Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

CRPGs

- Wed, 26 Feb 2020 16:59:55 EST AaQteG9s No.749815
File: 1582754395583.png -(238492B / 232.90KB, 518x230) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. CRPGs
I just finished tyranny for the third time on the hardest settings possible (new game + lets you keep powering up the same character over multiple plays). I also enjoyed divinity: original sin. Looking for recommendations on another CRPG that is similar to either of those. Doesn't have to be a fantasy setting, but an in depth spell system is a plus.
>>
Desmond Miles - Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:01:16 EST BJtLvEfC No.749817 Reply
>>749815
The other obsidian offerings aren't bad. POEII refined a lot of stuff from POE1 but 1 somehow just has more magic despite being a bit clunkier. Both games contain the middle aged stoner/animal love/farmboy eder who is your tank but also max ranks in bro. Bit ignorant though.

Tyranny's magic system is hard to match though. Though Tyranny's skill system and magic means it actually has a lot in common with earlier Elder Scrolls when you could invent spells in that regard. The elemental system in DOS and DOS2 is also really good and hard to match. You have set yourself a very high bar in regards to those two games best features.

I imagine you have played the witcher 3 but if not it's different but I think you'll like it. It's an action RPG but it's got a lot of RPG in. The potions and oils and shit will likely give you what you need. Play it on a harder setting if you want to min/max shit. I did it on normal and honestly you only need skill *or* preparation and tactics barring a couple of the hardest bosses, but the higher difficulties require both (I'm a stupid uncoordinated piece of shit so I liked I could tactics my way around that). Also has NG+
>>
Dregs - Wed, 26 Feb 2020 19:14:59 EST AaQteG9s No.749818 Reply
Was Dragon Age: Awakening worth a play? I never touched it at all. I did like the original. So I guess games like Dragon Age and Kotor would also be good examples of what I'm looking for.

>>749816
Beat it. I'd call Disco Elysium an interactive novel before I'd call it a CRPG.

>>749817
I didn't like the witcher series at all. Even 3 was a linear hack and slash disguised as sandbox. Those level "suggestions" were not really suggestions. I'm not spending half an hour fighting a boss, dealing 5 damage to it until it dies. Witcher 3 had more cutscene than gameplay. Which was fortunate for it, because the gameplay wasn't very good anyway.
>>
Blade & Striker - Wed, 26 Feb 2020 20:48:52 EST XUc1sXap No.749819 Reply
>>749818
>Beat it. I'd call Disco Elysium an interactive novel before I'd call it a CRPG.
In a good way? Pretty much all video game writing is absolute trash that could not get published to make its way to a grocery store book shelf. So to me "interactive novel" generally means "shit-tier book that you also have to click through."
>>
Dregs - Wed, 26 Feb 2020 23:40:08 EST AaQteG9s No.749822 Reply
>>749819
I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't call it a good game. It's a decent introduction to philosophy, at least. There's no difficult puzzles, and being able to do things is based on having done a lot of things in the past. Which leads you to try to get into a lot of situations just for the xp. So in the end, there's no real role to play. You punched out the racist giant guy just for the xp. Or you go through every dialogue option just for the xp so you can go through another check later. The story would be more compelling if the gameplay loop catered at all to the roleplaying aspect of the game. And if you're not trying to be a racist, communist, feminist, hobo, apocalypse cop (a crazy person, basically) then the game doesn't play very well.
>>
Quan Chi - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 02:17:38 EST lI/57d8t No.749825 Reply
Planescape. It's the only other one that had neat spells while feeling pretty similar. Tides is closer to Disco and not really spell oriented at all. Actually just using spells as your thing makes that a hard one although I guess Blackguards has an intricateish spell system in spite of being a very different game. Maybe Arx? Tbh you basically just listed the best game I've ever played in terms of magic system. Not everything else was as great but frankly I enjoyed Tyranny way more than I ever did Pillars. All the other ones either flat out don't have a magic system or the spellcradting system itself is garbage like Shadowrun.

Actually you know what if you're into that kind of game but don't care about it being a crpg then the ARPGs KOTOR and VTMB aren't that bad either. Force lightning and Tremere blood magics are two of the most pure fun magics to use in any game by far just for the oure visceral entertainment of it and they're fantastic games to boot. But really though you're never going to find a magic system quite as good as Tyranny, or as dynamic a spell and environment system as Divinity Original Sin, although come to think of it Dark Messiah of Heroes of Might and Magic has pretty close to an identical type of magic and environment system as Divinity uses except it's set in the first person rather than as a crpg.
>>
Dregs - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 03:44:54 EST AaQteG9s No.749827 Reply
>>749823
No, I'm saying the game forces you to play a crazy person in order to get anywhere. It was good as an experience. But I don't feel like playing it again, because there's nothing else to see there. I won't have a new experience because you're forced to play a certain way. It was funny. It was well written, in it's own weird way. But it's not a good game.

>>749825
Planescape might be the way to go. I was looking at it on the steam store. Who hasn't at least played KOTOR, if not beaten the ever living hell out of it's dead corpse? Great game. What's VYMB?
>>
B.B. Hood - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 04:08:05 EST j0uAWvGW No.749828 Reply
>>749827
Yes, that is the role, that you play, in a role playing game.
>>
Geralt - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 19:52:10 EST hVxfQuyy No.749861 Reply
>>749827

>What's VTMB?

