Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Discord Now Fully Linked With 420chan IRC

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

AoE2:DE

- Sat, 16 Nov 2019 14:39:23 EST 2r67avsZ No.745984
File: 1573933163627.jpg -(46774B / 45.68KB, 600x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. AoE2:DE
How do i get into this game?
I've never played these games back in the day.
Now that this is out it looks really cozy and nostalgic and stuff, so I am intrigued to play it.
However whenever I play these games, Age of Mythology, or AoE, I can't seem to get into a gameplay loop. I just can't seem to get into it. I click on stuff but the next thing always catches me off guard and it's just not very enjoyable. I play the tedious tutorial but it's really not making much of a difference in terms of not really finding how to advance or take enjoyment out of the game.
Maybe I am just retarded.
What is the aspect you guys enjoy most in these games? What's your favourite thing to do in them? Any tips for someone just starting out?
Thanks.
>>
Primordial Serpent Kingseeker Frampt - Sat, 16 Nov 2019 14:41:28 EST noL7S+Qv No.745986 Reply
gotta learn the hotkeys. usually H returns you home to your main building, you can set up numbered squads of troops with like Ctrl + 1 and then pressing 1 takes you to them or something. look up the hotkeys for each game, it's a lot easier if you can check base, troops, scouts, etc instead of scrooooolling all the way there
>>
honk - Sat, 16 Nov 2019 23:43:32 EST hRfsG87y No.746033 Reply
>>745984
Most of these types of games have a fun single player campaign. Play through that. Learn hotkeys and try different strategies. Don't dilly dally too much. StarCraft 2 also has a very beginner friendly paced and fun campaign, maybe check that out first.

I'm probably going to pick this up in a few days if there isn't anything massively wrong with it. Too soon to tell at this time.
>>
Naija - Sat, 16 Nov 2019 23:59:58 EST 2r67avsZ No.746035 Reply
>>746033
I played Starcraft and Settlers before, but those felt a lot more straightforward.
In this game, I just never know what to do next, what "civilization" should I pick...
>>
Dregs - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:13:44 EST TV9Za1Xo No.746045 Reply
>How do I get into this game
It's just math turned into enthusiasm. If you didn't already like that, you're probably not going to like this game much.

>The gameplay loop
Get wood. Turn the wood into food and armies. Keep expanding your production. Some time in the feudal age, start getting gold and stone. Turn those into buildings and armies. Never stop expanding your production. This game on the surface looks cozy, but it's really about becoming as efficient as possible to overrun your enemies before they can raise a proper defense. Most fights are decided before both sides get to really build up. If you can't get to the castle age within 15 minutes while also defending constant attacks, you're doing it wrong. AOE2 is a plate spinning simulator. I still love it, but you should know that you have to be omniscient and have the reaction timing of the flash in order to be good enough to play vs people. If you just want to go vs the AI, you'll get a ton of entertainment even if you're not very good.

My favourite strategy is to tower rush AI. They'll go broke trying to destroy your tower.
>>
Andrew Oikonny - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:24:58 EST Mz5DvYKJ No.746050 Reply
>>745984
I don't know why but I never got into Aoe 2 back in the day despite it being a bit younger than the games I did enjoy back then like AoE and Starcraft. Frankly I think it's a combination of castle and king and all the other bullshit making it less fun or easy to get into for me.

Try playing the original Age of Empires. It's the best one.
>>
Dregs - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:26:19 EST TV9Za1Xo No.746052 Reply
>>746051
Oh shit cat planet cat planets to cat planet again! FUCK YEAH I LOVE 420CHAN!
>>
Captain Onishima - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:27:19 EST b8JQjNDn No.746053 Reply
It's pretty simple, just pick it up and go. Start playing. See what happens. It's not too complicated, it's run-of-the-mill in execution. You won't be burdened with puzzles. lol I'm trying to get out of a game right now. I'm playing New Vegas and it's been too long. Too many 100's of hours into this game. I need to invest my precious life into other things for my best life state. It's starting to worry me. I must not compromise and go on this singular tracks without any back down to firmness. lol
>>
Naija - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:27:22 EST 2r67avsZ No.746054 Reply
>>746050
I just like zerg rushing the enemy and watching my villagers do silly animations in Settlers. This game might be not for me.
>>
Naija - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:29:28 EST 2r67avsZ No.746055 Reply
>>746053
I played it and I can not get a droplet of enjoyment out of this game. There are too many choices that make too little of a difference. I realised the reason I never played this series before is the fact it's just not for me.
>>
Dregs - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:31:34 EST TV9Za1Xo No.746056 Reply
>>746054
Try a militia rush. Try an archer rush. They sometimes work. Learn the persian douche. AOE2 has more depth than most other RTS games and that's why it's still being played 20 years later. There's a lot of viable strategies but learning to get your build orders down and learning to make the most of the first 5 minutes of the game is the real key to getting good.
>>
Naija - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:32:56 EST 2r67avsZ No.746058 Reply
>>746056
It's a shame the animations are not as adorable as Settlers.
I can see how this is a good game that can play out in a much more varied way than stuff like Starcraft but maybe that's the reason I don't find it very appealing.
>>
>>
Dregs - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 02:46:20 EST TV9Za1Xo No.746060 Reply
>>746058
Sounds like you really just need to learn some fun tactics. Starcraft was simple. Make zergling. Make more zerglings. Drown your enemy in a literal flood of zerglings. But AOE has more varied tactics. It leaves you thinking that you should adjust your strategy to counter your opponent constantly. That doesn't win fights, though. Planning ahead and using tactics to your advantage wins.

