Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

underrated

- Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:04:32 EST 1/NW/6Rr No.749533
File: 1582142672312.jpg -(57123B / 55.78KB, 640x260) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. underrated
Thread for vastly underrated and underappreciated video games. It doesn't necessarily have to be a masterpiece but definitely one that never got its due.

Torment Tides of Numenera
Because it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I can only imagine people didn't like it because they're illiterate fags and children

Fallout Tactics
It had a lot wrong with it from the standpoint of Fallout which seems so innocent and naive in hindsight of Bethesda but it was hands down one of the best tactical games I ever played in my life. It even had the great general ambience of the originals but looks better. All it needed was a non-linear story and being an actual rpg.

Satellite Reign
As a fan of the original Syndicate this game was amazing. Controls took time getting used to but once you're in a groove it's pretty awesome. I just wish it didn't rely on "clones" which weirdly cheapens everything.

Wasteland 2
This game is literally Fallout 3. Bethesda 3 having the IP is irrelevant. It's like leaving Disney and EA in charge of Star Wars. It's nothing but another company doing a Fallout themed or Star Wars themed reskin of their bullshit. Wasteland 2 is the actual Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 is due to release this spring.
>>
Clank - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:14:22 EST j0uAWvGW No.749534 Reply
>>749533
Satellite Reign was lacking in polish. When it works it's great but the system is unstable.
>>
Morrigan Aensland - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:35:40 EST rTxXFbyM No.749535 Reply
1582144540817.jpg -(154559B / 150.94KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Enter the Gungeon.

Everyone fawns over Isaac but ETG is a better game in almost every regard.
>>
KLEZ.fml !!cEQLOiCj - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:19:58 EST 5nRDyOou No.749536 Reply
>Kenshi
Unpolished af but fixed with mods. Very old school RPG in execution, but with modern systems simulation that gives it a nice sense of scale.
>The Banner Saga 1/2/3
Didn't get a ton of attention except for the first one's KS. I really like the story and the artwork, not to mention the dual protagonist setup of the latter two games.
>Lakeview Valley
Nobody has even heard of this sequel to Lakeview Cabin, but it's a lot of fun even though it runs out of steam toward the end. An expansion to flesh out the endgame is planned.
>Hyperrogue
A free* game about geometry. I call this game the "vomit comet" because I have never been more nauseated playing a game in my life. If you can attune your brain to the vomit inducing visuals of euclidean geometry the game is great. I stopped getting sick around the 3rd or 4th time playing it. (*the Steam version is a paid game, it is free on the dev's website).

>>749535
Gungeon was awful. Complete waste of money.
>>749533
I bought Torment on Kickstarter and never played it (past the intro). I really should.
Fallout Tictacs I played quite a bit when it came out, scarcely remember it now.
Never heard of Satellite Reign.
I bought Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter and never played it (at all). I probably should.
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:53:13 EST hi2hFY86 No.749537 Reply
>>749536
No way man Gungeon is great. Its just super hard. Its like one of the 4 pillarstones of rougelites I love. Gungeon for the twinstick run and gun vibes, issac for the more locked down zelda like vibes, Risk of Rain for the platformer shooter vibes and Spelunky for the platformer rip out my hair vibes.
>>
KLEZ.fml !!cEQLOiCj - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 19:59:39 EST 5nRDyOou No.749538 Reply
>>749537
Yes, it's too goddamn hard. I play ROR and ROR2 on monsoon, Dead Cells on 2x or 3x difficulty, and I found this game way too hard right out the gate. Even Dark Souls II had a skill progression curve. This one is more of a cliff.
Admittedly, I've never been great at the bullet hell thing, but I played through the E:nd of Yorha sequence in Nier: Automata without the online support. It required a ridiculous number of attempts, but I beat it. This game did not make me want to beat it, it made me want to uninstall.

I have Spelunky from a Humble Bundle but (again) never really played it. I installed it and ran it at least once on my old PC but that's all I remember about it. I should really do some back catalog stuff.
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:15:07 EST hi2hFY86 No.749539 Reply
>>749538
I'd say spelunky is the harder of the two. The thing about gungeon is you really need to grind it to unlock some better starter guns and learn how/when to dodgeroll and use blanks. Try running cheat engine or something to give you free monnies or something to make it a bit more easy.
Spelunky is like pulling teeth some times.
>>
Sheva Alomar - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:24:18 EST Spxa58di No.749540 Reply
>>749539
Spelunky is also actually a game that you just need to get better at over time.

No unlocks to help you, No overtuning the game in the knowledge that eventually everyone will get powerful enough to defeat shit.
The persistent progression shit is a cancer on this genre, but people are addicted to it.

