Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Harm Reduction Notes for the COVID-19 Pandemic

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Half lifes HEV-suit

- Thu, 21 May 2020 19:21:27 EST GG7vCj4R No.752776
File: 1590103287588.png -(2370267B / 2.26MB, 1600x1726) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Half lifes HEV-suit
is there any video that explains the science behind the Hlaf Life HEV-suit?

And if its possible?
>>
The Prince - Thu, 21 May 2020 20:06:45 EST mB4mXZyZ No.752779 Reply
Seeing as Morphine doesn't regenerate broken limbs and cure poison... I'd say no

But in all seriousness what did the HEV actually do? Have the ability to regenerate armor and inject some kind of stimpack that heals the user? Fast sprinting?

All of these things seem plausible, but something like the Mjolner suit from Halo is far more realistic representation of what it would look like. The science behind that is actually explained, even as far as the gel between the armor pieces being electrocuted and becoming solid, which allowed it the ability to be used as artificial muscles.
>>
Dr. Yang - Thu, 21 May 2020 20:26:53 EST KcJiV89Y No.752783 Reply
1590107213108.jpg -(245131B / 239.39KB, 874x1400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>752776

You would need a space suit hybridized with a proximity suit reinforced with Ratnik Russian combat armor and strengthened with an EksoVest.

With those combined you'd have some heat and bullet resistant gear capable of aiding with the lifting of heavy objects, which would result in a proto-Mjolnir type of space age armor which could also be capable of aquatic excursions as well given enough oxygen.
>>
Dr. Yang - Thu, 21 May 2020 20:33:32 EST KcJiV89Y No.752784 Reply
1590107612108.jpg -(102809B / 100.40KB, 602x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>752783

The space suit would also have to be modified to allow for resistance to deep-sea pressure if one were to want to explore greater fathoms as it could only allow for certain shallower depths be explored.
>>
Dr. Yang - Thu, 21 May 2020 20:39:31 EST KcJiV89Y No.752785 Reply
1590107971108.jpg -(27423B / 26.78KB, 295x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>752784

Having resistance to radiation and biological contaminants would also be needed.
>>
Master Chief - Fri, 22 May 2020 01:47:09 EST ++RlJNjq No.752799 Reply
>>752779
>But in all seriousness what did the HEV actually do?
it was a multifunctional hardsuit to allow a human to work safely in hazardous environments. contained internal cooling/heating systems, likely a heat pump all in one solution for that. the outer materials at least are resistant to (presumably a range of) corrosive or otherwise nasty chemicals. by necessity it was water and airtight, had either limited onboard oxygen supplies or rebreather functionality, and was possibly space-worthy.

power-assisted movement is mentioned specifically by its onboard computer voice during startup, this would be either servos underneath the armor or myoelectric (tell me that's the right word) artificial muscles. i'm leaning towards servos considering that's the route most modern power assist devices go for. artificial muscles are still on the lab table and servos are more than capable. (ex: those boston dynamics robo dogs run on the same basic technology we've had since the late 1800's but small and hooked to a computer.)
>>752781
on his shoulder is a servo motor pack and looks like flexible straps it can spool back to help pull the arm maybe, think of something a bit more miniaturized and with an orange carbon fiber shell on top.

if you imagine a massive black-money project throwing nation state money at this idea the HEV suit is feasible. was feasible even in 1998 when HL1 released. everything i've mentioned is well proven technology. imagine a black book project throwing nation-state money into miniaturizing a heat pump and coolant loop, servo packs and mechanical transmission, and rebreather system into something light enough that an average person can comfortably support it. it's entirely possible.

the armor capability relying on the power supply is where it gets sketchy, it's just half-life's version of armor points mechanic. taking it IRL assumes you're using some form of reactive armor, such as the magical electrically-hardening cloth people have been talking about for decades but which is still a half-century away. the suit already has a shell, you can kevlar that bitch right up and be good. with powered movement assist you could load the whole thing with body plates without worrying about the user's endurance.

