Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Collecting games

- Thu, 27 Feb 2020 21:46:57 EST ZlwynCke No.749864
File: 1582858017028.jpg -(125089B / 122.16KB, 646x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Collecting games
>grow up playing video games nonstop
>my cousin gave me 50 nes games once and I traded them all for a copy of Kirby 64 when I was about 10, vowed I’d make up for it
>get a job in highschool working at goodwill
>become a pricer
>start taking any video game made GameCube era or before and putting it under the shelf
>mark item 50 cents and stash it at the end of the night, come back early the next day and buy it
>got thousands of dollars worth of gaming shit this way, Nes, n64, and virtual boy in the box, all the snes classics in the box in good condition including turtles in time and Metroid and dkc series
>eventually get caught and fired
>turns into huge addiction. This was when Xbox 360 was big but I didn’t care, I scoured Craigslist turning up old ps1 and sega Saturn collections and drove around the city scamming people out of their lost treasures, forgotten games of yesteryear, the golden age of gaming
>acquire a few arcade cabinets, at one point I own a tv with a built in NES
>by the age of 18 my moms basement is filled with this shit, shoeboxes full of gameboy games, hundreds of titles from the heyday of classic gaming, all of the classics you can imagine.
>I had any system you could think of except for really expensive/hypey shit (think like

So eventually I graduate highschool and dump my girlfriend who put up with this addiction and I get into drugs and drinking and chasing women and normal shit that people that age do.

All this shit sat in my moms basement and I slowly sold it over the years. I estimate I made 6-7 grand selling maybe 2/3rds of it over the course of like 6 years, whenever I ran out of money or needed a bag of weed there was always an Atari lynx or some shit I could pull out of my ass and run up to half price books and make a quick buck. That’s the saddest part, most of the time I wasn’t even selling it for what it was worth.

Eventually the collection dwindled down to about 70-80 games for nes, snes, ps1, and n64. My brothers had stolen my GameCube and gameboy and neo geo pocket collection Christmas everything else had been sold. I no longer had any sega or Atari.

I did a bunch of acid last summer at a music festival and decided I needed to become a minimalist and sell everything I own. When it came to the games, I couldn’t truly get rid of them. I sold them to my brother for a mere $600, and he struck a jack pot. There was chrono trigger and castlevania Dracula x in their. Most of the n64 classics. A copy of the original Zelda I had since I was a kid.

The only thing I own now is a mini snes, and I miss my video games dearly.

Should I start collecting again? I have recurring dreams almost nightly about striking the jack pot, finding hundreds of games (no sports titles) for super cheap or in a dumpster somewhere. Would it really be a waste of life to try to collect and beat all of the first party Nintendo titles?
>>
Lord Lucien - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 23:17:30 EST zS2I364V No.749868 Reply
>Should I start collecting again?
Theres only one way to find out - more acid
>>
Cyan - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 23:49:25 EST o9NJR3ci No.749872 Reply
1582865365988.jpg -(90966B / 88.83KB, 512x288) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>749864
Do you enjoy actually owning physical copies more or the act of gaming?

If it's playing the games you miss and not having a basement full of plastic bricks, why not get a decent PC and some emulators? It sounds like you want classics anyways. You can load ROMs into that mini snes too.

From your post it sounds more like you miss collecting though, so I say go for it.
>>
Smiling Jack - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 02:51:45 EST CiRtp6lc No.749877 Reply
The problem with collecting useless plastic is that one day you will realize youre collecting useless plastic. Collect memories instead.
>>
Guy - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 06:53:23 EST e2At0zr1 No.749885 Reply
I found a box of classic Manga VHS in the street, every title you can imagine. I took a few with good art to put on a shelf and left the rest. Part of me wishes Id taken them but done what? put them under my bed? I dont own a video player and probably wouldnt even want to sell them. You just have to let the plastic crap go, we can watch/play all these things thanks the the internet now anyway.
>>
Andrew Ryan - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 07:24:23 EST ivz5NS07 No.749886 Reply
Collecting shit is just a form of hoarding and hoarding shit you don't use is pathetic. Money, drugs, and guns are fine in my book. Hoard those all you want. Imagine the kick of finding and swallowing some of the world's last remaining Quaaludes.

You want to play some games? Start with some of the thousands of MAME games you've never even heard of.
>>
Cid - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:31:06 EST ++RlJNjq No.749910 Reply
i have a few old ps1 jrpg disc sets among my collection. bunch of old things but those are the only old games i've got that i'd consider to have much value. bought most of them for say $20 per title, all those old multi-disc games by this point sell for about the same as a new current-gen title. i expect them to wind up being even more stupidly expensive in coming years.

one of the many things i kick myself over is having lent out my copy of einhander ages ago, which ofc disappeared within a couple weeks of being at my buddy's apartment. i originally got it for like $15 off amazon (in a time before amazon was ubiquitous, or even widely known.) same disc in box with cover/manual is easily over $100 now. also i fucking love that game and would not have parted with a physical copy willingly.

NEVER LEND OLD GAMES. NEVER SELL OLD GAMES.
unless it's to one of the tiny number of legit places that archive old games.
>>
Pigma Dengar - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 01:33:50 EST IcB310ea No.749911 Reply
Sure, start collecting again if it's something you enjoy. I find the process the most enjoyable part, going to thrift stores and retro shops and browsing a couple times a week. Garage sales too.

That's quite the scam you pulled at goodwill. kinda jealous
>>
Fawkes - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 10:36:44 EST epMAu8Gj No.749913 Reply
>>749910
Hopefully youll be able to make a few quid on those games before you die, or like pass it on to your teary eyed and eternally grateful grandson to make a quick buck or cherish for the rest of their life on your death bed.
>>
Dregs - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 14:13:15 EST XYCFOj5B No.749915 Reply
Possessions never meant anything to me
I'm not crazy
Well that's not true, I've got a bed
And a guitar and a dog named Bob who pisses on my floor
That's right, I've got a floor
So what, so what, so what?

I've got drives full of roms and pirated games
Because experiences are important to me
CDs just seem to scratch and fall to the floor
My closest friend linoleum
>>
Black Whirlwind - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 16:03:21 EST 2Fb9kySD No.749916 Reply
>>749915
Your dog pisses on your floor? You're a shit owner, learn how to control your dog. He owns you, you dont own him.
>>
Carl Johnson - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 16:58:12 EST cCKchG2h No.749918 Reply
>>749864

Digital is the future, get a good PC and you can play all the games.
>>
>>
Katt Monroe - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 22:01:05 EST lmeASA0D No.749936 Reply
1583031665796.gif -(3895155B / 3.71MB, 624x208) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>749928
I never said it was good, and it's totally irrelevant anyway. Should've been obvious from the entire structure of the post that it was from a song or something.
>>
Lu Bu - Sun, 01 Mar 2020 06:52:39 EST 97fh8Qc+ No.749950 Reply
1583063559667.jpg -(210118B / 205.19KB, 840x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>749864
Dude at this point you've destroyed your museum and myriad of wonders and there is no point in re-collecting it all unless you really want to pay out the ass or spend a shit load of time on it. There is a last solution for you though.

Your best bet? Build a super gaming machine of a PC and have it dedicated to running emulations of all that you had lost simply so you can own a digital copy of every physical asset that is now missing from your life.

Then go beyond that and include as many old school PC games you can think of or find from Wolfenstein all the way to Morrowind and beyond.

Then be sure to make a back-up of everything.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.