You get much better quality gameplay and design if you don't have upgrades at all.
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:29:06 EST hi2hFY86 No.749541 Reply
>>749540
Yeah Ill always respect spelunky for giving you all the tools to succeed and letting you make your own mistakes. Those insta kill spikes though...
>>
Roxas - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:43:02 EST XUc1sXap No.749542 Reply
1582162982882.jpg -(97359B / 95.08KB, 512x384) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>749540
Unfortunately it just doesn't feel quite enjoyable enough to make most people want to get better at it. I could see how it could be fun, and even grew up with some of the punishing type of game it's based on. But one of the things I like about modern game design is that they learn to be more accessible.

For example, in order to allow more people to enjoy its content, they could offer an easy mode. More initial hearts, more starting items, the ability to find money/hearts/items quickly and more easily, a continue mode to continue on the same level, etc.

Let players get only half-way through the game with this mode. Then they have to move up to normal/standard.

This was a regular practice with old NES games that were tough as nails. It would at least let you get your foot in the door and learn the mechanics while not pulling your hair out. Most people don't play Spelunky long enough to learn what even 50% of the items do.

Permanent unlocks aren't the only way to ease a player into a roguelite, that's all I'm saying.
>>
King K. Rool - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:51:25 EST 20WTriXt No.749543 Reply
>>749540
Persistent progression is absolutely vital for there being any drive for the average player to actually continue playing and for there to be any sense of worth to countless randomized runs of the exact same thing. This is what kills rougelites like FTL for me, since the only difference between runs is what start you pick and how the game decides to fuck you over, and if you get fucked over to the point your run is over its nothing but a waste of time.

I fundamentally disagree about gungeon being grindy and unlocks being required, more than new random drops becoming available the most important thing for improving and getting further is pattern memorization and enemy knowledge and like the other dude said using your dodge roll and blanks. The biggest thing the unlocks and hub shops do is give you a persistent feeling of getting something done even if you have a shit run.

play it like a shmup, don't get hit, use your bombs, and you don't need anything better than the marine's starting pistol to get you through
>>
AC !QqL8nX9URE - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:54:53 EST hi2hFY86 No.749544 Reply
>>749543
Yeah the pattern memorization is key. The repeated playthoughs give you that practice and lets you get better at the game while giving you a few more tools to try out. I really dig the secret exits you can unlock to skip the early levels later on, once you have mastered them.
>>
LeChuck - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:57:40 EST M9O0zCz8 No.749545 Reply
Enemies in Gungeon have had overtuned health since it was released. Scales in a bad way by floor when compared to the player's damage. Makes the game really boring for me, personally.
>>
Sheva Alomar - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 21:12:21 EST Spxa58di No.749546 Reply
Honestly Binding of Isaac is the one that got progression.

You unlock gear, you unlock more levels, you unlock HARDER ENEMIES so the difficulty doesn't evaporate as your power increases.

The best way to go about persistent progression is to lay all that shit on. Any other approach is just a fuck-up.
>>
Roxas - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 21:13:18 EST XUc1sXap No.749547 Reply
>>749545
It scales according to damage...? What do you mean? You can't have a crazy OP run on later levels?

I haven't played enough Gungeon but Isaac still seems superior. The synergies and 100% OP builds are just too good. Whereas Gungeon seems to be mostly "I've got a nice collection of guns" and you're constantly running out of ammo of one or the other anyhow. Dislike constantly switching, managing ammo. It's a great game but it just has some very annoying parts that have kept me from ever beating it. At one point I was gittin gud enough so that I made the bullet to kill my past, but then never bothered to beat it all the way through after that. Especially when I run into certain enemies like the bullet wall, I get my shit pushed in, and it's just depressing having a great run be murdered by an enemy you encounter once every few runs and can't do a lot of practice against without grinding through shit before.
>>
Sly Boots - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 21:16:49 EST XT3lbW6d No.749548 Reply
>>749547
GP was saying that the player's damage does not scale quickly enough to keep up with enemies' health.
>>
Sephiroth - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 22:34:58 EST l160AQv/ No.749550 Reply
1582169698937.jpg -(71866B / 70.18KB, 430x545) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
>>
Cyan - Wed, 19 Feb 2020 23:45:29 EST wG6wYsTC No.749554 Reply
1582173929251.jpg -(86856B / 84.82KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>Sheep Raider

Nostalgia influences my memory I'm sure on this one. I remember Sheep Raider having a unique soundtrack, clever level design, and a stealth puzzle gameplay combo like no other. I've never even met someone else who played, and I played the hell out of this game for a year or so.
>>
LeChuck - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 00:41:49 EST M9O0zCz8 No.749555 Reply
>>749547
I find that enemies' health increases too much compared to the player's damage, which results in almost every single thing you fight taking more hits than they feel (to me) like they should. Every enemy feeling like a small bullet sponge makes it boring for me. Isaac has enough damage upgrades that this rarely becomes a problem, Gungeon doesn't.

