Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Repair general

- Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:00:40 EST PaBiavbL No.34405
File: 1477422040700.jpg -(4008285B / 3.82MB, 4208x3120) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Repair general
Looked back a few pages and didn't see a thread on this. Post mechanical problems you're unsure how to diagnose and/or fix and we can try to help each other.

I'll start: A couple of days ago my car started giving off a rattling sound, either in or below the engine block or at least near it. It only starts rattling when I'm maintaining a speed or initially upon deceleration. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, doesn't make the sound while idle. I'm hoping something minor is loose, but I fear the worst.
>>
Angus Farringworth - Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:42:20 EST 5XSkQCKo No.34407 Reply
>>34405
Your problem is that it is a Volkswagen. Prepare to spend 10k dollars and possibly have it totaled.

>Does it rattle in time with the engine RPM's? As in, does it rattle faster when the engine is running faster?
>Does it rattle when you move the throttle when the hood is open and you are next to it?
>Does it rattle in neutral when you rev it or hold it at a higher RPM?
>Notice any loss in power/change in handling?
>Does it stop after the engine is hot?
>Does it only do it in the cold?
>Do you have an exhaust leak?
>Is your oil low?
>Is your coolant low?
>Are your valves in tolerance?
>Have you had a diagnostic code ran on it? (Do this at a place that doesn't track this kind of shit so you can sell it without it coming up in some online database.)
>Have you googled your problem?
>>
Beatrice Blerringsore - Wed, 26 Oct 2016 01:45:23 EST NFWvFuC5 No.34408 Reply
did you check the oil?
did you pop the hood and see if anything is loose?
if not, go to a dealership and get ripped off due to ignorance.
>>
Phoebe Cashhire - Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:43:51 EST r0QYtRpH No.34409 Reply
>>34407
>Your problem is that it is a Volkswagen
Hahaha yes yes, so I've come to learn over these few years.

>No
>No
>No
>No
>No
>No
>No
>No. It was old but I just changed it and the noise persists
>No
>Yes
>No
>Yes, but nothing quite matches my problem. CV joint or an issue with bearings is the closest.

I suspect it's something to do with one or more of the CV joints or maybe a brake boot, as it's up front and below. However it isn't exacerbated by turning, but what's weird is it happens when I initially apply the brakes then stops if I continue pressing, persisting if I release. I don't have to be breaking either, it starts rattling if I am no longer accelerating.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions
>>
George Fuddlestone - Wed, 26 Oct 2016 20:42:23 EST XdZgMX9x No.34410 Reply
>>34409
my car used to make a rattling sound cause the clutch that engages the ac motor was just a mm off.

sound more like a ringing to me then a rattle. like two plates spinning and touching ever so slightly. the mechanic pointed out ehe fine metal dust to me.
>>
Nigel Ficklebanks - Thu, 27 Oct 2016 09:21:48 EST LvscTyew No.34412 Reply
>>34405
Sounds kinda like suspension related if it occurs during weight transfer
>>
Graham Penningpud - Sat, 29 Oct 2016 14:00:11 EST sTpNd8MN No.34419 Reply
>>34412
I checked after you brought this up, my suspension is fine.
Turns out it was my radiator support rattling around. I knew it was damaged but not that bad. Months ago some fuckhead was going like 90mph weaving around with nothing tied down to the bed of his truck. A box tumbles out and I'm the lucky bastard who gets to receive it. Managed to avoid a windshield hit but it smashed into the drivers side part of the bumper. I had used zip ties to put the support back up but I guess the damage was more extensive and/or a pothole knocked it loose again.

Also my cv axles were shot and I have an exhaust leak so that could have made the rattle more pronounced.

Just doubled up on zip ties and replaced the axles, will deal with the leak when I can afford it. I'm not getting lungs full of fumes and my car drives fine for now so that can wait

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.