would be rewarded for doing so. This connects to MGS V, in which you save animals. In MGS V you're a doctor therefore saving has a deeper significance. Those little frogs where just the prologue for a more humanitarian message.

See? I just created a big asspull, just for you.

I have friends that thinks when Kojima's characters says really spoon-feeding stuff that he's the ultimate authority in wisdom related to war and human condition when he just spout whatever comes to his mind.

>>>>>> but sometimes its people unencumbered with education that can see truth easier.

I doesn't seem to me. To be honest, that sound populist and without foundation and with no relevance to my points.
>>
Mog - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 05:42:17 EST dWUYkb40 No.740632 Reply
>>740630
Interpretations of MGS aside, I wasnt talking about you, just in general, so chill dude and dont take things so personally, cause in general thats another factor stifling open minded debate. Now back to whatever this thread is about.
>>
Mog - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 05:47:01 EST dWUYkb40 No.740633 Reply
>>740631
Sometimes is the key word. Wisdom comes from navigating such nuances that veer from the norm, just as knowledge often comes from speculation.
>>
Sheogorath - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 09:53:06 EST 66vg1mk2 No.740635 Reply
Are people really that excited for Death Stranding? It looks like the video game equivalent of stuffing a movie full of recognizable and popular actors to cover up how shit everything else is.
>>
Adoring Fan - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 10:13:52 EST FnQhUnkm No.740636 Reply
1563891232704.jpg -(140665B / 137.37KB, 1024x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I'm not a huge fan of esoteric "figure it out yourself" things/David Lynch-esque. It seems they have fragmented particulates of story that people have to grasp at straws to pretend it connects or that it's a masterpiece when it's just some lame intentionally confusing half made story made by some guy with eccentric hair.
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:24:27 EST hi2hFY86 No.740639 Reply
>>740636
I think subtext is almost always better than plain text.
S good story is fine, a confusing story with enough subtext to get me thinking about the story for months on end is way better.
Just look at the shit in Morrowind, endless debates and philosophical thought has been given to a game
>>
deBlob - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 12:12:34 EST AL25j+4c No.740640 Reply
>>740639
People aren't really talking about "What happened in Morrowind's plot." Though. Its not deeply complicated. What people talk about is the world (and the larger elder scrolls world on top of that)
>>
Isaac - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 13:00:50 EST Gbx4cP4S No.740641 Reply
>>740639
Yeah but like. Morrowind had two previous games worth of lore and dozens of books packed with it. This thing is just a whole bunch of nonsense straight from the developer's mouth that intentionally doesn't connect logically to 'make people think' but at the end of the day... it's still a video game.
>>
Gray Fox - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 15:15:12 EST 0/PhFrHh No.740645 Reply
PT was literally a demo for a new Silent Hill game, an IP Konami owns that Kojima cannot use. Death Stranding has no ties to Silent Hill.

A better theory is that Death Stranding takes place in the same universe as the Metal Gear games since Kojima can get around copyright law by doing that and just not mentioning the Konami-owned trademarks by name.
>>
Mother Brain - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 22:43:43 EST LXPu4R9e No.740657 Reply
1563936223723.jpg -(106777B / 104.27KB, 640x413) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>740645

Maybe you should take a closer look at this image then. Kojima even said he wants there to be a lesser focus on violence in DS just like he’s saying for PT in this quote. A new metal gear game would make even less sense if I’m totally honoring what your theory is.

>>740635

I mean yeah, I’m excited for it. What makes you think it’s so shit without even having played it? Obviously I can’t say it’s amazing but I have pretty good faith in Kojima’s ability to make a good fucking game since that’s basically what he’s done like...his entire life, more or less. This argument about having famous people in it is as tired as the whole “walking simulator” reaction. Some of y’all seriously have baby brains as far as criticism goes, pretty unbelievable.

I’m not even a Kojima dicksucker, I was deeeeefinitely pissed at their being no final chapter to MGSV and thought the ending in general was a kind of tired way to mend all the lore together. But this thread isn’t about Metal Gear, it’s about Death Stranding, so for the love of god can we just stay on topic for once? Lmfao
>>
>>
Dregs - Tue, 23 Jul 2019 22:46:00 EST vvta9jFf No.740658 Reply
>>740656
What's so hard to understand? An emporer became a god through magic and turned the continent into a temperate forest.
>>
Better Friend - Wed, 24 Jul 2019 08:40:17 EST pQhPl845 No.740666 Reply
>>740632
>>740633

I don't really agree with you. You call me patronising and told me not to take things personally... Dude...like... I can't believe you. You even didn't adress any of my specific points about Kojima's related theories at all.