It's just a multiplier on enemy health, based on what area you're in.
>>
Daxter - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 01:08:49 EST XqVk++4M No.749558 Reply
>>749555
I feel too much at the mercy of RNGesus in later parts, yeah. If you didn't roll the right guns your run is just over. Whereas in Isaac usually you can eke out a win even if you get a few bad drops.
>>
Earthworm Jim - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 07:04:55 EST oaKXeuFQ No.749572 Reply
1582200295544.png -(163890B / 160.05KB, 220x313) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
This was underrated. Very generic game for sure but
did anyone play the infection game mode? Probably not, was fun as fuck y’all niggas missed out.
>>
Cyan - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 07:36:42 EST 5HiJLo7l No.749573 Reply
>>749568
Well, like I said it may be pure nostalgia fueled that I remember it well. I don't even like Looney tunes, it was a random gamey brother got as a gift and we loved it.

Now I'm curious to go back and see if it was even as good as I'm remembering.
>>
Four - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 07:49:49 EST 4dY9XSz7 No.749575 Reply
>>749573
I'm going through that phase right now. Played three of my favorite games on the PS1 and I was pleasantly surprised. I discovered new ways to love my favorite games.
At least that's my experience so far. I've only been playing Capcom games for some reason, but I do think they created their best gems on the PlayStation.
>>
Adoring Fan - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 08:46:31 EST UcENjjuY No.749577 Reply
1582206391415.jpg -(31460B / 30.72KB, 353x498) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
RTS with some pretty unusual mechanics.
>>
Krista Sparks - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:15:41 EST F7u31HU7 No.749578 Reply
>>749533

Fable 2 was fun. Not as good as 1, but it was fun. I actually enjoyed the gun gameplay mechanics too, loved using the flintlock pistol.
>>
Earthworm Jim - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:06:38 EST oaKXeuFQ No.749588 Reply
>>749574

Thank you for supporting my claim that it is underrated.
>>
M'Aiq the Liar - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:28:35 EST zlNKvDh3 No.749591 Reply
>>749588
Forgotten =/= underrated. PDZ is forgotten, but it got great critic reviews. It got passed by quick by better/more feature-rich shooters and faded into irrelevance pretty quick iirc. The multiplayer was fun though you're right.
>>
Mappy - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:45:15 EST rTxXFbyM No.749595 Reply
>>749572
That game was legit my favorite shooter of that era. I loved the bots and the shop system, fuckin' blast. Cool arcade feel meets "new gen" of the time, I loved teh alternate firing modes.

Reminds me of Nightfire on GC.
>>
Mappy - Thu, 20 Feb 2020 20:53:17 EST 53I0Gt9/ No.749606 Reply
>>749536
Jesus what the hell, you backed games on kickstarter you never even ended up trying to play? Are you made of money or something?

And yeah they're both definitely worth it. Wasteland 2 can play like a slog at one patch right around where you're trying to get through the canyon but holy hell LA in particular makes anything in the first half infinitely worth it. It just sucks because they clearly intended for it to be XCOMish with a legendary mode but due to a combination of bugs and character progression it's just completely freaking impossible to play that way sadly which is a damn shame because reloading after character death definitely cheapens it but on some level you really do sort of need to. I mean, it *is* theoretically possible to beat the game after having multiple companions get killed, and it *is* possible to succeed with absolutely shit leveled characters because it's proper rng based skills, but odds are if you suffer sufficient casualties--and you will--particularly losing your medic or someone with say the best combat or utility skills like your thief that you're going to be in for a bad time if you don't savescum. It is pretty memorable otherwise however. Like I said it's pretty much just a newer version of Fallout. I beat it twice and enjoyed the hell out of that.

Tides is basically bug free and I can only imagine maybe the ending wasn't spectacular enough for some people or the very first area, Sagus Cliffs, was just too crowded for some people to deal with all that reading I dunno but I honestly thought it might've actually been even better than Planescape in certain respects. It definitely remains one of my top ten most memorable and absorbing games of all time. I wish to god that I could somehow just snap my fingers or funnel millions of my oligarch dollars into having a second Tides set somewhere else in that universe. I mean holy hell it was fantastic. If you're one of those hurr hurr books are for fags types then yeah I can imagine not getting a lot out of it because it has even less combat than Planescape although mercifully it isn't RTwP so it's a lot easier to manage and less aggravating. You can even interrupt some combats just talking people down and there's only like a dozen fights even in that game and only like two of them you actually have to fight.

