Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Anyone still play Arena or Daggerfall?

- Sat, 27 Jun 2020 19:07:49 EST eh9pVT2B No.753943
File: 1593299269579.jpg -(59928B / 58.52KB, 450x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Anyone still play Arena or Daggerfall?
I've been sucked into Morrowind for the first time. A friend has been easing me into the "high fantasy" genre I used to not like, played DnD for a bit and then he said Elder Scrolls is basically DnD in a game. Morrowind and Oblivion were on sale so I got them.

I'm a total noob playing on -100 difficulty but still it's amazing, but you all knew that 20 years ago.

Since Bethesda made Arena and Daggerfall free I've been thinking of going even further back in time to play those too. Some things sound really appealing - Arena's randomly generated dungeons and Daggerfall's sheer size. But I've also been warned they are extremely hard and so old and outdated there's kind of no point.

Anyone here like those games? What do you think, tell me about them.
>>
Radical Rex - Sat, 27 Jun 2020 19:12:23 EST az2V8Y7c No.753944 Reply
I'd give Daggerfall a go for curiosity's sake, but not Arena. Arena's just Daggerfall but not as good.
>>
Four - Sun, 28 Jun 2020 00:02:47 EST fLq+2tKX No.753962 Reply
1593316967327.jpg -(235206B / 229.69KB, 720x744) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I've been meaning to try out Daggerfall on the Unity engine. Looks a lot more tolerable than the original. I did play it for a while and I can see why people can really get into it.
>>
Bolozof Velasgo - Sun, 28 Jun 2020 08:33:15 EST X3e/+ehg No.753968 Reply
>>753943

Morrowind was my first TES, then Oblivion and Skyrim... I do however own Arena and Daggerfall just have yet to play, though I hear Daggerfall is the better of the two...

Recently I configured The Witcher 1 to work with a controller and it now plays like the 2nd and 3rd, it is a wonderful experience. Once I have finished up my Witcher binge I will use similar methods to bind Daggerfall's controls to a controller to make it play smoothly. May even do the same for Blood, Duke Nukem, other older titles.

Thanks for reminding me of them. They've been buried in my game library for too long.
>>
Chihuahua of a brazilian variety - Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:18:59 EST eyAGeTlR No.753986 Reply
1593375539726.jpg -(289774B / 282.98KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I have played quite a bit of daggerfall, but I haven't played the unity engine remake yet. Is it good?
>>
Four - Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:38:01 EST +1wdLcSu No.753989 Reply
>>753986
Yeah its decent. I like it, it makes it a lot more immersive and fun. Easy to setup and run.
>>
Harman Smith - Tue, 30 Jun 2020 09:15:12 EST DLj2jr43 No.754067 Reply
I played through Arena once doing a play through of all of them in order but it really wasn't worth it. Daggerfall though I still play on a semi-regular basis, although I play Morrowind quite a bit more since I think it hits that sweet spot between complexity and streamlined playing, plus mods.

The thing I like about both Morrowind and Daggerfall is they're more like fever dreams or a trip than trying to just be kind of a cookie cutter "the dark ages but with magic and elves" like Arena, Oblivion, and Skyrim are. Granted the lore IS still quite a bit more interesting than almost any other fantasy game that comes to mind, at least ones that aren't based on existing IPs. But both Morrowind and Daggerfall have this very eerie vibe to them that I really like.

For what it's worth I also really enjoy ESO and don't get mad at the lore because literally all of actual history is conflicting accounts and misunderstandings anyway, I don't particularly give a shit about consistency as long as there aren't any sort of wild deviations which I find few in ESO that can't be explained away with "it was a long ass times ago, things were different back then".

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.