Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Now Playing on /wooo/tube -

The Elite

!!4vMEXnV5 - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:18:27 EST 8xUvQF3I No.6282817
File: 1565641107328.jpg -(57905B / 56.55KB, 750x424) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. The Elite
Seems like everything these guys touch turns to gold right now, some questions

>If Tony Khan started a promotion on TNT with Prince Devitt, Daniel Bryan, Anderson and Gallows and Naito (That's just random, you can pick anyone at the same level), would it be as popular? could a certain group of wrestlers be *more* popular than these guys?
>How much do they owe NJPW and the Bullet Club gimmick for their popularity?
>How much do they owe reviewers like Dave Meltzer who heavily puts over their style of wrestling (apart from Cody obviously until recently)
>If they hadn't partnered with the Khans could they make their own promotion and would it be as big?
>If you took away The Bucks would it make a difference (or Cody, or Kenny)?
>>
Johnny B. Badd - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:26:24 EST Kqr8c+vw No.6282826 Reply
>Seems like everything these guys touch turns to gold right now,
New Japan is better without them right now
>>
Terri Runnels - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:30:04 EST jCH8J3Fu No.6282829 Reply
>If Tony Khan started a promotion on TNT with Prince Devitt, Daniel Bryan, Anderson and Gallows and Naito (That's just random, you can pick anyone at the same level), would it be as popular?
yes
>could a certain group of wrestlers be *more* popular than these guys?
ABSOLUTELY

>How much do they owe reviewers like Dave Meltzer who heavily puts over their style of wrestling (apart from Cody obviously until recently)
A LOT

>If they hadn't partnered with the Khans could they make their own promotion and would it be as big?
LOL NO. They were going to go to WWE if this didn't happen.

The Bucks' absence would matter least. Publicly, Kenny's absence would matter most. But in terms of actually building what's working with AEW, Cody is the biggest difference maker
>>
Tank Abbott - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:39:10 EST NpmqCx/u No.6282836 Reply
>If Tony Khan started a promotion on TNT with Prince Devitt, Daniel Bryan, Anderson and Gallows and Naito (That's just random, you can pick anyone at the same level), would it be as popular? could a certain group of wrestlers be *more* popular than these guys?
Nah.

Some.

Plenty.

Sure.

Bucks dying in a horrific accident would only be a positive in any scenario.
>>
Kazarian - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:42:38 EST LUMg+nxK No.6282838 Reply
>>If Tony Khan started a promotion on TNT with Prince Devitt, Daniel Bryan, Anderson and Gallows and Naito (That's just random, you can pick anyone at the same level), would it be as popular? could a certain group of wrestlers be *more* popular than these guys?

depends on how hard dave put them over

none really, since the bullet club just became dx lite while they were in the group

>>How much do they owe reviewers like Dave Meltzer who heavily puts over their style of wrestling (apart from Cody obviously until recently)

they better cut dave a big ass check if they get big

they would have to find someone the foot the bill because if they did it themselves, it wouldn't last too long

Cody seems to be the only one who's really steering this ship, so take away Cody it would probably be bad.
>>
Husky Harris - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:51:58 EST d1obD4PJ No.6282846 Reply

taking Kenny off would probably make their show better since all he does is hire DDT/Stardom shitters and Z-list internet "celebrities".
>>
Kazarian - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:53:20 EST LUMg+nxK No.6282849 Reply
>>6282846
i mean yeah, he's at fault for hiring the stardom gaijins but don't you fucking talk shit about big kaiju
>>
Diamond Dallas Page - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:54:53 EST WuGJ2oLB No.6282854 Reply
>>6282817
> Seems like everything these guys touch turns to gold right now
Wouldn't say that considering the standard of the last two events they ran. They say they want to present one type of product only to do the complete opposite. Plus just look at all the vanilla flippy midgets they are hiring, they don't want diversity of wrestlers whatsoever, just the same old shit you can watch elsewhere.
>>
Wifebeater - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:07:45 EST U28QmYT+ No.6282868 Reply
>>6282854
>last two events
If their last two events were so bad, why did the event that came after sell out so quickly?
>>
Yoshi Tatsu - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:10:39 EST TR0kPi1d No.6282872 Reply
Yeah for sure, a good combination of stars with a good booker would be as big or bigger
A lot but not as much as some people would tell you
He's on their payroll brother
Maybe they could have made a promotion of their own, but nowhere as big as AEW
Cody seems like the mastermind behind all of this and Omega is their star, so if you had to take away someone it would be the bucks
>>
Terri Runnels - Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:12:17 EST jCH8J3Fu No.6282873 Reply
>>6282868
>if monday night raw was so bad, why did wrestlemania still sell out?
>>
Mototsugu Shimizu - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:18:03 EST 03MGVs+U No.6283269 Reply
>>6282829
>LOL NO. They were going to go to WWE if this didn't happen.

Were they, I would have thought after the success of All In (Which was an ROH production disguised as something else) they would have tried to do it again no matter what.