TL;DR: the reason we don't see power suits commonly is because everything i mentioned is really fucking expensive, in large part because it has to keep a human operator alive and comfortable enough to function. it is FAR cheaper to build a damn robot instead. the only reason HEV suits would be developed would be if there was no way to maintain communications with a remote robot. (perhaps they couldn't get a data transmission into xen. idk)
>>
Koopa Troopa - Sat, 23 May 2020 02:15:44 EST T3BNZsfL No.752825 Reply
>>752799
Trippy, I posted some pics of protective suits and a basic presumption and then this alter dimensional version of myself comes out of the blue to finish the statement. Are you me? Are we all the same being in a cohesive hive mind in the universal one-ness of all life?

Sup me.

>>752824

That's some chonky diving gear.
>>
Prince of Persia - Sat, 23 May 2020 06:41:45 EST FNfB90Cs No.752827 Reply
>>752824
the saddest part is, there is really no extensive video-footage of these iron-man-diving-suits anywhere.
All I can find are short snippets.

>people spend thousands of dollars to rent this suit
>noone thinks about filming their dives
>>
>>
Nana & Popo - Sat, 23 May 2020 23:53:10 EST WAMLGFs2 No.752839 Reply
>>752837

I got to see one of those suits up close at the hard rock cafe at universal studios, they're pretty wicked, and very large.
>>
Gravy Trader - Sun, 24 May 2020 21:41:47 EST +0yi7xMh No.752857 Reply
1590370907553.jpg -(76940B / 75.14KB, 650x1086) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>752776

Idk...a layer of armored plates and exosuit-like shock absorption...over top some kind of high-impact ballistic gel suit lined with lead? I imagine with every bullet, hit, and hard landing; The outer orange and grey metal plates deflect and protect, and the gel layer beneath absorbs the shock, preventing internal trauma. However, as it sustains more impacts, the gel loses its "potency" and needs to be recharged at one of those HEV stations. When its out of batteries, the user is still protected to a degree by the plating, but will begin to sustain fractures and bruising as the gel has lost its integrity.

I assume the thing on the back (from the original hl1 suit) is what houses the systems for Oxygen/Automatic medical assistance. Probably well insulated too, as Gordon can be observed surviving electric currents that would instantly gib a lesser scientist.

Despite being a piece of industrial equipment, there is also some intriguing design choices related to combat, like ammunition readouts. Maybe that's handy if you use a nailgun or micropinner on a jobsite, but it seems like they were planning on implementing a combat model of the HEV suit, and this was a civilian prototype. Both the PCV from Opposing Force and Standard-Issue Combine Soldier armor works in a similar fashion with their own respective recharge stations. Peculiar...

I don't think the suit can fix fractures, but maybe it has some sort of system in place to detect and scan fractures, administer morphine, and the gel "molds" itself appropriately to comfortably set the fractured bones and hold them in place firmly, like a super advanced version of a cast or splint that allows you to still use a fractured limb comfortably, but its the suit that is doing the heavy lifting.

The suit's "voice" seems to only mention Morphine, but I think it's likely that it can flood the user with a cocktail of stimulants, painkillers, and steroids to send the body into overdrive; ensuring you can survive long enough to escape danger and seek better medical attention. There's also probably a tank to hold a sizeable reserve of transfusion-ready blood that matches the user's blood type. I imagine it would be administered with a series of syringes that inject directly into the muscles surrounding your spine, responding appropriately to fluctuating health/vital readouts.

Honestly I want one, you have any idea how easy my job would be? It'd be like being a human/forklift hybrid.

Thing is, if this were a real thing...over use would probably cause the occupant's muscles to wither and atrophy, like what backbraces end up doing to people with scoliosis. Black Mesa better have good health coverage...Gordon would be at the clinic every damn day.

..or maybe Gordon is just yolked af, because something like this would require both the intense training and physical prowess of an Astronaut or Fighter pilot. Hardly something you can achieve in a 15 minute training orientation.
>>
Kamek - Thu, 28 May 2020 05:51:07 EST Fncw37q9 No.752931 Reply
It's an armored hazmat suit? I also imagine it as such.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.