Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Steam Remote Gay Together review

- Thu, 02 Apr 2020 00:15:44 EST +D/qU05U No.751014
File: 1585800944629.png -(522894B / 510.64KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Steam Remote Gay Together review
Played some internet-based local coop to test this out last night.

Games tested: Gangbeasts; Duck Game; Ultimate Chicken Horse

Voice chat: Reasonably high quality, "just werks" out of the box. Echo cancelling is not very good, so plan to use headphones. Never dropped out. Sometimes game volume was far too loud; keeping games at 5-10% volume or totally off in some situations worked best. However, even when the game was running, it's critical to say again that voice chat never cut out once. It was always there, seamless, from our group chat right into the game.

Connecting: You need to be friends in order to use the feature. Start the game, right click and select Invite to Remote Gay Together. One friend was able to join immediately and select his controller. Other had a problem where I had to cancel the invite and then reinvite every time we played a new game.

Latency: This is what everyone's wondering about. Is this playable with high levels of precision? When Remote Play Together launched with Cuphead as the flagship title, people balked. There's no way the input could be that good.

We were connecting from the US, Canada and Japan. This would be a proper test of how well controls responded. To put it bluntly: when it didn't work, it sucked ass (total freeze, both remote players unable to control anything but I as the host could). But when it did work, it was absolutely brilliant. My friend in Japan was able to absolutely nail shots in Duck Game. And most of the time, it worked. According to them, it was very close to being there, and they didn't feel any need to complain, even in highly input-sensitive games.

Recommend?: It's still rough around the edges, but the core components are there. When it works, it works really well. And the fact that only one person needs to buy and run the game is huge. I'd definitely try this with your stranded homies this Pandemic Season.
>>
James Sunderland - Thu, 02 Apr 2020 00:26:06 EST xT/tDpFO No.751015 Reply
Good thread OP, i was doubting hard but now i want my boy to try gungeon co-op with me
>>
Dan - Thu, 02 Apr 2020 01:33:08 EST ++RlJNjq No.751019 Reply
>>751014
remember pretty much all online networking features are under heavy load due to everyone being in their homes playing games and streaming shit rn. it would be a fair assumption that during normal conditions connectivity issues will be less frequent. (uh do not have links handy but i've seen repeated statements on multiple outlets that steam has been setting successive concurrent user records since the start of the Emergency.)
>>
Pitfall Harry - Thu, 02 Apr 2020 19:45:17 EST FsWBq75H No.751043 Reply
It really is an awesome feature, we even got l4d2 working without much lag, although it's a real hassle to get the controls to work.
I hope they keep updating it, a feature to be able to use multiple kb/m combinations would take away lots of headaches
>>
Kung Lao - Fri, 03 Apr 2020 01:14:22 EST XUc1sXap No.751055 Reply
>>751043
Yeah, that one is really tricky, and I think will never be resolved. Unless games start supporting multiple mice. The way the tech works it just pipes in the input rawdog. That's why they were able to do it, just fakes the input through a different method.

Still, even despite that, awesome. Most couch coop/vs you don't play with mouse/kb anyhow.
>>
Zero - Sun, 05 Apr 2020 03:15:17 EST ek1e+ilg No.751176 Reply
1586070917106.jpg -(341697B / 333.69KB, 1712x1181) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>751014
Tyranny of distance makes lag-free connectivity difficult.
>>
Dr. Breen - Sun, 05 Apr 2020 08:40:42 EST XUc1sXap No.751180 Reply
>>751176
Well, it won't be lag free, but it's highly playable even across the ocean.
>>
Yuna - Fri, 26 Jun 2020 21:02:19 EST xxALWBXM No.753909 Reply
1593219739912.png -(1411479B / 1.35MB, 2083x1285) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I tried it out with a buddy in Divinity Original Sin 2. Thought it'd be a good game to do it on since combat is turn based so if there were any lag, it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it didn't work that well for us for some reason. The stream would be perfect on his end until it suddenly disconnected him. The disconnects happened roughly every 15 minutes. Tried Enter the Gungeon as well and it was the same. Worked fine for about 15 minutes until he was suddenly disconnected.

We couldn't figure out what the issue was. I know it's not a speed thing since I have 400 down/25 up connection as host and he had something like 200/20 and we were both using a wired connection. Fucked around with different settings for the remote play stuff on steam but we eventually gave up.
>>
Yuna - Fri, 26 Jun 2020 21:17:44 EST xxALWBXM No.753910 Reply
>>753909

Oh, quick question too to follow up on this. Anyone know of any other streaming software that's good for streaming and playing local coop with long distance bros? I've heard about Parsec but I don't know shit about it. Is it worth trying out? Any other ones I should look at?

Just wondering. If I could test some other software out and see if it works or not, that'd be an easy way for me to tell if it's something wrong with steam or just something wrong with our connection.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.