So here's some fun tactics to try:

The persian douche.
>Be persian so your town centers cost less stone
>start wood production like normal and scout for the enemy base
>when you find the enemy base, delete your town center and build a new one 11 tiles from the enemy town center
>continue to play the game as normal, but garrison 2 villagers in your town center
Should cripple the enemy because you're stealing resources from them just by existing. You have to be willing to fight over nothing with nothing to make it work.

Tower rush
>Britons, Chinese, Spanish, Teutons all work
>from the start, only work to get resources to get to feudal age
>build 2 towers, 4 tiles apart near your enemy's wood gathering spot
I've seen the AI bankrupt itself trying to kill towers with militia.

Scout rush
>get to feudal age
>build 5 stables so the enemy base is between the stables and your base
>just keep making more scouts
This one might actually appeal to you, since you liked the zerg rush.
>>
Naija - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 03:05:02 EST 2r67avsZ No.746063 Reply
>>746060
Thanks man. I will give it another chance later considering these tactics.
>>
Reaver - Sun, 17 Nov 2019 06:19:39 EST LNSPIZDW No.746069 Reply
1573989579927.png -(276307B / 269.83KB, 719x731) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Hey dude, AoE2 is pretty much my favourite game in the world and I'm very psyched about the new DE version. If you're new to the game, I would highly recommend watching a couple of Youtube channels. Namely T90Official and Spirit of the Law. T90 casts a lot of professional games, which are both fun and informative to watch, whereas Spirit of the Law analyses different parts of the game, like mechanics and civilizations. ZeroEmpires also has tons of great videos but he produces little content these days; still, his old videos are good. Anyways or example here is a SotL video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tUG-aOua8

Anyways, if you're a total noob, I'd recommend just playing through some of the campaigns, maybe having a game or 2 against the AI. Eventually, you'll want to play online, and believe me, this game online is so much fucking fun. But, it's a whole new kettle of fish. Online you'll have to learn build orders, rushes, boar luring, booming, etc etc.

In the meantime, just focus on some chill SP campaigns. I love the Genghis Khan and Montezuma ones especially. Atilla's is also awesome. Anyways, learn hotkeys. These are so important to being a good player. Learn hotkeys, learn what counters what (spears > cavalry, archers > infantry, cavalry > archers, siege, etc) and watch some Youtube videos to get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each civ.

I gotta go now but I will happily come back later and give you a more informative post. AoE2 is quite simply the greatest game ever.
>>
Leon Powalski - Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:57:27 EST 2r67avsZ No.746114 Reply
>>746107
Linux is just not for games, man. If you want to play all games, dual boot.
>>
Guan Yu - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 01:13:18 EST vaOTB1kQ No.746205 Reply
>>745984
Does anyone know if there is any reason to get the HD version of AOE2 they released in 2013? Steam sells it in bundle with DE but DE is the same thing but in 4K right?
>>
The Prince - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 03:52:01 EST szSE8uCw No.746210 Reply
>>746205
Pretty much. DE also has lots of quality of life improvements, 4 new civs, 3 new campaigns, remastered old campaigns and a good few balance changes. There really isn't any reason to buy HD instead, apart for nostalgia factor and well, tbf, multiplayer is a bit buggy and crap with DE at the moment but I'm sure that'll be fixed soon.

Just get DE.
>>
Bolozof Velasgo - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:07:01 EST mt80M2A8 No.746230 Reply
>>746114

reeeee

linux is for games

you just brainwashed into turning your computer into a smartphone
>>
Col. John Blade - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:13:06 EST JOPYHwnm No.746231 Reply
>>746230
linux can not be for games when only a small portion of the games are available on linux.
about turning my computer into a smartphone, i dont know man, I have been using windows since win98.
I don't care about your open software bullshit. I'm just saying how it is. If you want to play every game for pc out there with good performance, you need to dual boot.
>>
Katt Monroe - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 15:35:50 EST HBVJmkKb No.746236 Reply
>>746231
>when only a small portion of the games are available on linux.
have you even looked into this recently?