It seemed to come together with the Khans pretty quickly after All In, I wonder if that was always the plan and All In was a test run to gauge the market. Either way ROH are probably pissed.
>>
R.D. Evans - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:25:11 EST BlrIoG3o No.6283271 Reply
>>6283269
one of the bucks said until tony khan came with the offer, they seriously thought they were going to WWE

"AEW" started with Tony. Meltz had a report that he was thinking about this start-up last year and Punk was his "first pick" https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832573-report-ex-wwe-star-cm-punk-was-tony-khan-first-pick-when-starting-aew

And then in the fall, the rumor mill started circulating that Jericho and JR (who share barry bloom as an agent) were in talks with "someone" about starting up their own promotion. Jericho was toying with going to Impact and tried to see if Tony would buy it but he wanted to start fresh.

It seems like the nucleus of AEW started with Tony-Jericho-JR and then ALL OUT convinced them that those were the talents to launch with.

And ALL OUT really was the Elite's attempt to run their own show. Based on the stuff they all said in interviews, it seemed like it was their pitch to ROH to take over the promotion, but ROH wasn't interested so they felt like they were going to leave after December... and then Tony swooped in with his pitch.
>>
Derrick Bateman - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:16:13 EST YhuTqZ9b No.6283432 Reply
>>6283271
>And ALL OUT really was the Elite's attempt to run their own show. Based on the stuff they all said in interviews, it seemed like it was their pitch to ROH to take over the promotion, but ROH wasn't interested so they felt like they were going to leave after December... and then Tony swooped in with his pitch.

Looking at it just as a fan, it made zero sense that ROH continued their status quo product following All In. I'm not saying that putting Cody and the Bucks in charge was the answer, but there was clearly a ton of opportunity directly after... and they did nothing.

But looking at ROH now it's clear how that happened.
>>
Bobby Lashley - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 18:16:37 EST 0ia2DwE9 No.6283493 Reply

it might depend on the time period but no, i dont think so

I know we hate the bucks here, i dotn despise them like most but im not as huge a fan as i was 4-5 years ago but this really should be the other way around. Domestic (US) recognition of that brand was built on the backs of the Bucks hustling the indies after their release from TNA. New Japan didnt have the international market penetration until AFTER wrestle kingdom 9 and AJ and by then the Bullet CLub was already over in america, if as a tshirt if nothing else. Combine this with the rising popularity of Talkn Shop

>How much do they owe reviewers like Dave Meltzer who heavily puts over their style of wrestling

very little: If we're talking podcasts id actually give that credit to Piledriver Audio who was really the first podcasters i heard discuss what was happening in NJPW at length. By the time i heard Dave consistently talk about the bucks they were already well over

no, you need the money...well actually possibly. i mean money is the significant factor but it helps for that money to be hugely invested in the product but willing enough to defer to people who know the business. They clearly had a sizable chunk of audience as seen by the immediate downturn of ROH's business but Kahn had the tv contacts

absolutely. The bucks are the two people in the group who wrestling business wise have their fingers mostly entrenched in the alt-WWE market, cody's only been out of the system for a few years, Kenny has been in Japan but the bucks have been travelling Indies worldwide for the better part of 7 years cultivating exactly what that crowd wants from a wrestling show. then they went into ROH and proved it successful on a small scale. all of the small little steps that got to AEW you can see the Bucks having a major hand in it. They got Bullet Club over outside of Japan, when that was too small they got their own brand over, when ROH tv wasnt enough they made their own show, when ROH pay perview wasnt enough they did their own (with help of course but that was still an Elite show, not ROH) and finally when ROH was too small they made their own company. They took the Post Scotty Goldman Colt Cabana business model and fucking ran with it.
>>
R.D. Evans - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 18:32:04 EST BlrIoG3o No.6283512 Reply
1565735524082.jpg -(58760B / 57.38KB, 1080x1077) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>6283493
>Domestic (US) recognition of that brand was built on the backs of the Bucks hustling the indies after their release from TNA

i don't think you were actually watching if you don't think the Tanahashi-Okada rivalry, Nakaumura "Swag" aura, and AJ Styles' jump were the biggest impacts.
>>
Bobby Lashley - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 19:06:39 EST 0ia2DwE9 No.6283540 Reply
>>6283512
the G1 before WK9 was my first solid experience in NJPW.i say solid because i drifted in and out prior. Watching the shows i knew Tana/Okada/Nakamura were the biggest factors inside the company but they werent bringing the audience in en masse. They damn sure kept the audience once eyes started watching but the Bucks doing tours were the genesis of the new outside audience. Even here people were mostly talking about Nakamura and that wasnt a lot of talk and we're a microcosm. The Bucks were coming back and forth from NJPW Under Bullet Club in 2013 AJ wouldnt show up there for another year by then i was already seeing BC shirts in PWG 2013 and PWG was heating up then. that was The Bucks
>>
R.D. Evans - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 19:29:21 EST BlrIoG3o No.6283556 Reply
1565738961082.gif -(3660927B / 3.49MB, 480x270) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>6283540
>Tana/Okada/Nakamura were the biggest factors inside the company but they werent bringing the audience in en masse
>the Bucks doing tours were the genesis of the new outside audience
then why were the Bucks working the curtain jerker in a 4 way while Tana, Okada, Nakamura and AJ headline WK 9?

