Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

when will digital cockfighting be esports?

- Thu, 14 Nov 2019 10:54:03 EST 20WTriXt No.745813
File: 1573746843272.gif -(856792B / 836.71KB, 280x210) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. when will digital cockfighting be esports?
I'm a competitive[/b ]pokemon player, it is the highest stakes most intellectually stimulating vs experience in video games, it is done on pirate websites not the actual games so it is also fast paced, highly competitive, organized, with no barrier to entry other than strategy knowledge, and free

pokemon games suck ass though and they're never going to get better, gamefreak couldn't make a passable PS vita game, nintendo literally don't understand how to use the internet, it's never gonna take off or get better or move anywhere from here (even if the national dex shit is the best thing they've ever done to the game and the new meta already looks infinitely better than Xtreme landorus edition 7th gen)
DIGIMON games are better in almost every way except they're also barely video games, cyber sleuth is a visual novel with 1 boss fight per hour of reading text about going on food tours of tokyo, also not esports
does dragon quest monsters even have pvp??? has literally anyone ever even played those games? what else exists in the "forcing rare animals to fight for your amusement" game sphere?

so where the FUCK are the monster game esports? I can't be the only one who sees potential in this
here industry plants reading this take a business model for free

>take a franchise people care about, it could be almost anything as long as it has small creatures
>rip off pokemon stadium
>put in ladders and rankings for online play
>make people earn rental monsters with currency they get by playing online
>run seasonal events so people can earn rare monsters with new moves
>be the first person riding a new f2p mmo trend like league or pubg were
>it's basically free money?
>>
Barry Burton - Thu, 14 Nov 2019 12:31:01 EST KStlqbSK No.745818 Reply
Irl cockfighting isnt a competitive sport either cause theres not much skill and lots of chance in breeding and training cocks. Its dumb entertainment for the cruel.
>>
Ecco the Dolphin - Thu, 14 Nov 2019 13:23:07 EST BJtLvEfC No.745824 Reply
>>745813
Nintendo have removed the barriers to entry slightly with every generation. They'll never get it to simulator levels though.The themed contests brought something the sims didn't and the world tournament is basically the top sim players. The doubles format is actually also a lot more fun than singles because it's easier to balance a monster when there's going to be 2 things on the field that can work together to check it. It also adds a lot more depth. Not that singles isn't insanely deep already. Triples on the other hand is basically weather wars though.

It is a bone fide strategy game. Mid to high level play is knowledge and knowing what you can use to beat what, plus having a strong strategy and team but what separates the best players is reading your opponent and out guessing them.

If it wasn't mostly GAIJIN NON KOREN NON NIPPON PIGDOG SUBHUMAN SCUM doing it, nintendo would probably find a way to monetise this, make it another stream of pokemon to monetise. Or maybe make it so you can just play a sim like up top quality monster with whatever nature IVs and learnable moves and abilities combos you want if you catch one of that monster or whatever. Still ensures people play the game but makes it less of a grind so players could spend more time playing and less breeding and training. That's the next logical step if they want to keep selling the main game.
>>
Cyan - Thu, 14 Nov 2019 18:56:31 EST 7uex4QDh No.745832 Reply
Do you enjoy watching other people play pokemon battles? I domt think I even enjoy watching pokemon battles I'm participating in.

I think there needs to be some active audience to be a career tournament scene
>>
Dirk the Daring - Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:20:40 EST 20WTriXt No.745887 Reply
>>745832
personally yeah if its a good battle, like if I'm spectating a high level round on a simulator and I can follow along with the player's thought processes and options as the match unfolds

the game itself is pretty slow and boring to watch though, that's part of the problem, with a better game with better flow, and a good commentator set up that can keep people following along with the decisions being made I don't see why other people couldn't too
>>
M. Bison - Fri, 15 Nov 2019 12:53:20 EST BJtLvEfC No.745888 Reply
>>745832
People get excited by poker games and watch streams of all sorts. I don't think it's something that can become self funding professional unless the top level sport energises the lower tiers or feeds in from them and those are a revenue stream.

A lot of it is hype and knowing your audience and how big it can truly be. The real issue is that unlike say MTG or poker you can't get a good revenue stream off lower tier players and encouraging pros doesn't help. I played a bit of MTG arena and enjoyed it, I was good enough as F2P that I could beat a lot of people but that model has lots of in app purchases that work in a way pokemon doesn't. It allows people like me to feed the whales and still enjoy themselves.
>>
Jarl Balgruuf - Sat, 16 Nov 2019 10:25:57 EST +kB1nOty No.745972 Reply
It seems to me like cheating would be way too easy and far too hard to detect. I say this as someone that totally cheated on link cable battles when I was a kid. First with gameshark, then with a brain boy which was a cartridge based save editor for pokemon games. The tools people have these days make it so much easier, everything I had to dick around with on a tiny non backlit screen people can do on their home computers now.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.