Unreal Engine and Unity both have had Linux support for a very long time. Naturally this makes the cost of being on Linux very low and many games have done this.

This is literally one of the major arguments against Epic Store. Epic exclusivity has literally meant dropping Linux support in the past because Epic Store isn't on Linux.
>>
Col. John Blade - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:22:58 EST JOPYHwnm No.746237 Reply
>>746236
Dude. I know from day to day more and more games are being made available on Linux. That still means only like 1% of all games that work on windows work on linux natively
>>
Katt Monroe - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:27:22 EST HBVJmkKb No.746238 Reply
>>746237
>Dude. I know from day to day more and more games are being made available on Linux.

No they fucking aren't. You missed the point. This shit peaked 5 years ago.
>>
Phoenix Wright - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:23:56 EST ZaCLfyaw No.746240 Reply
>>746238
So whats your fucking point then. Why did you even bother to reply if you have nothing to say. If you wanna game you have 100x more choice on Windows than any other operating system. I think it makes sense to keep a windows install on your computer along with linux if you're serious about gaming. The fact you listed 2 engines that work on Linux means nothing of significance in this context.
>>
Katt Monroe - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:54:50 EST HBVJmkKb No.746241 Reply
>>746240
You've clearly never filtered your Steam library for linux games.
There's a ton of shit in there. There are AAA games in there and games have been showing up in there for years. Every Valve game, Every Paradox game, half of Sega games, nearly every roguelike and indie you've ever seen.

>If you wanna game you have 100x more choice on Windows than any other operating system
This opinion is 10 years old.

>The fact you listed 2 engines that work on Linux means nothing of significance in this context.
two thirds of the entire gaming industry runs on those two engines.
>>
Dan - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 19:35:54 EST ZaCLfyaw No.746242 Reply
>>746241
Ok. A fraction of all games for PC are on steam.
This discussion leads nowhere. If you want to play every fucking PC game out there you can do that on windows. If you want to play some, you can do that on linux.
>>
>>
Blaze the Cat - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 19:56:25 EST bNro5nv+ No.746243 Reply
>>746242
>Ok. A fraction of all games for PC are on steam.
HAHAHAHA
>>
Frank West - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 20:02:27 EST L1I+XMS1 No.746245 Reply
>>746243
What is funny about this? Steam lacks a lot of games from 1998-2010.
My guess would be your introduction to PC gaming would be exclusively through steam.
There are a shitton of games that are not on it, either because the publisher is defunct, or the game is old and niche and they dont bother.
Almost every game today comes out on steam, that's true. Most of them come on Linux as well today, that's also true.
What is so funny? What is your point you're trying to prove? How can you argue with the fact there's lots of games you can't play natively on Linux? Are you okay?
>>
Dark Link - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:16:07 EST HBVJmkKb No.746247 Reply
>>746245
What's funny about it is that steam has been the dominant game platform on PC for as long as PC was a major gaming platform before Steam.

So that fraction is still like, more than half of games that matter.
>>
Frank West - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:24:52 EST L1I+XMS1 No.746248 Reply
>>746247
I don't understand you. We're not rating the games. On what criteria does a game matter or not.
All I fucking said, is that it's worth it to use Windows along Linux, so you can literally play any PC game you want. If you only use Linux, you can only play games that are ported to Linux (or struggle a lot with Wine).
The amount of games in the latter category is obviously significantly less than every single PC game that ever came out on Windows.
What the actual god damn fucking fuck are you two arguing with me about?
>>
Johnny Cage - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:44:41 EST vaOTB1kQ No.746249 Reply
>>746210
So it's just Steam trying to trick you into wasting money by buying a bundle of the same game more or less? Cool. Do they have a section for deals like that?
>>
Feng Wei - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:13:06 EST 20WTriXt No.746250 Reply
1574305986808.jpg -(85303B / 83.30KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
linux for gaming won't be legit until japanese doujin devs start making their games for it and considering most of them seem to still be stuck on windows xp I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon
>>
Dark Link - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:17:16 EST HBVJmkKb No.746251 Reply
>>746248
>The amount of games in the latter category is obviously significantly less than every single PC game that ever came out on Windows.

I hate to break it to you but backward compatibility isn't very good. Wine is actually better at running a lot of old software than Windows 10. Additionally, disc-based copy protection was blocked from Windows 10 for security risk.