> i was already seeing BC shirts in PWG 2013
and Prince Devitt and Karl Anderson had nothing to do with that? or the fact that you saw those t-shirts in the Bucks' *home promotion* of 150 people? The Bucks didn't even debut in NJPW until October of 2013, working the Jr tag tourney
>>
Bobby Lashley - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 19:49:24 EST 0ia2DwE9 No.6283566 Reply
>>6283556
>then why were the Bucks working the curtain jerker in a 4 way while Tana, Okada, Nakamura and AJ headline WK 9?

1) because theyre juniors
2) BEcause the main eventers were Tana/Okada and Nakamura and were the biggest stars INSIDE japan but outside The Bucks were the ones turning eyes because NJPW had almost ZERO market presence outside of Japan. In fact it was Jarret and GFW promoting the WK9 ppv that opened up that access.

>and Prince Devitt and Karl Anderson had nothing to do with that?

again WK9 was a over a year after the bucks signed
so Not really, neither of them were working dates outside of japan while in BC. Honestly aside from the Bucks on the west coast, it was Gallows on the east coast cuz he did the same thing, worked a bunch of tiny ass indie shows and sold BC shirts on them but until they joined NONE of the BC guys were working dates outside of Japan and there was no streaming network or...i dont even remember if they had TV at the time honestly cuz i followed G1 through result sites and Piledriver Audio
>>
Jim Johnston - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 20:56:39 EST BlrIoG3o No.6283619 Reply
>>6283566
>In fact it was Jarret and GFW promoting the WK9 ppv that opened up that access.
yes and it was marketed around Tana & Okada not the Bucks
>>
Justin Gabriel - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 21:26:26 EST Uz1bd5r7 No.6283667 Reply
>>6282817
What this elite has that any other group lacks is cody. Cody is spark in here and only one who has potential to be good booker. But he is still his dads son, even more then dustin. In good and bad, and every one saw how JCP ended.
>>
Leva Bates - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 22:25:10 EST GXHNtkkw No.6283731 Reply
Whoever decided to youtube their way into the hearts of the funko pop crowd is the guy who is important to them.
the rest are background noise
>>
Hardcore Holly - Tue, 13 Aug 2019 23:52:09 EST gh69CKgg No.6283768 Reply
>>6283493
>>They took the Post Scotty Goldman Colt Cabana business model and fucking ran with it.
Like a lot of things, Colt doesn't get nearly enough credit for making the Bucks hustlers. I think they directly learned how to sell and hustle like Colt from Colt.
>>
Shu Shibutani - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 03:11:41 EST h1FYSX1b No.6283804 Reply
>>6282817
I want to switch timelines to the Devitt, Bryan, Gallows and Gun, and Naito promotion.
>>
Jackie Gayda - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 05:57:38 EST lOPsGSxe No.6283825 Reply
>>6282817
You are absolutely clueless if you think The Elite was what got the show on TNT and not Tony Khan. Use some common sense.
>>
Pokka !!4vMEXnV5 - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 06:17:28 EST 8xUvQF3I No.6283826 Reply
>>6283825
but would they have had the sellout shows and the general buzz without the Elite?
>>
Bobby Lashley - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 06:56:46 EST 1aDz+fsM No.6283830 Reply
>>6283619
As it should have been. I think y’all are missing my point. The selling point wasn’t the young bucks but it was the young bucks and gallows to a lesser extent that were saying to an audience outside Japan “hey come check these guys out over here, Their top stars are having the best matches in the world”. Especially because the bucks and Okada are pretty tight. They would consistently be on podcasts or highspots shows or whatever shoot stuff they were doing at the time really putting New Japan over to a market that didn’t have access to New Japan, no one was wearing bullet club shirts outside of Japan because you couldn’t GET bullet club shirts outside of Japan until the Bucks and Gallows started selling them (or you bought one of Tama’s bootlegs) And once people checked out New Japan for the bucks match They kept watching because of Nakamura and then Tana and Okada. Before the Bucks the only gaijin I really heard heavily pushing NJPW was Alex shelley cuz he was one of my faves from TNA and he kinda disappeared cuz he was doing the time splitters
>>
Bobby Lashley - Wed, 14 Aug 2019 07:11:12 EST 1aDz+fsM No.6283832 Reply
>>6283768
The final episode of the Kevin steen show they are very quick to say that everything they learned business wise and marketing the bucks as a brand, they learned from Colt Canana. Even to the point I think it was Cabana who told them they had to get merch made because at the time they didn’t have any

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.