I cannot sell that game hard enough. It just captures the imagination so well. It is definitely one of the weirdest games I've ever played although I haven't yet gotten into Pathologic or finished E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. I think that if you liked Disco Elysium you'll probably like Tides of Numenera.
>>
Dark Link - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 00:32:44 EST UbPUh90C No.749618 Reply
1582263164638.jpg -(76856B / 75.05KB, 600x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Hyperblade
Great concept, great narative, great atmosphere. Any extension of this setting would have been intriguing.

Basewars
Somehow, this was a western-only NES title. Isn't baseball supposed to be pretty huge in Japan? Would such a "reverse" localization have been outrageous? I'm not saying some adjustments wouldn't have helped a great deal, like a proper league mode, more modest edit teams, greater field visibility, or similar careful little tweaks.

Lemmings 3d
I don't care if 'Revolution was a more easy to swallow "happy medium", and screw the more direct gripes there were against it, all that really sucks is that there wasn't a high res version to really bring out its amazingness. That and that there was no Lemmings 3D-2 that was like a 3D *Lemmings 2*.

Gloom
I don't care if it's not actually a full game, the very fact that I haven't seen a standalone version of it like of Action Quake 2 confirms the underappreciatedness. Although I guess Tremulous sort of counts.

Rise of the Triad
There should at least be a ROTT mod for AssaultCube, it would fit like a glove.

Simfarm
Gimme Simfarm 2000!
>>
KLEZ.fml !!cEQLOiCj - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:33:11 EST 5nRDyOou No.749644 Reply
>>749606
I LOVED Disco Elysium. It's way up there, probably one of my top 10.

As for the Kickstarter thing, yes I had way more money than I knew what to do with back then. I spent around $4400 on Kickstarter before I decided the ship had sailed and it was full of scams now.
I actually played most of the games I bought of Kickstarter. I spent $80 on FTL for very dodgy bonus rewards (no physical media at all for that project) but I ended up 5000+ hours on that game so well worth it. I got a boxed copy of Leisure Suit Larry complete with condom. I had a boxed copy for WL2 as well, but I never actually got it (shipping issues, my fault not theirs).
At some point I realized the physical rewards were a problem and switched to min buy for finished product. This is where Torment came in, also Pillars of Eternity which I did play through and was pretty good despite some weaker production values.
I bought high on a few outright scams... like something tactics? Aura Tactics I think? Oddly I got my physical rewards for that one even though the game never shipped.
I didn't buy into CLANG cause I knew that one was a scam even before it was revealed as such, so I dodged some of the bigger bullets on KS.
Another truly great one was Hero U. Took half a decade to ship, but the game was well worth the wait. Oh and the three Shadowrun: Returns titles were all damn near flawless, no wonder they were a direct inspiration for Disco Elysium.

Torment lost me somewhere in the intro sequence, but I might give it another go. I think it ended up tied to GOG galaxy.

I have learned my lesson and will never put another dollar on Kickstarter again, if anyone was wondering.
>>
Vincent Valentine - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:47:07 EST lmeASA0D No.749645 Reply
1582314427161.jpg -(110081B / 107.50KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Off the top of my head it seems like the Earth Defense Force series doesn't get nearly enough love, at least in the west. I'm sure it's more popular in japan but idk.

In addition, I will never stop saying Titanfall 2 is underrated (it probably isn't at this point) until we get Tittydrop 3
>>
Nana & Popo - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:51:46 EST 1T3VBffp No.749646 Reply
>>749645
>Earth Defense Force series doesn't get nearly enough love

what are you talking about? this game gets praise whenever someone brings it up. It gets exactly enough praise for what it is and the niche it satisfies.
>>
Vaan - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:54:56 EST Spxa58di No.749649 Reply
>>749644
Torment has the older D&D rules and when it's not really a typical CRPG D&D game that's just a fuckwad of needless confusion.
>>
KLEZ.fml !!cEQLOiCj - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:57:35 EST 5nRDyOou No.749650 Reply
>>749649
Torment: Tides of Numinera (sp?) not Planscape: Torment. It has it's own ruleset from the Numinera (or whatever) book.
>>
Vaan - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 15:53:37 EST Spxa58di No.749655 Reply
>>749650
The conundrum here is that Tides is a significantly worse game, even though all of the mechanics are improved..
>>
Eddy Gordo - Fri, 21 Feb 2020 22:17:42 EST lmeASA0D No.749672 Reply
>>749646
What are you talking about? Maybe it does get praise when brought up, but it's barely brought up to begin with.

>It gets exactly enough praise for what it is and the niche it satisfies.
And my point is that it deserves more? Besides that's just, like, your opinion man
>>
Sniper Wolf - Sat, 22 Feb 2020 00:24:21 EST AZdK1Bnr No.749678 Reply
>>749655
Planescape was great and all but I just found Tides to be a more totally absorbing experience somehow. I'm not sure why I just ended up liking it just a little bit more for some reason.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.