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

Great game. Definitely check it out. But be aware that it was released in a pretty broken state and never really got fixed since the company went under, so you'll need to install the unofficial patch before playing.
>>
Astaroth - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 23:43:55 EST ybKjFeoz No.749871 Reply
>>749861
When a title has both colon and a hyphen, you know its pretty good
>>
Lucas - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 18:59:23 EST BJtLvEfC No.749924 Reply
>>749871
It's a microcosm of the game itself. Glorious, janky, flawed but characterful.

The hotel level is really good. I liked that one.
>>
Lightning - Fri, 06 Mar 2020 17:36:31 EST 5JgaaZWD No.750143 Reply
>>749924

It has not aged well though.

If you can deal with jank, play it. If not, I doubt the good writing will save it for you.
>>
Chersonese - Fri, 06 Mar 2020 19:53:00 EST j3o7Sbc6 No.750144 Reply
1583542380853.jpg -(237676B / 232.11KB, 1600x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>749815

You gotta try Outward. Last I checked it was on sale through greenmangaming for 15$ as opposed to the normal 40$ on steam.

It's an RPG about survival in a medieval fantasy world. It is local splitscreen or online co-op with a mod that allows for more than 2 people to play as well.

It is a glorious challenge to thrive in a wild world. Feeding yourself, staying properly equipped, healthy and such.

My advice is to use primitive satchels as a banking system near a camp site you create in or outside of town.

Definitely give it a try if you want something new and different that is an epic adventure, the combat allows for archery, blackpowder weapons, magic, and melee. It feels like a cross between dead frontier 2 and fable 2.

I highly recommend playing with a friend or atleast looking up some tips and tricks or crafting recipes online to make the game a bit easier on yourself.
>>
>>
Dregs - Sat, 07 Mar 2020 16:33:10 EST AaQteG9s No.750165 Reply
>>750144
Looks good, but seems less CRPG and more survival. I'm looking for stuff like baldurs gate, neverwinter nights, even Dragon Age, maybe. Not Dragon Age itself though. I've beaten that one into the ground.
>>
Pyramid Head - Sat, 07 Mar 2020 22:28:34 EST 1bNXVyph No.750169 Reply
1583638114778.png -(127086B / 124.11KB, 788x443) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>750165

There are towns, quests, unique items to find or obtain, magic and recipes to discover, traps and explosives you can set, action and exploration with NPC dialogue and interaction from anything as simple as making a trade to completely failing a quest and having an entire town be destroyed.

Judging from your liking of Baldur's gate and Dragon Age Inquisition you will enjoy this as it puts an emphasis on your actions as a player. Do you continue down the dark cavern or turn back to resupply? Do you engage the giant beast or sneak around it?

If you perish can have anything happen from waking up in a random location such as waking to find yourself captured by bandits losing all your items or waking up to a note from a kind stranger with all your gear intact and then some.

Definitely worth checking out for 15$, would not pay full price of 40$.

Also, it's controller friendly if you prefer to use one but is easily played with a keyboard. I highly suggest it.
>>
Dregs - Sat, 14 Mar 2020 05:32:49 EST Pzo7k+yX No.750328 Reply
>>750170
I have over 2000 hours in Ark. I'm not intimidated by survival. I just don't think it's something that will mesh well with a stat based, story driven RPG where I play as a character that makes decisions through dialogue and the combat runs like D&D with either turns or by allowing me to pause the game to give my party battle instructions. I'm not just looking for an RPG, I'm looking for a specific kind of game. Like Kotor, Dragon age, Tyranny, Divinity: Original Sin, etc.

>>750324 Sure, Mass effect is an RPG. But not even close to a CRPG, other than the parts where you talk to people a lot.
>>
Kessler - Sat, 14 Mar 2020 22:44:02 EST jSVdA87p No.750347 Reply
>>750324
only the first one. That was a pretty good attempt at melding real time shooty with RPG stuff for the time same as Morrowind for that time. But as we all learned from that era is real time and RPG does not mix well. Some thing the industry apparently failed to learn. Or did it as the rest of ME isn't even close to an RPG and come to think of it neither is TES.
>>
Viewtiful Joe - Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:50:40 EST i6QBQu9i No.750415 Reply
1584568240094.gif -(497357B / 485.70KB, 480x266) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>750328
>2000 hours in Ark. I'm not intimidated by survival.
  • Good but that is a completely different game, the only guns here are blackpowder pistols though there are giant reptilian beasts but it doesn't matter... You seem foolish to disregard things and prove your worth to online strangers with such meaningless accomplishments.

>Stat based
  • There are no stats other than your health, mana, hunger, thirst, and gear rating.

> runs like D&D with either turns or by allowing me to pause the game.
  • You did not even bother to watch gameplay or see reviews at all before judging and that says alot about you.

>I'm not just looking for an RPG, I'm looking for a specific kind of game.
  • If this is how you dismiss and critique any suggestion without the slightest inclination to look for yourself you're an absolutely helpless, ignorant, biased, inept, critical, and lost cause of an opinionated fool who deserves no help...

Go search for your own perfect game, you deserve nothing more than the dissatisfaction of searching endlessly to suit your hopelessly difficult and snide self... You absolutely portray yourself like the kind of child who would rage quit and uninstall a game after getting completely owned because it's not a satisfactory power fantasy.

Git gud scrub. Nb.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.