>>>>Now back to whatever this thread is about.

I was the one who wrote in EVERY REPLY about Kojima theories and games. You derailed it with your "people unencumbered by education", speculation and wisdom.

So you're the one bring it order now? Do you think you're some kind of authority or something? I won't be obedient to a random stranger on the internet. You're dreaming.
>>
Anakaris - Wed, 24 Jul 2019 13:38:00 EST +vgAkI/p No.740681 Reply
>>740666
Its ok, you dont have to agree, we can have a nice conversation or shit flinging battle about it, or not. In the end we're just people in our rooms. Chill my dude.
Dont have much else to add to the thread cause I only played MGS and a few hours of MGS V, so my understanding is limited. I'll be lurking about though.
>>
Capt. Bannon - Wed, 24 Jul 2019 15:11:00 EST A0EiJyuw No.740685 Reply
>>740666
lmfao you dun goofed up yer brain son

no one was taking shit that seriously except you and now ya looks like a fool
>>
Vergil - Wed, 24 Jul 2019 18:36:31 EST 0z+RVgZ0 No.740690 Reply
>>740658
The Warp in the West was a whole lot more. Seven endings of Daggerfall all became reality, hierarchically sorted by importance.
>>
Better Friend - Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:13:35 EST pQhPl845 No.740779 Reply
>>740685

>>>no one was taking shit that seriously except you and now ya looks like a fool

Don't insult me, man. I take it as I want.

Yeah... you're clearly have SLAYER.
>>
Leon Powalski - Sat, 27 Jul 2019 04:13:33 EST A0EiJyuw No.740813 Reply
>>740779
man I just don't think you're cut out for this whole life thing
>>
Better Friend - Sat, 27 Jul 2019 17:41:27 EST pQhPl845 No.740833 Reply
You're really mean. Genuinely. Yeah I took it seriously... So what? I'm not going to pretend I'm a numb and not being affected. Do you think being chill is all that matters. That's dumb and you know that. Don't worry. I won't bother you anymore.

>>740789
>>740813

Shove it!
>>
Trainer Blue - Mon, 05 Aug 2019 21:38:40 EST jgGFrTeu No.741168 Reply
1565055520670.png -(961604B / 939.07KB, 1276x682) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I just got done playing MGS, then MGS2, and now I'm playing MGS3 again for the 100th time. And it hit me today as I was laying down in my bed.

Kojima is a prophet sent to us by the Lord. Hideo's presence on this earth is a gift that we should cherish and hold dearly. Anytime I'm feeling down, I just think of Hideo Kojima and how he's working tirelessly to create a game that will change the way we even perceive this world. I swear that he's an angel. MGS franchise has gotten me through everything; it's my childhood, my longtime friend, and my shoulder to lean on when I'm hurting bad. The characters crafted by Kojima are alive and brilliantly acted by the most talented actors known to mankind. David Hayter is my father and I am his unworthy child.

When I played the Ladder part in Snake Eater for the first time, it opened my eyes to how video games can be ART. And that's what keeps my going in life. Death Stranding is the reason to live. I believe in Hideo Kojima. I believe!
>>
Geno - Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:28:01 EST vbOClieA No.741207 Reply

People shouldn't take this number as if it's something important. It might have been something significant in Silent Hills, but it got cancelled.
First of all, that's Kojima's birthday, if you remove the zero: 24 August -63

Secondly, in P.T. it DID have a meaning, although only in Japanese....
Basically it's a Japanese anagram for "look in the bath tub". And indeed, there was a certain point in the game where looking at the bath tub triggered a small event (and it wasn't something that could easily happen by accident). More explanation here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/827527-pt/69865464

Thirdly, the number appears in TPP on a wall of a building as "63_824". The same numbers, except zero is missing. Zero is missing, as in Major Zero who is hiding. Why is the order different? Because it's more clearly Kojima's birthday.

In other words, it was just a thing Kojima fiddled with for a while. In any of the material released about Death Stranding, not a slightest hint of those numbers has been made. Sure, Kojima might put them in some random spot in Death Stranding just to fuck with us. And then fan boys will discuss their meaning for years after release, never accepting that they were just a small reference to P.T.
>>
Lucy Stillman - Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:25:55 EST ml8X0Rix No.743250 Reply
>>743130
Kojimas games were never interactive movies, they always had solid gameplay loop. Even MGS5 with its unskippable chopper rides, empty desert and obnoxious forced walking and crowling segments had pretty good shooting and stealth.
That said, it will be interesting to see how he makes a compelling game out of walking a thousand miles with a backpack.
>>

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.