What you can actually do for backward compatibility is run virtual machines on Linux with a GPU and USB. Which can technically take you all the way back to where emulation takes over because you can run PCI-e to PCI adapters and run 20 year old hardware in modern computers.

And not to be hypocritical, this is what I do when I'm not running OSX instead. But there actually is a very large library of stuff on Linux and I think a lot of people don't appreciate how substantial it is these days.
>>
Frank West - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:49:12 EST L1I+XMS1 No.746253 Reply
>>746251
I hate to break it to you but I'm playing non-GOG Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 and Settlers 2 on PC all the time, and the last time I ran into any problems running old software was years ago
Wine is based on older windows so its ought ot be even better
then again that's not what we were talking about
>>
Frank West - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 22:52:18 EST L1I+XMS1 No.746254 Reply
>>746253
also even considering the fact some games will have compatibility issues it's still not nearly making up for the thousands of games that dont run on linux natively, and wine for the most part is a horrible mess with horrible performance and lots of bugs, something to use as a last resort
I have used Linux for a long time my N . I . G . G . E . R . you got nothing on me
>>
Dark Link - Wed, 20 Nov 2019 23:24:29 EST HBVJmkKb No.746258 Reply
1574310269591.jpg -(39860B / 38.93KB, 320x224) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>746253
Yeah you can do full emulation. What you don't have is any hope in hell of getting early DirectX backward compatibility on modern Windows.

You want to play Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure in its full glory? Put that PC disc away and get it for SegaCD, the emulation works perfectly and you don't have to install a whole copy of Windows 95 in a Qemu Virtual Machine to emulate the exact same game.
Literally the first DirectX game ever btw. But you're gonna have these types of issues through to DirectX 6 stuff at least (Wine is much better at this stuff than Windows). DX 7... You're probably good. But then there were only a few years of that before you're into Disc-based copy protection everywhere.

>wine for the most part is a horrible mess with horrible performance and lots of bugs
With a whole era of games it has a much better chance of running than Windows.

If you have to emulate, that's no longer a piece of software you get to consider native to your platform. That's just reality.

But if you were some kind of madman I suspect you could actually get a Voodoo 2 running on a modern PC through VT-d on a VM. And you could run Windows 95 at a hilarious 5 ghz and see what happens.
>>
Dark Link - Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:39:01 EST HBVJmkKb No.746266 Reply
>>746265
Blender literally runs pre-render CPU tasks twice as fast on Linux compared to Windows. That means shit you have to run before the raytracing viewport starts rendering (which allows you to work on lighting and materials properly) and on the project I'm currently working on that's over a minute on Windows and 30 seconds on Linux. OSX isn't so great either.

Plus I dunno if you've used Gnome or a tiling window manager lately, but that shit is fuckin' tight.
>>
Navi - Thu, 21 Nov 2019 06:14:52 EST 7KC27GNM No.746274 Reply
>>746258
i did not know that was the first dx game, nice
even the first tarzan pc game from 99 runs perfectly on my machine in win98 compatibility. i dunno if thats dx or nah. its just not a problem im facing. games after 2000 tend to run. GOG is also greaf as they tinker the games to run.
>>
Dark Link - Thu, 21 Nov 2019 06:46:48 EST HBVJmkKb No.746276 Reply
>>746274
Honestly the other thing that really hurts games from the 96-99 era is how many of them, DOS and Windows are strictly Glide3D or Software rendering at low res. It's weird how much of the industry was just balls deep in Voodoo cards for a while.

There were glide wrappers for Windows early on but it took a long time before it was really a thing in Dosbox.
>>
Vincent Valentine - Thu, 21 Nov 2019 07:32:36 EST eZhBKnxs No.746277 Reply
>>746276
People make Vodoo launchers. Thats how i run that santa platformer game
>>
>>
Vincent Valentine - Thu, 21 Nov 2019 07:32:36 EST eZhBKnxs No.746278 Reply
>>746276
People make Vodoo launchers. Thats how i run that santa platformer game
>>
Ibuki - Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:57:54 EST fshdd57H No.746281 Reply
Let's get back to talking about Age of Empires guys. What are your favourite civs? Strats? It's hard to choose one but I do love the Chinese (mega fleixibility), Ethiopians (archers, Shotel spam + insane siege), Turks (gunpowder heaven) and the Spanish (gunpowder, awesome monks, buff villagers and paladins).

As for strats I like all types of play but I'm more of an aggressive rusher. I prefer open maps like Arabia, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be building forward military buildings right outside your base in 15 minutes. While I do love late game battles, I find the post-Imperial Age is a micromanaging mess, although the DE quality of life improvements have helped. Still, I just love a good ol Feudal Age rush backed up by a strong 1-TC all in military push in Castle Age.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.