Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

^ YOUR AD COULD BE HERE! ADVERTISE ON 420CHAN FOR ONLY $100 A MONTH! ^

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated March 20)
Backpacking/Thru Hiking/Hiking general by Archie Cuzzlewock - Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:34:56 EST ID:Qdq0zIao No.35935 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1542663296078.jpg -(146706B / 143.27KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 146706
This is a thread to discuss Thru Hiking, also called backpacking and also hiking in general. Not to be confused with the other type of backpacking: traveling around for cheap with just what you can carry on your back. This thread is a bit more specific and is for discussing trail hikes or even backcountry trailblazing. Techniques, supplies, gear, luxuries, psychology, physical preparation and effects, etc.

What's your favorite hike you've done? My favorite was the Hidden Canyon Trail in Zion National Park. It had a beautiful view, some really sketchy segments (the trail was cut into the side of a cliff and it was so narrow that there was a chain on the side of the cliff to hold onto) and I even got to see some mountain goats.
>>
Archie Cuzzlewock - Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:43:08 EST ID:Qdq0zIao No.35936 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1542663788078.jpg -(83983B / 82.01KB, 1024x682) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I'm going to be doing my first thru hike early this coming summer, and I"m gonna post my gear I plan to bring. I've never done a long hike like this, but I've done a lot of hiking. I'm an intermediate when it comes to hiking in general and am ecstatic to make the leap to surviving out there on my own for extended amounts of time and really testing myself, my will, and the strength of my psyche on a long solo hike.

The first thru hike I'm planning to do is the Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas. It is about 180 miles. Some people have been able to do this in a week to 10 days, I imagine it might be closer to two weeks for me but I really have no clue. Like they say "hike your own hike" and listen to your body. I only know that I've managed to hike 10+ miles a day for a week straight at 7k-10k altitude, so I think I might be able to do 15 miles per day on this trail which is not as steep as the rockies and is lower altitude.

My goal will be 12 miles, but if I'm not able to sustain that I will not push myself too hard, or else I'm liable to overexert myself and end up with T-Rex knees and have to sit it out for a couple days. If I can do more than 12 miles, then that's great.

My gear that I intend to bring is going to be as light as possible and will have very few comfort items. I'm not gonna be like some people who bring a hatchet, a wood cutting ax, a machete, a big ass stove, etc, etc. My list so far is:

60 liter backpack.
One down blanket. I'm opting out of a sleeping bag because the one I have is heavy and it shouldn't be that cold. A quality down sleeping bag is not cheap.
One inflatable pillow or pool toy that I can blow up and use as a pillow. Some people don't even bring pillows but I feel like this is something that could be a huge comfort.
One pair of synthetic hiking pants. No jeans. Sticking to something waterproof and light.
One breathable athletic shirt.
One pair of athletic shorts.
One cotton more comfortable shirt.
One pair of thermal underpants just in case.
2 pair of underwear and one pair of light breathable socks and one pair of wool socks.
One rain jacket that is also insulating so it serves a double purpose in case of cold weather.
One space blanket.
One small stove that burns fuel bricks. Fuel bricks can also be used to start campfires.
2 lighters and a box of matches.
Multiple gallon and sandwich sized ziplock backs for keeping things waterproof and packing trash out.
Enamel or steel cup and small pot.
Lifestraw water filter/bottle.
Extra canteen in case the water filter fails or to keep extra non potable water for cleaning with or other uses.
One mini pocket knife.
One large knife (6-7", sturdy) that can be used to cut wood if the need arises.
Paracord.
Duct tape.
One sleeping pad.
One small one person tent. Possibly a military style simple triangular set up.
Rice, oats, dried fruit, nuts, energy bars, canned fish or chicken, maybe high end MRE's for a nice meal for one or two nights. A few seasonings/sugar.
Toiletries: Toilet paper, soap, small amount of shampoo, small towel, toothpaste, etc.
Maps, trail guides, literature on local flora.
Small notepad and pencil for recording thoughts.
Solar panel electronics charger or battery charger set up.
Kindle Paperwhite for reading (maybe: I've read you think you have more free time but really all you end up doing is hiking, eating, and sleeping)
Folding spade (maybe)

Once I have all of this written down, it feels like a bit much. Does anybody here have anything to add or think anything can be cut down? All at once I feel like this is the bare necessities and it feels like too much. I'd have to weigh all this stuff to be sure, but I'm guessing it would weigh about 30-40 lb if I pack 1 pound of food per day and pick up more as needed as I make it to state parks and towns. I know the first time is a learning experience on what to pack, so I probably shouldn't over plan, but I don't want to be weighed down.
>>
Archie Cuzzlewock - Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:57:41 EST ID:Qdq0zIao No.35937 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35936
I forgot to list my first aid kid which includes some alcohol swabs, bandages, athletic tape, gauze, neosporin, bug bite cream, nsaids, tums, instant cold compress, lip balm, etc.
>>
Archie Cuzzlewock - Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:02:31 EST ID:Qdq0zIao No.35938 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35937
Shit also, my Merrell Hiking boots. A lot of people say use trail runners but I've found ankle support to be invaluable on the trail because when you're in the groove it is pretty easy to step on a rock and twist and ankle.
>>
James Randi - Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:11:41 EST ID:ZZWaHc37 No.35947 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I hitched across europe like 4 times. Not exactly hiking but its hiking adjacent.

I seriously underestimated what gear to bring first time out

Things I should of had but didn't.

A better tent (not a one person boddy bag essentially)
Sleeping mat
Better shoes
Lighter and more compact gear. But it seems most "compression" gear is massivly more expensive.
bigger bag. ( chose a 50L bag, I should of chosen the 70L)

^ YOUR AD COULD BE HERE! ADVERTISE ON 420CHAN FOR ONLY $100 A MONTH! ^
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.